Cooking for cats with diarrhea

Old March 11th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JWL

Default Cooking for cats with diarrhea

Kelly Greene wrote:
"Bohgosity BumaskiL" wrote in
message ...

Tuna is choice food, because it is entirely meat, and extremely
popular with three of the cats I had or hav. I see no evidence for
supposition that cats do anything but tolerate carbohydrates, some
cats more than others.

Tuna is not a natural part of a cat's diet. It should be a treat,
not fed daily.

For one of my cats, the recipe at the top of this thread is the only
thing I know that does not cause diarrhea. I can't omit Wasabi,
either. I do not know about Paprika, because I've never run out of
that. It goes with eggs, anyway.

My other cat seems to be able to eat just about anything; kibble,
canned turkey and cheeze, tuna keesh, popcorn, mayonaise, butter --
and she haz never had diarrhea. She does occasionally barf, though I
think that haz more to do with hairballs than anything else, now that
she is over three years old.
_______
Cats do not really hav names. The only thing in the world that knows
the name of a cat is an electric can opener or a warm lap.

Old March 11th 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JWL

Bill Graham wrote:
Kelly Greene wrote:
"Bohgosity BumaskiL" wrote in
message ...

Tuna is choice food, because it is entirely meat, and extremely
popular with three of the cats I had or hav. I see no evidence for
supposition that cats do anything but tolerate carbohydrates, some
cats more than others.

Tuna is not a natural part of a cat's diet. It should be a treat,
not fed daily.

In Japan, they sometimes get over $100,000 for just one tuna fish. -
I am amazed at the price in the local super. I pay 50 cents for a
5-1/2 oz. can. Of course, they ruin it by cooking it...:^)

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to
be part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish.
So, when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.
_______
Sorry, but I forgot all about the Amnesia Convention!

Old March 11th 11, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"JWL" wrote
Bill Graham wrote:

In Japan, they sometimes get over $100,000 for just one tuna fish. -

Thats 100,000 yen. That would be a live large one (several hundred lbs) and
to translate to dollars, remove the first 2 zeros for a rough estimate.

Cut down, you have over 100 lbs of sashimi or '10$ a lb'.

I am amazed at the price in the local super. I pay 50 cents for a
5-1/2 oz. can. Of course, they ruin it by cooking it...:^)

There's 'tuna' and there's 'tuna'. Several types of fish are called that.
The type in cans isn't the expensive version.

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to be
part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not cook Tuna
with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish. So, when I eat
fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

Grin, hate to tell you but all canned fish is cooked. It's part of the
canning process. It's not only for presevation but to kill any possible
marine parasites.

Old March 12th 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

JWL wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
Kelly Greene wrote:
"Bohgosity BumaskiL" wrote in
message ...

Tuna is choice food, because it is entirely meat, and extremely
popular with three of the cats I had or hav. I see no evidence for
supposition that cats do anything but tolerate carbohydrates, some
cats more than others.

Tuna is not a natural part of a cat's diet. It should be a treat,
not fed daily.

In Japan, they sometimes get over $100,000 for just one tuna fish. -
I am amazed at the price in the local super. I pay 50 cents for a
5-1/2 oz. can. Of course, they ruin it by cooking it...:^)

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to
be part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish.
So, when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

I love sushi, and the best is made with sashimi, or raw fish. but I know
that every time I eat it, I am taking a chance on picking up some kind of
aquatic worm, so My cats and I don't indulge much anymore.....

Old March 12th 11, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

cshenk wrote:
"JWL" wrote
Bill Graham wrote:

[...]

Yes. Nowadays, the closest I usually come to raw fish is lox, which is
heavily smolked, and hardly "raw". One of my cats loves it too, but it is
very salty, and I don't think it is good for her. I used to eat a canned
sardine that was packed in Jalapeno's. One of my cats loved it, even though
it was so hot I could barely stand it. I finally decided that she couldn't
taste the heat, probably because cats don't eat vegatable matter, so after
millions of years, their tongues have probably lost their ability to taste
red pepper acid. Anyway, she and I would really enjoy those canned
treats......

