Roof jumping cat

Old September 18th 05, 05:00 AM
Susan M

Default Roof jumping cat

Last night, Otis was sitting on the roof underneath our second storey
bedroom window whining for over an hour. I went downstairs and called to
him from the yard but he just stood there yowling at me from the roof. I
don't know why since he had never had a problem hopping down before.

Eventually, we had to go to bed and we couldn't stand it anymore. I went
outside in my pj's with a flashlight and shone the light on the fence under
the eaves until he *finally* decided to jump down and come inside.

How many cats have humans going to shine lights on their landing spots? I
know at least one ...

Susan M
Well trained
Otis and Chester
Obstinate

Old September 18th 05, 10:05 AM
Kate Morris

Susan M wrote:

How many cats have humans going to shine lights on their landing spots? I
know at least one ...

Fudge has us well trained too! If she is on the garage roof and we are
outside she will claim she is trapped.

She won't come down until we stand next to the garage and bend forward
so she can jump onto our back, and then onto the ground.

If we're not outside, she'll quite happily hop down onto the fence.

She used to scare our neighbours where we used to live by going from the
fence onto the garage and then onto the roof of our house where she
would sit on the front edge miaowing pitifully at people walking past,
so they would knock on the door and offer their ladders, at which point
she would walk back over the roof, onto the garage and back down into
the garden, and through the house to stand next to us at the front door
while we were still trying to assure them that she wasn't really trapped
on the roof and ladders weren't necessary. (I'm sure she was laughing at
them). We now live in a bungalow so she doesn't do it any more.

Kate.

Owned by Fudge, Caramel & Meg
http://www.geocities.com/kate_dunn/miaow.html
Old September 18th 05, 01:53 PM
wafflycat

"Susan M" wrote in message

How many cats have humans going to shine lights on their landing spots? I
know at least one ...

I am Waffles's landing spot :-)

She *loves* being "Onna Up"

Cheers, helen s

Old September 18th 05, 02:25 PM
Kalynnda Berens

Susan M wrote:
snip.

How many cats have humans going to shine lights on their landing spots? I
know at least one ...

Susan M

When we lived in Tucson, Shadow got up on our roof by jumping on the
block fence, then up on the carport roof which connected with the main
roof. If we worked out in the front yard, she loved to watch us from
on-high. She was great about getting down on her own, except if we were
outside. Then she'd cry at us, and we'd have lead her (verbally) back to
her jumping-down spot. She certainly had us well trained.

Kalynnda, owned by seven four-footed furry freeloaders
Old September 18th 05, 09:22 PM
Susan M

"Kate Morris" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
She used to scare our neighbours where we used to live by going from the
fence onto the garage and then onto the roof of our house where she would
sit on the front edge miaowing pitifully at people walking past, so they
would knock on the door and offer their ladders, at which point she would
walk back over the roof, onto the garage and back down into the garden,
and through the house to stand next to us at the front door while we were
still trying to assure them that she wasn't really trapped on the roof and
ladders weren't necessary. (I'm sure she was laughing at them). We now
live in a bungalow so she doesn't do it any more.

LOL - that's priceless!!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old September 18th 05, 09:23 PM
Susan M

"wafflycat" waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote in
message ...

I am Waffles's landing spot :-)
She *loves* being "Onna Up"

She's got you trained too :-) That *can't* be comfortable when she lands

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old September 18th 05, 09:24 PM
Susan M

"Kalynnda Berens" wrote in message

When we lived in Tucson, Shadow got up on our roof by jumping on the block
fence, then up on the carport roof which connected with the main roof. If
we worked out in the front yard, she loved to watch us from on-high. She
was great about getting down on her own, except if we were outside. Then
she'd cry at us, and we'd have lead her (verbally) back to her
jumping-down spot. She certainly had us well trained.

Who knew that so many people had demanding roof cats??? I don't quite
understand why they do it but it is kind of endearing :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old September 18th 05, 09:45 PM
Jo Firey

"Susan M" wrote in message
Last night, Otis was sitting on the roof underneath our second storey
bedroom window whining for over an hour. I went downstairs and called to
him from the yard but he just stood there yowling at me from the roof. I
don't know why since he had never had a problem hopping down before.

Eventually, we had to go to bed and we couldn't stand it anymore. I went
outside in my pj's with a flashlight and shone the light on the fence
under the eaves until he *finally* decided to jump down and come inside.

How many cats have humans going to shine lights on their landing spots? I
know at least one ...

Worse here. We have to go up on a ladder to get Jake down half the time.
Molly has learned to get herself down.

Jake can get down, he just can't remember to go to the side of the house
where he got up to start with.

Jo

Old September 18th 05, 10:19 PM
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:24:33 GMT, "Susan M" wrote:

"Kalynnda Berens" wrote in message

When we lived in Tucson, Shadow got up on our roof by jumping on the block
fence, then up on the carport roof which connected with the main roof. If
we worked out in the front yard, she loved to watch us from on-high. She
was great about getting down on her own, except if we were outside. Then
she'd cry at us, and we'd have lead her (verbally) back to her
jumping-down spot. She certainly had us well trained.

Who knew that so many people had demanding roof cats??? I don't quite
understand why they do it but it is kind of endearing :-)

My father used to leave his extension ladder leaning against his house
so that his cat could go up on the roof. There was a small side porch
in front of the kitchen windows, with a wooden beam going diagonally
across (part of a never-completed trellis), and the cat would perch
herself at the middle of the beam and gaze in the kitchen windows. On
a few occasions, my parents found some other neighborhood cat perched
up on the beam, and gazing in the window, instead of their own cat.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old September 19th 05, 01:30 AM
Susan M

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
My father used to leave his extension ladder leaning against his house
so that his cat could go up on the roof. There was a small side porch
in front of the kitchen windows, with a wooden beam going diagonally
across (part of a never-completed trellis), and the cat would perch
herself at the middle of the beam and gaze in the kitchen windows. On
a few occasions, my parents found some other neighborhood cat perched
up on the beam, and gazing in the window, instead of their own cat.

That just reminded me of those planks that people put on their walls to
create climbing routes along the walls of their house. We're renovating
this spring - wouldn't it be fun to put a climbing route up the back of the
house

Susan M
Otis and Cheste4r

Cat Set On Fire, Tossed Off School Roof Bill Cat health & behaviour 10 March 23rd 05 05:05 AM
Jake and the Roof Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 1 February 15th 05 12:40 AM
Rosie on the roof LOL Cat anecdotes 11 August 11th 04 08:42 PM
Feral Cats & Roof Rats Cat Protector Cat health & behaviour 39 January 19th 04 12:33 AM
problems with jumping Rona Yuthasastrakosol Cat health & behaviour 16 August 8th 03 03:52 AM