"Widowed" cat will not stop crying

Old March 31st 04, 05:20 PM
Mimi

Default "Widowed" cat will not stop crying

Hi,

Until 2 months ago, I had 2 wonderful older cats. The 15 year old
male was finally put down when his cancer was too much for both of us.
My 17 year old spayed female cat, who has been left behind, now howls
deep gutteral meows on and off all day and night. I thought after a
few months it would improve, but it has not. I go to find her and she
will be sitting on the edge of the counter howling with all of her
might. I will pick her up and cuddle or take her back to bed, and she
will purr and be fine, but within an hour, she will be at it again.

I know she has been traumatized by losing her friend, but I just don't
know what else to do to console her. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Love and treats just doesn't seem to be working and I
have no interest in bringing another cat into the house as a
replacement. It is obvious she is miserable, and I hate to see my
sweetheart in so much pain.

Thanks in advance to all responders - I am at a loss.
Old March 31st 04, 06:05 PM
Mary

"Mimi" wrote:

...but I just don't
know what else to do to console her.

Sure you do, but you don't want to do it. I understand. I "had no
interest" in adopting another cat when my cat died at age 20--until
two months had passed. Maybe everyone has their own inner time table
for this sort of thing. Maybe you will never want another cat, but I
hope not. You know there are so many kittens and adults who need you,
and while no cat can replace your sweet boy, one might come to be your
heart's delight just the same. Your kitty is lonely for her lost
companion. He will never be replaced for her either, but another cat
who needs a home could at least distract her. When you are ready, if
you ever are, please consider opening your broken heart to another
kitty. It helped mine to heal. Don't want a kitten due to the hassle
of training one? Get a young adult that has been socialized at a
no-kill shelter, if they have one in your area. Sweetest, best
behaved, most grateful cats ever.

Old March 31st 04, 06:25 PM

My 17 year old spayed female cat, who
has been left behind, now howls deep
gutteral meows on and off all day and
night. I thought after a few months it
would improve, but it has not. I go to
find her and she will be sitting on the
edge of the counter howling with all of
her might. I will pick her up and cuddle
or take her back to bed, and she will
purr and be fine, but within an hour,
she will be at it again.
I know she has been traumatized by
losing her friend, but I just don't know
what else to do to console her. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Love and
treats just doesn't seem to be working
and I have no interest in bringing
another cat into the house as a
replacement. It is obvious she is
miserable, and I hate to see my
sweetheart in so much pain.

You should take your cat to the vet and have some bloodwork done,
especially to check for thyroid function. With any cat, but especially
one that is as old as yours, it is important to rule out a health issue
first before assuming it is behavioral. Cats with hyperthyroidism, which
occurs almost exclusively in cats that are 10 or older, exhibit symptoms
such as howling and excessive vocalization. The fact that this occurred
soon after she lost her friend may only be a coincidence and unrelated.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 31st 04, 07:50 PM
Sunflower

"Mimi" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Have her checked by a vet for health issues. Then go to a shelter and find
an "unadoptible" senior cat that would otherwise be euthanized. People want
kittens and these older cats who have so much love to give are often at
shelters for months, deteriorating the whole time, simply because they are
"old". Sadly, it sorta correlates with how our culture treats older humans
as well.

Old March 31st 04, 07:53 PM
Joe Canuck

Mimi wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, that is the one thing that will likely work... providing
another companion.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck