My arm surgeon OT

Old September 19th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default My arm surgeon OT

Well, he doesn't give up, does he?

He phoned me in June because I wanted to delay my surgery to release trapped
nerves in two places in my arm on the basis of my vegetable plot. He kindly
agreed to wait three months.
So the day before I had it in my diary to phone him, his secretary was on
the phone today to say "Your procedure is booked in for October 11th"
Aargh!
It seems the only year I haven't had a operation since 2001 was 2010 so I
made up for it with two in 2011.
This won't help me use my arm that was damaged so badly by falling over
Boyfie, it's to bring the feeling back into my fingers.

I won't be able to drive for weeks :-( it's my changing gear arm, and the
nearest shop is a mile and half away and even so I could only carry one bag
back with one arm.

I must have some seriously bad karma catching up with me.

Tomorrow I am back to hospital about my smell & taste which has not improved
much.

Tweed

Old September 20th 12, 09:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

Are you able to do your grocery shopping online with Tesco or suchlike to
get you through the recovery period? I know there is a delivery charge added
on but I think the cost varies depending on what time of day you want the
delivery, cheapest being during the daytime on a weekday. I also understand
Tesco will bring the delivery into your kitchen so that would mean you don't
have heavy bags to lift.

Have the hospital acertained what may be causing your taste and smell
limitations? I'm curious because my boss has exactly the same problem.

Sending purrs for a successful outcome at your hospital appointment today.

Sharon & Smudgie

Old September 20th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sharon & Smudgie" wrote in message
Are you able to do your grocery shopping online with Tesco or suchlike to
get you through the recovery period? I know there is a delivery charge
added on but I think the cost varies depending on what time of day you
want the delivery, cheapest being during the daytime on a weekday. I also
understand Tesco will bring the delivery into your kitchen so that would
mean you don't have heavy bags to lift.

Yes, I can do that, and have done but the minimum spend is £25, and I never
need as much as that.

Have the hospital acertained what may be causing your taste and smell
limitations? I'm curious because my boss has exactly the same problem.

I hope he is having it investigated as there can be some sinister reasons
for it, including a brain tumour. Given my history of cancer, I got MRI and
CT scans which ruled this out. My consultant has decided that a very severe
upper respiratory infection I got at the time was the cause, the virus
caused the destruction of nerve cells in my nose. Whether or not they will
recover is in the lap of the gods.

Sending purrs for a successful outcome at your hospital appointment today.

I saw a registrar at first, very pleasant chap and he hastened to add that
Mr Murty (consultant) would see me after he did.
Although he had my notes, he wanted me to tell the whole story again, so I
did.
Then Mr Murty came in the room and instructed his registrar to look up my
nose with one of those scope thingies. I was hoping to avoid it, as it's
very uncomfortable, but I guess he has to learn.
I was limping just out of plaster at one of my ENT appointments, and Mr
Murty remembered and asked me about it. When I told him I had to have yet
another op in 3 weeks time he said "Oh, you poor wee thing, haven't you had
more than enough?" He's Scottish, obviously.

Some hospital consultants are full of themselves - the one who operated on
me once for my incisional hernia was like that. He forgot he'd done it
before on me and it had failed. I had to go in as an emergency and some
other surgeon did it, and it has worked up to now.
When I had to go back after a few weeks, he was very jovial with me, too
familiar I thought and when he said "how did it go?" I told him "it wasn't
you who repaired me after you mucked it up the first time."
Well, consultants don't like patients saying things like this.
Normal patients say yes to everything asked and thank you so much.
Consultants are so used to being like gods in the hospital that they forget
they aren't sometimes.
My eye consultant never thought he was exalted, and also my gynae, and I add
my ENT chap to this list.
the one who did my hernia op swept through the ward to look at his patients
on his ward round with all his students around him.
I found him to be quite rude, he asked me if I smoked and I desperately
wanted to say "you are really hugely fat" but of course, I didn't.
Tweed

Old September 20th 12, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
[...]

