Question about kitten behavior

Old August 24th 03, 04:21 PM
eric

Default Question about kitten behavior

About 6 weeks ago we got a 15 week old kitten, Roxie, to add to our family,
which includes a 7 year old cat, Trixie, and a 6 year old dog, Dawson.
Roxie fit in great and rapidly became friends with our dog, although she has
a strained relationship with our cat as we expected. Both our cats live
indoors and share a litter box.

Anyway, to the problem. About 3 weeks after her arrival we were just
getting to sleep when Roxie walks onto the middle of our bed and pees on our
down comforter. We didn't know what to make of that, maybe her litter box
was a little dirty for her taste and she wanted to clue us in??? We left it
at that thinking it was a one time occurrence. She's never peed anywhere
else besides her litter box (that we know of). So last night, we finally
got around to putting our freshly dry cleaned comforter back on the bed when
the same thing happened. In the middle of the night, Roxie walked across
the bed and peed on it. This time I know it wasn't because her litter box
was dirty, so obviously she's trying to tell us something. But what?
Anyone seen this type of behavior? Could she be marking her territory or
could it have something to do with the down? Any ideas on what this is or
how to fix it would be great. TIA.

Old August 24th 03, 06:35 PM
~*SooZy*~

"eric" wrote in message
[...]

I suggest you get 2 litter boxes, most cats like their own, although my 2
cats use what ever box they want we have 2 litter boxes.

try spraying it with antimate or cat stay off! although you may find this
unpleasant esp as its on the bed!

Where do the other 2 sleep?

Old August 24th 03, 08:21 PM

[...]

There are three possibilities that come to mind.

First, you should have more than one litterbox for two cats. They should
be scooped daily and washed out regularly. The general rule of thumb is
one box per cat plus one extra.

Second, innapropriate urination is often the only sign that a cat has a
urinary tract infection. A vet visit is in order.

Third, cats can go into heat as young as 4 months old, and if your
kitten is not spayed, the behavior you see may be that of a cat in heat
marking her territory. FYI kittens can be safely spayed as young as 8
weeks, and there is no reason to wait to do it if they are older than
that.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 24th 03, 10:15 PM
eric

To follow up...

Both our cats are female and spayed. Both tend to sleep on the bed with us
although our older cat is now mostly sleeping under the bed (to escape the
midnight antics that the kitten engages in.) Our dog sleeps along side on
the floor.

As far as having two litter boxes, we really don't have a good place to put
a second one. Plus during the first two-three weeks, we did have a second
litter box in place (for transitional purposes) but after a week, Roxie was
using Trixie's box exclusively. We've had very good luck in the past with
just one litter box and two cats. Prior to March, when she passed, we had
an 8yo cat who shared a box with Trixie without any problems.

Roxie's due for some shots so I will have the vet check for a UTI.

Thanks for all the ideas.

in article , eric at wrote on
8/24/03 8:21 AM:

Old August 25th 03, 12:22 AM
MaryL

"eric" wrote in message

Anyway, to the problem. About 3 weeks after her arrival we were just
getting to sleep when Roxie walks onto the middle of our bed and pees on

our
down comforter. We didn't know what to make of that, maybe her litter box
was a little dirty for her taste and she wanted to clue us in??? We left

it
at that thinking it was a one time occurrence. She's never peed anywhere
else besides her litter box (that we know of). So last night, we finally
got around to putting our freshly dry cleaned comforter back on the bed

when
the same thing happened. In the middle of the night, Roxie walked across
the bed and peed on it. This time I know it wasn't because her litter box
was dirty, so obviously she's trying to tell us something.

If this continues and you see a pattern where it is only that comforter,
perhaps there is something in it that acts as an attractant -- perhaps some
scent. For example, cats will often do this with rubber-backed rugs. First
and foremost, of course (as has already been suggested), you need to rule
out any medical problems.

MaryL

Old August 25th 03, 06:38 PM
leannah

I had a similar problem with one of my cats not long after we adopted a
stray. I always kept the litter box clean yet my cat that was already a
resident kept defecating in corners in the house. What confused me was that
she know she was doing wrong because after she would cower and not look in
my eyes, even when I had no idea she had done it again. I tried adding
another litter box, and she hasn't had an accident since. She simply wanted
to defecate in one litter box and urinate in the other, a desire she picked
up only after the prescence of the other cat. So try adding another litter
box. Be sure the litter boxes are in a private place, and try the ones with
a hood. Also, be sure you are giving the cat plenty of one on one attention,
especially in the prescence of the other cat. Watch for the cat to use the
litter box, and when he/she gets out of the litter box, praise her for her
good behavior. Reinforcement is a powerful thing, punishment often just
leads to other problem behaviors. Try these suggestions and if you have any
other questions or problems feel free to ask me.

Good luck and God bless you for taking the responsibility to correct your
pet's behavior rather than "discarding" of one of God's precious creatures.

Sincerely,
Leanna