Old March 12th 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Bill Graham wrote:
JWL wrote:

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to
be part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish.
So, when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

I love sushi, and the best is made with sashimi, or raw fish. but I know
that every time I eat it, I am taking a chance on picking up some kind
of aquatic worm, so My cats and I don't indulge much anymore.....

That's why you must have sake with sushi, to kill the worms.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old March 12th 11, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Patok wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:
JWL wrote:

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to
be part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish.
So, when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

I love sushi, and the best is made with sashimi, or raw fish. but I
know that every time I eat it, I am taking a chance on picking up
some kind of aquatic worm, so My cats and I don't indulge much
anymore.....

That's why you must have sake with sushi, to kill the worms.

I can do that, but I don't think I can get my cats to do it.....
Old March 12th 11, 05:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patok[_2_]

Bill Graham wrote:

Yes. Nowadays, the closest I usually come to raw fish is lox, which is
heavily smolked, and hardly "raw". One of my cats loves it too, but it
is very salty, and I don't think it is good for her. I used to eat a
canned sardine that was packed in Jalapeno's. One of my cats loved it,
even though it was so hot I could barely stand it. I finally decided
that she couldn't taste the heat, probably because cats don't eat
vegatable matter, so after millions of years, their tongues have
probably lost their ability to taste red pepper acid.

Actually, Bill, it is the other way around. Peppers have evolved their "hot"
substance to be specific against mammal plant-eaters. Because peppers are meant
to be eaten by birds, the substance is selectively hot against mammals, while
the birds don't feel it and eat peppers to spread the seeds. While mammals
(especially rodents) destroy the seeds with their teeth while eating them, and
the peppers don't want that!

Old March 13th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Patok wrote:
Bill Graham wrote:

[...]

Its amazing to me that the pepper seeds manage to make it through the
digestive process without harm... Ain't evolution grand?

Old March 13th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"Bohgosity BumaskiL" wrote in
:

170 mL London Drugs Tuna
2 Eggs
5 mL Wasabi Powder
5 mL Paprika
700 W microwave oven

Mix well. Microwave on high for three minutes.
Mix again. Microwave on high for another minute.
Serve hot.
-------
I picked up Stevie as a stray about six months ago. She had a
persistent case of diarrhea until about two weeks ago, when I started
cooking for both of my owners...can't keep Stevie out of Skittles'
food, so they both get cooking.

Stevie is a voracious eater of raw tuna--still goes bonkers, running
and jumping all over the place when I open a can. Unfortunately, raw
tuna brings diarrhea back. Now that Skittles has accepted the smell of
Salmon (perhaps due to Stevie's enthusiasm), I could serve that raw.
Of course, Salmon, in its nearly pure human-targeted form is a lot
more expensive, so it will likely be a special treat when I feel like
eating some.

My owners won't touch raw or canned hamburger, and they love a grilled
pattie. I haven't fed my owners enough of it to know if beef is an
option. _______
[ http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/ BrewJay's Babble Bin]

I certainly haven't tried everything but my cat has diarrhea from
everything I tried except two flavors of Fancy Feast 'Trout Feast' and
'Chicken Feast in Gravy'. Both are very scarce locally. However, I found
that she can eat Wellness plain chicken canned food with no problem,
right from the first meal. She's grown tired of it but will still eat it
if nothing else is available. I've not tried other flavors because the
store that carries Wellness only orders by the case - none for sale from
stock. Wellness does not provide samples of canned food. I tried one meal
with a sample of the Wellness dry 'Indoor Health' food but it caused
diarrhea. Unfortunately the only store here that carries Wellness has
terrible service. I'm about to run out again after two two-case orders
were not filled. Ordering on-line has very expensive shipping.

Unfotunately this canned Wellness evidently has no fiber so I have to add
Benefiber to one meal and canned pumkin to another to reduce the number
of hairballs. A PITA!

cooking video with cats trailertrash Cat health & behaviour 18 June 16th 07 03:26 AM
are you proud, I mean, cooking inside polite cats [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 02:21 PM
Cat Diarrhea Ellen S via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 4 August 6th 05 03:10 AM
Cooking for Cats -L. Cat anecdotes 16 April 23rd 05 04:30 PM
Cats with yellow diarrhea smelly also mekohler Cat health & behaviour 6 April 24th 04 09:50 PM