Cooking for cats with diarrhea

Old March 14th 11, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cooking for cats with diarrhea

KenK wrote:
"Bohgosity BumaskiL" wrote in
:

170 mL London Drugs Tuna
2 Eggs
5 mL Wasabi Powder
5 mL Paprika
700 W microwave oven

Mix well. Microwave on high for three minutes.
Mix again. Microwave on high for another minute.
Serve hot.
-------
I picked up Stevie as a stray about six months ago. She had a
persistent case of diarrhea until about two weeks ago, when I started
cooking for both of my owners...can't keep Stevie out of Skittles'
food, so they both get cooking.

Stevie is a voracious eater of raw tuna--still goes bonkers, running
and jumping all over the place when I open a can. Unfortunately, raw
tuna brings diarrhea back. Now that Skittles has accepted the smell
of Salmon (perhaps due to Stevie's enthusiasm), I could serve that
raw. Of course, Salmon, in its nearly pure human-targeted form is a
lot more expensive, so it will likely be a special treat when I feel
like eating some.

My owners won't touch raw or canned hamburger, and they love a
grilled pattie. I haven't fed my owners enough of it to know if beef
is an option. _______
[ http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/ BrewJay's Babble Bin]

I certainly haven't tried everything but my cat has diarrhea from
everything I tried except two flavors of Fancy Feast 'Trout Feast' and
'Chicken Feast in Gravy'. Both are very scarce locally. However, I
found that she can eat Wellness plain chicken canned food with no
problem, right from the first meal. She's grown tired of it but will
still eat it if nothing else is available. I've not tried other
flavors because the store that carries Wellness only orders by the
case - none for sale from stock. Wellness does not provide samples of
canned food. I tried one meal with a sample of the Wellness dry
'Indoor Health' food but it caused diarrhea. Unfortunately the only
store here that carries Wellness has terrible service. I'm about to
run out again after two two-case orders were not filled. Ordering
on-line has very expensive shipping.

Unfotunately this canned Wellness evidently has no fiber so I have to
add Benefiber to one meal and canned pumkin to another to reduce the
number of hairballs. A PITA!

Strays tend to pick up worms and other diseases from eating raw food, and
old food. After you've had them a while, and had the vet deworm them, they
usually turn out to be OK.

Old March 14th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts

KenK wrote:
Unfotunately this canned Wellness evidently has no fiber so I have to
add Benefiber to one meal and canned pumkin to another to reduce the
number of hairballs. A PITA!

tip: at halloween time, buy a leftover pumpkin. i find that the day of
halloween or the day after, they're really cheap, or free. i got one for $1
this year. cut into chunks and bake in a flat pan with water inthe bottom in
the oven until soft (about 45 minutes). scrape the insides into a bowl,
puree in a food processor. i was able to get the equivalent of 12 large cans
out of one medium sized pumpkin that i stored in my freezer.

i have trouble keeping my wife from using the stash to make pies, to my
waist's detriment.

Old April 3rd 11, 09:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JWL

cshenk wrote:
"JWL" wrote
Bill Graham wrote:

In Japan, they sometimes get over $100,000 for just one tuna
fish. -

Thats 100,000 yen. That would be a live large one (several hundred
lbs) and to translate to dollars, remove the first 2 zeros for a
rough estimate.
Cut down, you have over 100 lbs of sashimi or '10$ a lb'.

I am amazed at the price in the local super. I pay 50 cents for a
5-1/2 oz. can. Of course, they ruin it by cooking it...:^)

There's 'tuna' and there's 'tuna'. Several types of fish are called
that. The type in cans isn't the expensive version.

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem
be part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in
fish.
So, when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

Grin, hate to tell you but all canned fish is cooked. It's part of
the canning process. It's not only for presevation but to kill any
possible marine parasites.

Okay, "canned", to be precise over what I said was raw. Whatever the
process, it doesn't seem to cause much obvious difference.

I know that canning is a kind of cooking, and only briefly, and if
it's done right, then it is in presence of steam, not air, so the oil
degradation is minimual compared to say, grilling fish, which stinks.
Unless I miss my guess, fish canning is done at Ultra High Temperature
under pressure, something beyond boiling. I do not know the period,
and it basically steriilizes fish. It is more thorough than
pasturization at 150F|65C.

Old April 3rd 11, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JWL

Here is an update on what is very probably the ultimate cause of my
Cat's diarrhea:
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/img/stevie_dorsal.jpg
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/img/stevie_lateral.jpg

You can see a calcified stretch of stomach tissue in each of those
x-rays; one near her spine, the same near her skin in the lateral
view. An eraser, possibly with some wood in it, lodged in her stomach.
She could've eaten it before I met her, about a year ago, when I
accidentally helped her get into a Seven Eleven. I do not think I ever
had anything like that particular kind of eraser in my place, because
I hav been using mechanical pencils for about five years.

My vet wanted her to eat chicken from a can. For this week, she will
be getting salmon (human purity), because her stomach iz probably
still inflamed. I suspect that she won't be nearly az prone to
diarrhea, so I will experiment (in two weeks, perhaps) even with
kibble to see for sure that her diarrhea is gone.

So, it looks like I was able to mask a problem until it became more
serious.
I suspect that her immune system attacked the eraser like it would any
other foreign body, only since rubber is so biologically stable, all
that did was cause swelling in her stomach; recoil from her own immune
system. Eventually, the swelling gave way to dead tissue, and her body
started calcifying it.

