Mis-pee-having Cat :(

Old September 17th 03, 02:36 AM
Steven Kan

Default Mis-pee-having Cat :(

My dearest Nikita (the white one, below):

http://www.kan.org/pictures/boing/SpiderCat_w.jpg

is peeing inappropriately again. She lives with Tango (the large black
male), my wife and me. Their relationship is generally good (?), but
could probably be better. The usually get along, e.g. they eat from
the same food dish without complaining, and he'll let her push her way
in ahead of him. They also groom each other from time to time.

But Tango also exhibits regular dominance behavior. Once or more each
day he pounces on her and pushes her on her back until she yowls. If
she gets up he chases her around for awhile. She usually finds refuge
under the sofa or bed. He's never injured her, afaik, but she clearly
calls him "uncle" around the house.

Nikita seems to pee most on things that Tango likes, like his favorite
seat cushion or his favorite plastic bag*. She was really good for
about 9 months, but then this last month has been bad (5-6 times, and
3 in the last week alone).

When Tango pounces on her we reprimand him and chase him away from
her, and if there's a squirt bottle around he gets a dose of that,
too. What else can we do to make Nikita feel more secure so she'll
stop peeing?

Thanks!

*p.s. this "favorite thing" used to be me. Tango and Nikita both like
sitting on my chest when I'm asleep. For awhile there Nikita tried to
"claim" that as her territory by peeing on the comforter while I was
underneath it. You can stop laughing now!!

**scolding Nikita doesn't seem to be much of an option, because she
often does it when we're not even home.

***placement of food or foil doesn't seem much of an option either,
because her last 5 events were all in completely different places (on
a curtain, on a bed, on a plastic bag, and on two different seat
cushions).
Old September 17th 03, 04:35 AM
bakka

"Steven Kan" wrote in message
m...
My dearest Nikita (the white one, below):
is peeing inappropriately again.

time to put her down. kitty treats and a hammer work well.

Old September 17th 03, 04:35 AM
bakka

m...

Old September 17th 03, 04:35 AM
bakka

m...

Old September 18th 03, 06:13 PM
Mel

Try the feliway first. (best price on the difusers and refills that
I've found are at jefferspets.com).
I've got a chronic Pee-boy kitty and its been frustrating trying to
determine what his triggers are. The feliway did help but didn't
eliminate it.

Others options worth talking to your vet about are Buspar and Prozac.
Very few side effects for cats and has been shown to be very helpful.
We tried the Buspar with my kitty and it really reduced it but still
didn't eliminate it completely.

Trapping and taking away 2 of the stray tom cats that were coming on
the back deck and spraying on the sliding doors has been a big help
also.

There are so many reasons why that its hard to control.
Also its very important you get the enzyme cleaners and clean up
really well so there is no smell residue to cause them to continue
going in the same spot.

Mel