Feeding Raw

Old February 6th 13, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

Default Feeding Raw

I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in the
usenet community are also raw feeders.

If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
your feline friends?

Cheers,
Jesse

Old February 7th 13, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:57:54 -0600, Jesse
wrote:

I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in the
usenet community are also raw feeders.

If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
your feline friends?

Cheers,
Jesse

I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
rather starve to death.
Old February 8th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

wrote:

I'm rather new to Usenet and I am a member of several raw feeding
groups on Yahoo! and the like and was wondering how many people in the
usenet community are also raw feeders.

If you are a raw feeder what are the most common things you feed to
your feline friends?

Cheers,
Jesse

I tried the raw diet but my cats really don't like it, as in, they'd
rather starve to death.

What were you feeding? I've never had a problem getting my felines to
eat what I offer. Occassionally they will turn their noses up at very
red meats like beef, goat, mutton, but otherwise are doing great eating
chicken, rabbit, beaver, quail, alpaca, and llama.

Also, how were you serving it? Was it room temperature and was the
meat fresh? That plays a big part in whether or not they'll be
interested.

Cheers,
Jesse

Old February 8th 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

My cats like checken, and when I cook it just for them, I pull it a little
early so it is only half cooked. But otherwise, They like their meat cooked.
I would worry about salmonella and parisites were I to feed them a
completely raw diet.

Old February 8th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

[...]

My cats are also all outside cats, and we feed possums, bitds, recoons, and
squirrls on our back porch, so I would discourage the cats from killing, or
attempting to kill these other animals for food. They get along with these
critters pretty well partly because they don't compete for the same food.
Teaching them to eat raw food might endanger that situation.....

Old February 12th 13, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Hi Jesse,

Have you visited this website: http://catinfo.org/ It is an excellent reference about feeding raw food and feline nutrition in general.

I have fed raw, both using the recipe on the website alone and feeding commercially prepared brands. If you are going to make your own raw, please use a balanced recipe! Cats need certain nutrients and just feeding, for instance, a raw chicken breast, isn't going to provide the nutrients they need daily.

Rene
Old February 14th 13, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

On 2013-02-12 16:48:48 +0000, said:

Hi Jesse,

Have you visited this website:
http://catinfo.org/ It is an excellent
reference about feeding raw food and feline nutrition in general.

I have fed raw, both using the recipe on the website alone and feeding
commercially prepared brands. If you are going to make your own raw,
please use a balanced recipe! Cats need certain nutrients and just
feeding, for instance, a raw chicken breast, isn't going to provide the
nutrients they need daily.

Rene

Rene,

I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few times.
We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground" animals
so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also give
them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into
them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall
(unless it is freeze dried).

Cheers,
Jesse

Old February 14th 13, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

wrote:

[...]

For indepth information as to why bacteria is not a concern please see
the "isn't feeding raw dangerous" section of http://rawfed.com. It has
a wealth of excellent information.

Cheers,
Jesse

Old February 15th 13, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

I'm a long time raw feeder so I've read over catinfo.org a few times.

We feed a very balanced diet including a lot of "whole ground" animals

so they are getting all of the organs, skin, fat, etc. I also give

them extra heart meat for taurine and try to get as much liver into

them as I can, though they still very much dislike liver overall

(unless it is freeze dried).

That is wonderful to hear, Jesse! You're doing all the right things. I wish I could feed raw more often in our household. Our oldest cat pukes up the raw, no matter what brand or recipe I use, so I've resorted to grain-free canned instead.