Ping gave us a scare (AKA BCT)

Old October 2nd 12, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default Ping gave us a scare (AKA BCT)

Yesterday evening he did not show up for dinner (since we have a couple
of fatties, our cats are NOT free fed kibble (and having 10 makes canned
cost prohibitive), so for a cat to miss a meal...)

Even a couple hours later there was no sight of him! House was
thoroughly searched 3 times, before he was finally found, hiding under
the bottom-most shelf in the utility room (in a corner between the wash
machine and a wall). For Ping, who is a seal point Siamese to be hiding
*AND* miss a meal, we knew something was up!

We took him into the bathroom where Barney is fed his prescription food
(to keep the others from scarfing it) so that he could eat his missed
meal 'unmolested' by the other cats, and in doing so, discovered he had
diarrhea - big time! It was very watery and some of it almost clear!

Uh-oh!!!!

We left him in the bathroom over night with food, water, and clean
litterboxes.

He ate - heartily (sick cats usually don't want to eat), drank some,
peed on the (vinyl) floor 2 different times right in front of the
litterbox (Ping's normal habit), but no more poo (runny or solid).

He stayed in there most of today, too.

Then this afternoon, when I got home and went in to visit him (shooing
other cats away as they all wanted the food he hadn't yet eaten), he was
begging for the tub faucet to be turned on. I couldn't resist his big,
blue, Puss-in-Boots eyes, so I turned on a pencil-thin stream of water
for him. He proceeded to drink while I played a few games on my cell
phone, and texted DH (who was at work) about him... when Ping proceeded
to *play* in the stream of water! By play I mean he would stick his head
in the stream and let it flow over him to watch it splash down, then
come up to me, stick his face in mine and then shake his head to get me
wet as well (no reason I should have to miss out on the fun)!

OK. Not acting like a sick cat.

He is no longer in isolation, but we are keeping an eye on him. He came
for dinner (despite having had been free-fed all the night and earlier
in the day), and went about doing his Ping things, and even came when
called while I was watching "Bones" on TV earlier this evening

I'm wondering if he heard the word "vet" and his name in the same
sentence and decided that it would be prudent to *not* be sick.

Who knows what lurks in the mind of a Ping?

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old October 2nd 12, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

I'm glad he seems to be better - I would freak if that happened to one
of my cats. He must not have been feeling very good yesterday, but I
wonder what caused it?

--
Joyce
Old October 2nd 12, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 03:20:21 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

Who knows what lurks in the mind of a Ping?

I'm glad he seems to be better - I would freak if that happened to one
of my cats. He must not have been feeling very good yesterday, but I
wonder what caused it?

True, cats hiding is always a scary thing. Well, if he's fine for the
next few days, no problem. Otherwise, off to the vet.
Old October 3rd 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/1/2012 9:55 PM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

OK. Not acting like a sick cat.

I snipped most, but just wanted to say there've been a couple of
occasions this exact thing has happened with Rhett. The first time I
had to take him to emergency vet because he was groaning and it was a
Sunday night. turned out that in addition to the diarrhea he had gas
pains. Vet gave him a shot of what amounts to zantac.

so it happened again and I gave him half a zantac pill and it cleared up
by morning. It hasn't happened in months so I'm not sure what that was
all about.

Best wishes for Ping!

Old October 3rd 12, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:58:26 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

On 10/1/2012 9:55 PM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

OK. Not acting like a sick cat.

I snipped most, but just wanted to say there've been a couple of
occasions this exact thing has happened with Rhett. The first time I
had to take him to emergency vet because he was groaning and it was a
Sunday night. turned out that in addition to the diarrhea he had gas
pains. Vet gave him a shot of what amounts to zantac.

so it happened again and I gave him half a zantac pill and it cleared up
by morning. It hasn't happened in months so I'm not sure what that was
all about.

Best wishes for Ping!

I don't see why cats can't get a stomach flu of some sort. They're so
stoic that we probably wouldn't even notice if it wasn't for the poop.
Old October 3rd 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote:

On 10/1/2012 9:55 PM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

OK. Not acting like a sick cat.

I snipped most, but just wanted to say there've been a couple of
occasions this exact thing has happened with Rhett. The first time I
had to take him to emergency vet because he was groaning and it was a
Sunday night. turned out that in addition to the diarrhea he had gas
pains. Vet gave him a shot of what amounts to zantac.

so it happened again and I gave him half a zantac pill and it cleared up
by morning. It hasn't happened in months so I'm not sure what that was
all about.

Best wishes for Ping!

I don't see why cats can't get a stomach flu of some sort. They're so
stoic that we probably wouldn't even notice if it wasn't for the poop.

I want to thank everyone for their concern over Ping - he is still fine,
not missing meals (and back to begging for water from the tub faucet
every time he notices one of us in the bathroom - we had almost broken
him of that habit by NOT giving in to him for months on endsigh) and
is currently snoring away in a chair nearby as I type this. I can only
assume that he had an upset "tummy" for some reason, and 24 hours of
being confined seemed to cure him.