My vet probably cut out that entire calcified part, plus some
inflammed stomach tissue nearby.

Last Monday, she barfed about five times, to the point of dehydration.
Bile is normally green, and it was getting thicker. When a vet
rehydrated her intravenously, she started barfing, again. Those x-rays
wer taken some time after that.

My vet said that a blockage that full is rare.
_______
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...647b390b85f361

Old April 3rd 11, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"JWL" wrote

Here is an update on what is very probably the ultimate cause of my Cat's
diarrhea:
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/img/stevie_dorsal.jpg
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/img/stevie_lateral.jpg

My vet wanted her to eat chicken from a can. For this week, she will be
getting salmon (human purity), because her stomach iz probably still
inflamed. I suspect that she won't be nearly az prone to diarrhea, so I
will experiment (in two weeks, perhaps) even with kibble to see for sure
that her diarrhea is gone.

A little human level salmon will be fine for a short time. Long term, it
doesnt have the right balance for her health (she needs taurine especially
which isn't in human grade canned salmon). It's kinda like letting a kid
eat just icecream for a few days after tonsil removal. Harmless for a short
period and more important to get 'something' into her.

I highly suggest a grain free kibble at least at the start. Hopefully you
can get 'Blue Wilderness' cat kibble (Canadian company, top of the line).
Whether she had or has grain allergies before, she's apt to develop them if
you feed grains too soon. You'll see in another thread (16 year old cat
throwing up) where I list out how to check for this and even some decent
versions of the common 'fancy feast' that are grain-free.

Another short term item that may be of use (again, we are talking no more
than a week unless you get taurine and other suppliments from the vet) is
the ground chicken human babyfood. Check the label but you should be able
to find ones that are just ground chicken with a little chicken broth.

Don't be lead by hype on the claims of cat or dog food. Read the labels.
Some of the so called 'best' are actually mid-grade or even 1 star foods.
Wellness for example, seems to have a grainfree version but it is not
marketed where I am. The one they market here and claim is the best, costs
more (1/3rd more) than Blue Wilderness and uses wheat as it's 3rd or 4th top
ingredient. The wellness sold here is only a 2star food at best. Their dog
food version sold here is a 1 star. Blue wilderness consistantly (and for
good reason) will rate 5-6 stars. Even their lesser 'Blue Mountain'
versions are pretty decent (3-4 star).

Old April 3rd 11, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"JWL" wrote
cshenk wrote:

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to be
part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish. So,
when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

Grin, hate to tell you but all canned fish is cooked. It's part of
the canning process. It's not only for presevation but to kill any
possible marine parasites.

Okay, "canned", to be precise over what I said was raw. Whatever the
process, it doesn't seem to cause much obvious difference.

Thats ok, I know what you mean. Being as i've lived coastal most of my life
and in Japan for 7 years, I'm more familiar with the real 'raw fish'
(Sashimi) and tuna is one of my favorites. Real raw fish tuna is very
different from the canned types but it is a cultural wording to often think
of tuna (or salmon, sardines, etc) as 'raw'. You aren't alone and I was
being pedantic ;-)

My mind associates 'raw tuna' with a fish still flipping about that morning
when I have it for lunch or dinner. We clean and dress it ourself if it is
a small whole one. We can also get it by the lb in Virginia Beach at the
local stores when the Atlantic Tuna are running.

I know that canning is a kind of cooking, and only briefly, and if it's
done right, then it is in presence of steam, not air, so the oil
degradation is minimual compared to say, grilling fish, which stinks.
Unless I miss my guess, fish canning is done at Ultra High Temperature
under pressure, something beyond boiling. I do not know the period, and it
basically steriilizes fish. It is more thorough than pasturization at
150F|65C.

I think you are pretty close. I can't feed my cat canned human grade tuna
unless it's water packed because the oil packed ones normally use grain oil
bases. Canola based ones 'may' be ok but she's very grain sensitive.
Waterpacked though should be ok.

Old April 4th 11, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

JWL wrote:
cshenk wrote:
"JWL" wrote
Bill Graham wrote:

[...]

I found this through Google:
Fresh tuna is even more prohibitive. High-end restaurants and sushi bars are
paying 5,188 yen a kilogram -- 84 percent more than in 2005, government
figures show.

Old January 27th 13, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:03:10 AM UTC-7, SJ wrote:
"Bohgosity BumaskiL" wrote in message ... That should say 170g Tuna (not mL).. I think most tuna for cats is organ meat, which is cheaper than white, because Iron won't hurt them. I hope no one took brewhaha's post seriously.. Tuna is not recommended for cats, especially cats with many illnesses. And giving wasabi powder to anyone with digestive problems, including diarrhea, will make the diarrhea worse. Wasabi irritates bowels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_U Not if a cat's cousin of Helicobacter Pylori iz irritating her bowels first.

cooking video with cats trailertrash Cat health & behaviour 18 June 16th 07 03:26 AM
are you proud, I mean, cooking inside polite cats [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 September 11th 05 02:21 PM
Cat Diarrhea Ellen S via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 4 August 6th 05 03:10 AM
Cooking for Cats -L. Cat anecdotes 16 April 23rd 05 04:30 PM
Cats with yellow diarrhea smelly also mekohler Cat health & behaviour 6 April 24th 04 09:50 PM