Smudgie is Lost!

Old July 12th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Smudgie is Lost! But I Know Where She Is!!!! ~Sharon~

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message

"pat Chlebowski" wrote in message
Sharon, did you find Smudgie yet??? I checked for a post and found
nothing... Please update us.....

Hi Pat

Sorry I didn't update yesterday but I had no news and I was so upset about
it all I probably would have posted some "woe is me" thing and made myself
look stupid! But, today was a new day and it would now appear Smudgie is
in 2 places at once! A lady who lives next to the allotments at our side
of the estate swears that Smudgie has been hanging around the flats there
for food for the past few nights. I figured that made sense, it's nearer
to home and literally less than 50 paces from where her collar was found.
I felt better thinking she was there and with 5 old ladies on "cat
lookout" from their windows every evening we would find her in no time.
The trapping at the woods hadn't helped and the lady dog walker hadn't
seen Smudgie in the wood since Thursday. So, we wandered around the
allotment and spoke to a few of the gardeners there and 2 of them said
they had seen a cat matching her description hanging around there
recently. We found no sign of her so made our way home and then got a
call from "dog walker lady" saying she had seen her just that minute going
into the woods! We rushed there but were totally unprepared and had
forgotten the torch etc So, it is possible Smudgie is wandering from
the allotments to the woods but it's a half mile trek and so I am assuming
it's 2 different cats that are being sighted. Dilema - which one is
Smudgie, if either? Both the lady by the allotments and "dog walker lady"
claim they saw her at the same time on Thursday evening. When "dog walker
lady" rang she said Smudgie had been sitting under a parked car but
Smudgie was always so scared of cars, but was that just at home and now
something has changed? "Dog walker lady" is a vet nurse, and carries
Smudgie's photo everywhere so maybe I should trust her judgement when she
says it's Smudgie?

I really can't figure this one out, and of course I've not seen either cat
so have no idea if Smudgie is one of them or not!

Off to bed, brain hurts lol
Thanks you for all the continuing purrs

Sharon

Would it be possible to set one trap at each location?

Joy

Old July 13th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Prayers for you to get her home. When mine was hanging out next door that
was frustrating enough.

Old July 13th 10, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

I really can't figure this one out, and of course I've not seen either cat
so have no idea if Smudgie is one of them or not!

Off to bed, brain hurts lol
Thanks you for all the continuing purrs

Sharon

Would it be possible to set one trap at each location?

Joy

Hi Joy

I have only been able to borrow one trap and have been instructed not to
leave it unattended. The reason was "people smash them up". So we set it
and walk away but stay just close enough to hear it if it goes off. I'm
using the trap at the woods in particular so we will do that tonight at the
cut through the cat used in the hopes it is Smudgie and she is still daft
enough to possibly walk straight into it! I have also sent a text message
to the Lady dog walker now asking if I can walk around with her as her dog
spots Smudgie in the undergrowth whereas I am finding it impossible to do
so. The other thing I was thinking about is a net. That's probably dumb but
I'm so out of ideas now that I will try anything.

I will be sure to post again again when we get back from the woods tonight.

Sharon

Old July 13th 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

I certainly hope you can get her soon. I know this must be a terrible
emotional strain, and it has to be physically draining as well. Also, of
course, she'll be better off once she's back home.

Purrs and prayers for a happy outcome, the sooner the better.

Joy

Old July 13th 10, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

I certainly hope you can get her soon. I know this must be a terrible
emotional strain, and it has to be physically draining as well. Also, of
course, she'll be better off once she's back home.

Purrs and prayers for a happy outcome, the sooner the better.

Joy

Thank you Joy. Yes, to be honest I am exhausted. I have a friend with a
fishing net so I will collect that after work and take it along tonight as
well. I need a wheelbarrow just to transport all the stuff; a trap, a
carrier, fishing net, torch, etc lol

I can't wait to get my little girl home!

Sharon

Old July 13th 10, 11:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 13 July, 08:28, "Sharon & Smudgie" wrote:
I certainly hope you can get her soon. *I know this must be a terrible
emotional strain, and it has to be physically draining as well. *Also, of
course, she'll be better off once she's back home.

Purrs and prayers for a happy outcome, the sooner the better.

