Dude, I'm Gettin' a Dell

Old April 14th 04, 08:04 AM
John Biltz

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:50:09 -0700, Sherry wrote
(in article ):

I did not like XP. In fact it drove me to Macs
but I haven't used it in a long time. A lot of people do and I am sure
it is better now than when it first came out.

I have always used Macs at work. Beginning with the old SE, and ending with a
G4.. (I finally gave up because of health reasons & quit my job). If I were
still working, or working with design & graphics,,, I'd have sprung for a
Mac.
Thanks for the firewall tip. Yeah, I bet I will be amazed. I used to joke
that
new continents would form before web sites open on this thing.
So...look out. April 23 you all will eitther see a much faster me, or no me
at
all if I can't manage to figure out setting the thing up.

Ssherry

Sherry

Just don't tear the other down and copy the settings from the old one

Old April 14th 04, 08:04 AM
John Biltz

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:43:58 -0700, Cheryl wrote
(in article ):

John Biltz dumped this in news:vt0fc.3214$L75.2019
@fed1read06 on 13 Apr 2004:

Before you plug your new
computer into the internet make sure you install a firewall or turn on
the firewall inside XP. Its not the best one, only blocks incoming not
outgoing, but it will do until you can download a free one.

I recently got cable modem and with my latest laptop addition (all done at
the same time) with a wireless NIC, and added a wireless router (very
cheap!!) which has its own firewall and have networked my desktop and
laptop to share printer and file shares on the desktop. No malicious
traffic can get to my internal network (that I've seen yet; I run McAfee
firewall but "allow all traffic" just to log it). With no external
services running (like HTTP or FTP) I think it's safe. Opinions?

McAfee is a really good firewall. I've heard a lot of experts say there
is none better, used to us it myself. I set mine to allow after asking
then checked the always allow for most stuff. It was annoying at first
but it was how I found out I had some spyware on my system. After a
couple of days the normal stuff becomes invisible. But I was only
running a software firewall. You probably only need one or another but
two doesn't hurt.

Old April 14th 04, 11:02 AM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
the most important thing about Xp is that it requires MEMORY (ie RAM) you
will need at the minimum 128mb Ram and preferable 256mb Ram.

also to stop the viruses and such i would recommend Norton Internet

Security

Thanks for the info. This computer comes with 128 mb of ram, I hope it

will be
enough? It has "McAfee" Security Center (virus scan, firewall).. It's the
Dimension 2400 computer (the bottom of the line one they advertise on TV

for
$499, w/ free shipping). After you add the CD burner, and the software you
need, etc. it adds up the price of course, but still really economical.

Since
it's basically just a toy for me, I was trying to keep the cost down. Hope

didn't scrimp so much I won't like it. (But then again, I'll think I'm in

tall
cotton after using this old one so long)

Sherry

One thing I would recommend (even for a "basic" computer these days) is more
RAM. It's fairly inexpensive to jump from 128 to 256, and this is one of
those areas where people usually look back and wish they had opted for more.
XP requires a *lot* of resources. If you are getting the "free"
preinstalled version of McAfee, you may find that you can only download new
antivirus definitions for 30 days -- then you will need to get a full
version of whatever AV software you use. Also: does yours include a floppy
drive? You might want to consider it.

You're going to love having a new computer. As you said, you will feel like
you're in tall cotton after using a 1996 version for all these years. Happy
birthday!

MaryL

Old April 14th 04, 01:56 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , MaryL at
AKE-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote on 4/14/04 5:02 AM:

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

I agree with MaryL about the RAM. It's usually the one thing you wish you
had.

Karen

Old April 14th 04, 02:02 PM
Victor Martinez

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
4.79). Only thing is, when I tried to download Netscape 7.1, I
discovered that most of the new software requires a minimum of 64MB RAM,
and mine computer has only 32MB! (Of course, that was a lot more than I

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ..... and I complain my laptop at work has only 256MB of
RAM...

I've been thinking about a Dell - mainly because they claim they build
them for each individual. How do those of you who have one like it?

I had a Dell laptop at work and I hated it. We had to replace the
motherboard 3 times. I now have an IBM and love it, haven't had any
problems. I also have a Dell desktop at work and it's ok, it runs
Windows 2000 and hasn't blue-screened on me yet. Knock on wood.
At home I have a Gateway (my second Gateway, actually) and couldn't be
happier. They have awesome deals on their website too.

anything - so I would be paying for a lot of fancy hardware I don't
really need or want.

Build your own at either dell.com or gateway.com, you can choose exactly
what you want and see how much each piece will cost you. Then select the
option that makes the most sense!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 14th 04, 02:04 PM
Victor Martinez

MaryL wrote:
version of whatever AV software you use. Also: does yours include a floppy
drive? You might want to consider it.

I haven't used a floppy drive in about 6 years...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he