I know you're very fond of Mr F, but maybe it's time to think of trading
him in for an automatic. I hope your operation goes well and you get the
use of your arm back sooner than you expect.
--
Adrian
http://community.webshots.com/clowderuk
Old September 21st 12, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message

I know you're very fond of Mr F, but maybe it's time to think of trading
him in for an automatic. I hope your operation goes well and you get the
use of your arm back sooner than you expect.
-

I will never get rid of Mr F until he cannot be repaired. He's so
brilliant. He starts every time I turn. the key. Next week he gets his
MoT, hold your breath for Tuesday.
Besides I don't know how to drive an automatic. I would be one of those
people that drove them into a shop window like you see on the telly.

Tweed

Old September 21st 12, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message

I know you're very fond of Mr F, but maybe it's time to think of trading
him in for an automatic. I hope your operation goes well and you get the
use of your arm back sooner than you expect.
-

I will never get rid of Mr F until he cannot be repaired. He's so
brilliant. He starts every time I turn. the key. Next week he gets his
MoT, hold your breath for Tuesday.
Besides I don't know how to drive an automatic. I would be one of those
people that drove them into a shop window like you see on the telly.

Tweed, if you can drive a stick shift, you can certainly drive an automatic.
Automatic transmission requires *less* skill.

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis
Old September 21st 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

I wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

I will never get rid of Mr F until he cannot be repaired. He's so
brilliant. He starts every time I turn. the key. Next week he gets his
MoT, hold your breath for Tuesday.
Besides I don't know how to drive an automatic. I would be one of those
people that drove them into a shop window like you see on the telly.

Tweed, if you can drive a stick shift, you can certainly drive an automatic.
Automatic transmission requires *less* skill.

But I didn't mean to argue that you should sell your car. Just pointing
out that there's nothing to learn if you were to switch to automatic.

I used to enjoy driving a stick shift, but the last time I bought a car, I
wanted an automatic because I drive through a lot of stop-and-go traffic
(when there's so much traffic that it's going really slowly and often comes
to a complete stop). That is such a pain with a stick shift. Plus, I like
to drink tea while driving so I need that other hand.

--
Joyce

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx
Old September 21st 12, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message

I know you're very fond of Mr F, but maybe it's time to think of trading
him in for an automatic. I hope your operation goes well and you get the
use of your arm back sooner than you expect.
-

I will never get rid of Mr F until he cannot be repaired. He's so
brilliant. He starts every time I turn. the key. Next week he gets his
MoT, hold your breath for Tuesday.
Besides I don't know how to drive an automatic. I would be one of those
people that drove them into a shop window like you see on the telly.

Tweed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyone who knows how to drive a stick shift also knows how to drive an
automatic. With an automatic, you will use only an accelerator and a brake;
you will not use a clutch. I learned on a stick shift, and it was child's
play to move to an automatic. The reverse (automatic to shift shift) would
have been more difficult. Of course, that does not have anything to do with
the question of whether you *want* to make the transition. I do understand
Adrian's suggestion--an automatic would not place the same strain on your
arm and shoulder because you would not have to shift gears.

MaryL

Old September 21st 12, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sarah-Sue

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:21:31 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message

I know you're very fond of Mr F, but maybe it's time to think of trading
him in for an automatic. I hope your operation goes well and you get the
use of your arm back sooner than you expect.
-

I will never get rid of Mr F until he cannot be repaired. He's so
brilliant. He starts every time I turn. the key. Next week he gets his
MoT, hold your breath for Tuesday.
Besides

I don't know how to drive an automatic. I would be one of those
people that drove them into a shop window like you see on the telly.

Tweed, if you can drive a stick shift, you can certainly drive an automatic.
Automatic transmission requires *less* skill.

When I learned how to use a manual transmission I felt "in control"
and developed and interest in the mechanics of the vehicle. I'm on
your side tweed - keep the automatic as long as possible! Besides,
that two leg exercise to engage clutch along with gas is a GREAT
exercise!

Good luck on your surgery.

Sarah_Sue
Old September 22nd 12, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

[...]

...he swept through the ward to look at his patients on his
ward round with all his students around him.
I found him to be quite rude, he asked me if I smoked and I
desperately wanted to say "you are really hugely fat" but of
course, I didn't.

He sounds very much like an "old school" surgeon - just like the
character played by James Robertson Justice in the "Doctor..."
series of films, Sir Lancelot Spratt. (or is that "Sir Lancelot's
Pratt"?) :-)

--
MatSav