NOT safe!

Old September 1st 12, 08:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default NOT safe!

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

I think this is something that some people (and I do not mean that in a
derogatory way at all, I just don't know how else to describe it) just
can't wrap their heads around. In much the same way, 35 years ago, I
couldn't wrap my head around algebra (they started adding letters to
mathematics and my brain stopped (screeching halt!) working)

Nothing to do with guns, but I had the opposite experience with math. I
found it boring *until* letters were introduced. I remember how torturous
long division was for me in the 4th grade - it would take forever to do
each problem. I'm still not as good at arithmetic as I should be, considering
that I got a bachelor's degree in math. But the good stuff, IMO, has little
to do with numbers. This would probably make you run screaming, but at some
point, it's *all* letters. Greek letters, in fact. By the time I graduated
college, I could sound out Greek words. Had no idea what they meant, though.

I also
cannot drive a car with a clutch (manual transmission) due to my
left-handedness and lack of coordination :/

Now, just a minute. I'm left-handed and I could drive a stick shift just
fine! I think this has more to do with coordination. EG Not to say that
I'm particularly coordinated myself, and I wore out the patience of
several people (dad, a couple of friends) when I was *learning* how to
drive a stick shift car. But I did get it eventually.

Oh, and guns are handy to have around in case of the Zombie Apocalypse

Even if it looks like this?

http://sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/humo...se_kittens.jpg

--
Joyce

"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review
Old September 1st 12, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 9/1/2012 3:30 AM, Bastette wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

I think it's my left-handedness that causes my lack of coordination -
I've only tried clutch a few times, sucked at it and have stuck with
automatics since then

Oh, and guns are handy to have around in case of the Zombie Apocalypse

Even if it looks like this?

http://sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/humo...se_kittens.jpg

A gun wouldn't do me any good if a zombie like that came around - my
head would have exploded from the SQUEEness and it could just lap up the
brainz....

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old September 1st 12, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

I'm not trying to be nasty, but how many times in the last 20 years have you
*needed* it to defend your home?
If you all stopped having guns in an urban situation, you wouldn't need one.

Well actually, that's not entirely true, since they seem to be so easily
available to criminals. However, I question how much "protection" mere
gun ownership can be to the ordinary citizen. I once took a class in
handguns, which left me with a profound respect for them, and the
determination not to own one. (Too often the gun ends up in the hands
of the criminal, and if you keep it in a "safe" place, it's probably
inaccessible at an instant's notice, when you need it.)
Old September 1st 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
I guess the best way to explain it is that there are some people over

here that cannot wrap our heads around the fact that you (UK/English,
Brits, etc.) are *not* allowed to have guns. That's just as unfathomable
to some of us, as the fact that we *are* allowed to have guns is to
you....

Some people are allowed shotguns here for sporting purposes and protection
of crops and vermin control (farmer types) but handguns are a definitely
no-no.
It's not worked that well, as the youth of today stab each other instead.
To have a license for a sporting gun you have to go through so many hoops, a
doctor has to vouch for your mental health, and two other upstanding
citizens like bank managers, social workers, magistrates. The doctor part
is so you don't decide to get a gun to blow your own head off, or even worse
go crazy and shoot people in the street or in schools - which is why after
two such tragedies, Hungerford and Dunblane, our gun laws were changed.
Of course, criminals involved in drugs somehow always seem to be able get
hold of one.
For the ordinary citizen in the UK, well, we don't need one to protect our
house. The burglar (if we ever had one) wouldn't have a gun himself.
I am very much in favour of having a gun if cougars and bears and druggies
were likely to burst in to my house, though. Also if I went walking in a
place where there was a possibility any of those could jump me.
I fired one of my late husband's shotguns once, let's just say I was not a
natural at it and it's best for me not to have one ;-)
Tweed

Old September 13th 12, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Bastette wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

cshenk wrote:

Jack Campin wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

I think most of the US gun-fetishist culture is of quite recent
origin, post-WW2.

It's cultural and not at all recent but what you miss is it's

mostly a rural thing.

