Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds (HD)

Old August 19th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut3852

Default Trap, Neuter, and Release: Bad for Cats, Disaster for Birds (HD)

http://www.youtube.com/abcbirds

So what is the answer?

Sadly, the only answer currently is humane euthanasia for unadoptable
individuals. It is a hard decision, but shelters are so very
overloaded, I think it's the only humane thing we can do until the human
population can be better educated to spay, neuter, and not breed cats
indiscriminately.

I know this is an unpopular thought, and I hate the necessity, but there
truly isn't anything else that can be done currently.

jmc

Do you hunt and kill aniamls??

Maybe we should "Euthanize" you. You kill to eat what you kill
hopefully and as a rule so do cats.

So why "Euthanize" them and not you!?!?!

Old August 19th 09, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut3852

Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

Thanks for the reminder of the word meaning.

Abortion is killing too, I hope you agree. A cat inside the womb
is just as deserving of life and a home as a cat outside the womb.

This is off topic but most people may not realize if you take a cat to
be "fixed" and it is pregnant the fetuses (Or whatever they are
called) are aborted and thrown aside no matter how far along they are.

Old August 19th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kraut3852

Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

And you think they're not suffering in a crowded kennel with other
animals, some of them sick and all of them anxious and upset? Do you
think a battery chicken is better off continuing that life or being
given a painless death?

As jmc said, it's not a good alternative but it's also not
necessarily the worst.

The SPCA in Tompkins County is a no-kill shelter, but even their
resources are strained to the limit. I can't imagine what conditions
must be like in an urban shelter.

The topis is TNR, Stan. This stupid bitch is saying this needs to stop and
the cats must be killed to save the birds. Do you agree with that?

And I have seen stray cats killed by dogs. Does that mean we kill all
the dogs out there?!?!

Or what about birds that kill bugs and worms and eat them? Does that
mean we kill all birds??

Get real people!!! Everything in the wild kills to eat and live. If
we got rid of eerything that killed other things we would be killing
everything including people that killed animals or fish to live!!!

Old August 19th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"kraut3852" wrote in message

Its not euthanasia- its killing. Euthanasia is ending the life of a
suffering animal.

Thanks for the reminder of the word meaning.

Abortion is killing too, I hope you agree. A cat inside the womb
is just as deserving of life and a home as a cat outside the womb.

This is off topic but most people may not realize if you take a cat to
be "fixed" and it is pregnant the fetuses (Or whatever they are
called) are aborted and thrown aside no matter how far along they are.

As well they should be.

Old August 19th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 19, 3:23*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
kraut3852 wrote:
calvin wrote:
Abortion is killing too, I hope you agree. *A cat inside the womb
is just as deserving of life and a home as a cat outside the womb.

This is off topic but most people may not realize if you take a cat to
be "fixed" and it is pregnant the fetuses (Or whatever they are
called) are aborted and thrown aside no matter how far along they are.

As well they should be.

As well they should NOT be. If they are viable, ie. can survive
with their mother's nursing, then the spaying should be
postponed until after the kittens are born, and have been
weaned at the proper time. The vet should be able to tell
roughly how near the birth is. My vet said he will not perform
late-term spay/abortions, but unfortunately some vets will.

Again, a viable cat inside the womb is no less deserving
of life and a home (and love) than a cat outside the womb.

Also, a mother cat, whose mothering instincts are becoming
in force as birth nears, does not deserve the butchery of
an abortion/spaying at that time.
Old August 19th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 19, 2:53*pm, kraut3852 wrote:
This is off topic but most people may not realize if you take a cat to
be "fixed" and it is pregnant the fetuses (Or whatever they are
called) are aborted and thrown aside no matter how far along they are.

Most people don't realize much of anything, but a vet
knows when a pregnant cat is nearing full term, and
he/she can refuse to do a late-term spay/abortion.

Old August 19th 09, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Aug 19, 6:34*am, dgk wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 02:56:39 -0700 (PDT), chatnoir

wrote:
On Aug 18, 2:13*pm, calvin wrote:
On Aug 18, 5:06*pm, chatnoir wrote:

I keep my cats caged!

Sounds like animal abuse.

You sound like abuse - hope you don't have kids also!

How big are the cages? *How many cats do you have?

5 cats - 15 feet by 36 feet - more than they gets at shelters

How many are in each cage? *How often do you let them out?

they run the house and the outside cage!

Why do you have cats when you treat them this way?

Better than you treat them - I value my cats!

You mean you let them outside but keep them in a big cage outside?
That makes sense. Essentially I do the same thing. My backyard is a
big cage for them. Of course, it's a cage that has no top so the birds
do stop by.

It is attached to my house! The cats decide when to go out and when
to go in!
Old August 19th 09, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (8/19/2009 5:54 AM):
On Aug 18, 9:16 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Aug 18, 1:59 pm, jmc wrote:

Suddenly, without warning, calvin exclaimed (8/18/2009 10:42 AM):
On Aug 18, 10:34 am, dgk wrote:
Actually I was thinking that. My cats do kill some birds each year -
one got nailed over the weekend. ...
With my cats, it has always been when they were young
that they caught birds, and even (amazingly) a few squirrels.
After age two or so, if I remember correctly, their urge to
stalk these creatures has declined considerably.
Lol, the birds around here have Meep's number, for sure. Due to issues
with her hind legs, she can't really jump. Birds have figured this out,
and will feed - albeit nervously - even with her right below the feeder,
a mere 4' from their feet.
Even the hummer was chasing honeybees while completely ignoring the
sleek black predator stretched out below, watching her.
In a past location, some birds would even walk up to our glass doors to
harass Meep through the glass, and had even been known to chase her
inside.
Not all cats are Dangerous Hunters
jmc
I keep my cats caged!

Take them to a shelter, you insipid moron.- Hide quoted text -

Better treated than lose cats

Just to be clear, she's not loose. She's on our deck, under
supervision. Meep is an indoor kitty.

jmc
Old August 20th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:49:53 -0400 from kraut3852 :
You kill to eat what you kill
hopefully and as a rule so do cats.

Nonsense. Non-feral cats, at least, quite often kill for sport
because they're already well fed.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old August 20th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:21:52 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote i:

You mean you let them outside but keep them in a big cage outside?
That makes sense. Essentially I do the same thing. My backyard is a
big cage for them. Of course, it's a cage that has no top so the birds
do stop by.

come on, come clean, you have posted that your cats regularly snack on
cardinals. hahaha!

I do feel bad about the one cardinal that got chilled. Total number of
bird kills by all of my cats is somewhere around 10. One cardinal,
nine plain brown ones. Actually, I feel badly about all of them. Just
not badly enough to deny my cats a reasonably safe outdoor room.

Outside of man, cats are the only animal I can think of that does seem
to kill for fun.

I didn't even know that Epsy had killed one over the weekend. He was
inside, hanging out in large paper bag. It wasn't until the
Significant Other went to put away the bag that the deceased bird was
observed - and loudly reported on.