cat flu: kitten

Old September 1st 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default cat flu: kitten

Hi everyone. I'm new to this, so please go easy on the complants. I
have a little kitten and he's only like 3 mo old. He's having a hard
time breathing, he's beginning to drool, doesn't want to eat, and his
left eye is covered in puss. My boyfriend and I tried to force him to
drink tiny amounts of milk at a time, and tried to get him to eat.
We've had this problem for about 4 days. Right now he is sleeping....
but I really want to get him to the vet; the only problem is I don't
have enough money for the bills right now and no transportation. I
would get him some medication but like I said before, I don't really
have any way to right now. My boyfriend held some Noxzema (acne med) up
to his nose so he could clear his nasal congestion, so at least now he
can close his mouth. Can anyone give me some advice of how I can treat
my cat with this problem (possibly w/out a vet)?

Old September 1st 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

If you have a mist humidifier you could run that in a small area and put
kitty in there. You could also run the shower (straight hot water) and steam
up the bathroom and put him in there. Take a warm wash cloth and gently
clean the goop from his eyes and nose as best you can. DO NOT GIVE THE
KITTEN MILK. Many cats are lactose intolerant and you could give the kitty
diarrhea. He does need to eat though. If he can't smell the food he won't
eat it on his own. Warm up some wet kitten food or onion free baby meats in
the microwave. Warm food has more smell and if you can get the kitten's nose
open he might eat a little. You could pick up a syringe feeder at the pet
store and see if you can squirt some food into kitty's mouth. Be very
careful that the cat doesn't inhale any food or liquids or you could end up
with aspiration pneumonia.

Do a web search for "vet bill assistance". There are groups around who will
help with vet bills for those who can't afford it. This cat realllllllllllly
needs to see a vet. He needs to be on an antibiotic and eye ointment at the
very least. Because he's already gone 4 days not eating (or drinking I
assume) adequately he might be dehydrated and need sub q fluids. Dehydration
can kill a kitten very quickly. If you can't find assistance online, call
the local shelter and see if they know of any help available or low cost
clinic in your area. Call the vet and see if you can work out a payment
plan. Pussy eyes means an infection. Without any treatment it *could* lead
to a ruptured globe. The longer the URI is allowed to go on the better the
chances of permanent damage that will leave you with a chronic snuffler if
the cat does manage to fight this off himself.

Good luck and please don't just sit there doing nothing. You took on the
responsibility of this live, breathing animal. You have to be proactive and
not just sit there saying "I can't"

ups.com...

Old September 1st 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

This sounds like VERY SERIOUS upper respiratory infection. Kittens this age
die from it. Two prominent forms of the virus that cause it may be present
at the same time. The eye infection and inability - not unwillingness - to
eat are direct results of the virus. He needs hydration NOW. I brought one
of my cats back from the brink of death due to URI and it's a pretty intense
treatment.

The virus will cause ulcers in the mouth and throat that make taking any
food or liquid very difficult. Get some liquid baby Ora-Jel and swab the
inside of the mouth and as far back into the throat as you can get it to go.
You will have to get a small animal nursing bottle - pets stores or vet
will have them. Should cost less than a dollar. Cut off the tip of the
nipple so that a hole about 1/8 of an inch is present. You will need to mix
wet cat food with water until it is a runny paste form. Try force feeding
about one or two tablespoons at a time immediately after applying the
Ora-Jel. This needs to be repeated every few hours. If you have access to
amoxicillin liquid, 1 teaspoon every 4 hours needs to be given. Vets have
antibiotics more specifically aimed at this treatment but they aren't common
to find in most households. If you know anyone that has any lysine -
available at health food stores, give this every 4 hours at 1/10 of the
human dose for a few days. This will help boost the immune system.

The biggest things to deal with right now are hydration and nutrition. The
infection symptoms really DO REQUIRE antibiotics. Your kitten is suffering
the human equivalent of pneumonia, bronchitis, and sinus infection all at
the same time. Don't waste anymore time. If you REALLY want to save this
kitten, it's time to make a deal with a vet - NOW.

I know that the regs here are going to give me hell for this advice, but if
the OP does not take the kitten to a vet NOW, it WILL die. Even with vet
treatment, the prognosis wouldn't be terribly good. My boy Spot recovered
from it after 2 weeks of force feeding before he could eat on his own again.

Old September 2nd 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Your kitten needs to see a vet immediately. This sounds like an upper
respiratory infection and it will not go away on its own without medication.
Check with your local humane society. They often have vet clinics that
charge cheaper rates. Also, check with vet offices to see if they offer
some type of payment plan.

But you have to get the kitten to a vet....that is first and foremost.

Sue
ups.com...