There are guns aplenty in poor urban neighborhoods, too. A significant
percentage of homicides in a lot of US cities comes from gang warfare.

Yes, but the more urban you get, the fewer guns per household you will
find in the USA.

There's huge portions of the USA where your nearest
neighbor may be 50 miles away and small communities of 50 or so

where the nearest next one is 50 miles away. Guns in some of
those are normal things to go hunting with or kill bears (yes, we
have wild bears, lots of them in some parts). Plenty of spots
where folks take a shotgun with them if they are going outside
(may be seasonal in some) to deal with 4 legged critters at need.

If I lived near a large number of big predators, I'd sure want to
have a shotgun around, as would most non-suicidal people.

Yes, and that's the main basis. You see the same up through Canada and
it's more apt to be a rifle/shotgun. Handguns are for city sissys.

Old September 15th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

cshenk wrote:

[...]

My point is that if most folks weren't allowed a handgun there wouldn't be
much of a problem.
Yes, allow shotguns - if you need to shoot bears that are attacking your
house.
Let's be honest, how many people here need a gun?
Zero.

Old September 15th 12, 09:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

cshenk wrote:

Bastette wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

There are guns aplenty in poor urban neighborhoods, too. A significant
percentage of homicides in a lot of US cities comes from gang warfare.

Yes, but the more urban you get, the fewer guns per household you will
find in the USA.

I don't know the statistics that say what percentage of deaths in cities
are from guns vs what that percentage is in rural areas. But if the majority
of people owning guns in rural areas have them for protection against wild
animals, then you probably wouldn't see the same level of gun-related
homicides as you do in cities.

If I lived near a large number of big predators, I'd sure want to
have a shotgun around, as would most non-suicidal people.

Yes, and that's the main basis. You see the same up through Canada and
it's more apt to be a rifle/shotgun. Handguns are for city sissys.

Oh, tell me you're just joking. Please. I'm so sick of this stupid city
mouse/country mouse thing.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old September 18th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
cshenk wrote:

[...]

If no-one was allowed a hand gun in cities, no-one would need one.
Out in the wilds of America where there are bears and cougars, well you
might need a shotgun, just in case.
Luckily, I don't need a gun for that here ;-)

Old September 20th 12, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Aug 31, 7:41*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

. com...

No cluons were harmed when "Christina Websell"
wrote:
What do you need a gun for, Mark? *It always surprises me how

easily you are
allowed one in US.

Ideally, home defense, though I pray I never have to use it in that
capacity. As the saying goes, "When seconds count, the police are minutes
away."

I am exercising my constitutional RIGHT, plus shooting holes in paper
targets (mostly so I can shoot accurately and not shoot bystanders).

Hugs and Purrs, Mark

I'm not trying to be nasty, but how many times in the last 20 years have you
*needed* it to defend your home?
If you all stopped having guns in an urban situation, you wouldn't need one.-

Why would anyone have to justify owning an object to someone else?

Besides, as was illustrated vividly in a home invasion only a few
miles from where I sit, aggressors don't need guns if the defenders
don't have them. Two youngish men beat a doctor with a baseball bat
and demanded money. In the end, they tied up the doctor's wife and
daughers, after raping them, and burned the house down, killing the
three women.

No one had any guns, so I guess it was fair.

--
Will in New Haven

Old September 20th 12, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
What do you need a gun for, Mark? It always surprises me how

easily you are
allowed one in US.

Ideally, home defense, though I pray I never have to use it in that
capacity. As the saying goes, "When seconds count, the police are
minutes
away."

Besides, as was illustrated vividly in a home invasion only a few
miles from where I sit, aggressors don't need guns if the defenders
don't have them. Two youngish men beat a doctor with a baseball bat
and demanded money. In the end, they tied up the doctor's wife and
daughers, after raping them, and burned the house down, killing the
three women.

No one had any guns, so I guess it was fair.

Yes it's not necessary to have guns to do such harm but it makes it easier.
A few days ago two female police officers were shot and killed here. It's
never happened before, ever.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/se...led-manchester

It won't make me find out how to get a gun. I'd be a danger with one, tbh.
Tweed