Joy

Thank you Joy. *Yes, to be honest I am exhausted. I have a friend with a
fishing net so I will collect that after work and take it along tonight as
well. *I need a wheelbarrow just to transport all the stuff; a trap, a
carrier, fishing net, torch, etc lol

I can't wait to get my little girl home!

Sharon

If you have an idea where she is, you could appeal to her curiosity.
When Annie is hiding outside and threatening not to come in, Ade and I
pretend that we've found something really interesting in the kitchen,
or in the middle of the lawn. A few rounds of "Have you seen this?
It's a shame Annie can't see it, she'd love it." usually brings her
across, then we can scoop her up. Of course, the neighbours think
we're daft.

Jeanette
Old July 13th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I gave up warring about what neighbors think. Whatever it takes to get you
furball back is what matters.

Old July 13th 10, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kraut[_2_]

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:50:25 +0100, "Sharon & Smudgie"
wrote:

I have only been able to borrow one trap and have been instructed not to
leave it unattended. The reason was "people smash them up". So we set it
and walk away but stay just close enough to hear it if it goes off. I'm
using the trap at the woods in particular so we will do that tonight at the
cut through the cat used in the hopes it is Smudgie and she is still daft
enough to possibly walk straight into it! I have also sent a text message
to the Lady dog walker now asking if I can walk around with her as her dog
spots Smudgie in the undergrowth whereas I am finding it impossible to do
so. The other thing I was thinking about is a net. That's probably dumb but
I'm so out of ideas now that I will try anything.

I will be sure to post again again when we get back from the woods tonight.

Sharon

Maybe it would be worth buying 1 or 2 traps of your own??

Just a thought.

Old July 13th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_2_]

Default Smudgie is Lost! But I Know Where She Is!!!!

Finally it's all coming together!

Firstly, Tweed you were so absolutely correct when you said something was
fishy about the collar business!

Secondly, Im so angry right now but here goes .....

As those of you who have been following this thread will know, the collar
was returned to me on the first Saturday after Smudgie ran off by a guy who
"found it that minute outside his house at 123 Street Road". So, we
concentrated on that area for almost a week - putting out food and water and
calling and putting up posters but nothing. But, she HAD been in the area
so was most likely still there. We even had people living nearby trawling
the streets looking for her. We ruined out fence by making a hole in it too!

Then on Thursday of last week I had the call from a lady who lives near the
woods who had seen the article in the paper, which led us to looking on the
woods on the Friday, when we met "dog walker lady" (I must find out her
name!) who said she had seen a cat she believed to be Smudgie for the past
few evenings in the woods. I figured ok, she has made her way along there
and so it's quite possibly her but I hadn't seen her for myself so didn't
know for sure. So, we walked, called, left food and water in the woods too
and sat for hours with the trap set.

Today I went to my M-I-L's house to borrow an unused fishing net thinking it
might be a good way to catch Smudgie if she is hiding in shrubs and likely
to run for it if anyone gets too close. Anyway, I get to M-I-L's house and
her friend is there. The friend then tells me of how she thinks her son was
the one who "returned the collar to us on Thursday after finding it outside
his house first thing on the Thursday morning, amongst a huge pile of white
fur, after hearing cats fighting". When I asked where he lives she tells me
"321 Road Street", so I tell her no it must be a huge coincidence and she
then describes the "bright pink collar with the address written around it".
I'm now thinking "hmm this doesn't add up". So I come home and re-charge my
brain and it all fits into place...

This man found the collar on Thursday morning but didn't return it us until
the Saturday lunchtime. He feels guilty for having it so long so he makes
up an address (which happens to be a "Sold" house just around the corner).
Now, in all fairness this man's wife is very ill and I am sorry for that,
but, because of his lying my poor cat has been out in the woods, probably
injured in some way, for almost 2 bl**dy weeks, slowly getting hungrier
because he bl**dy lied! We had been searching in totally the wrong place
wasting days and days because of this bl**dy stupid man! Oh, I am so angry
I just want to scream. If only he hadn't lied, or even just left the collar
on our doorstep! We would have widened the search much earlier. The only
good thing is that now we can just concentrate on the woods and hopefully
can find her before anything bad happens to her. I wouldn't want to be him
if we do find her too late!

I haven't been this angry in years!

Sharon