Serval Cat's Fate in Ordinance Limbo

Old April 10th 04, 10:53 PM
MacCandace

And as far as hawking up lugies onto the sidewalk, my advice to
anybody visiting NYC is to not look down. You can't take a step
without passing over (or through) at least three globs of spit/snot.

Laura

Yukkers, and here I thought you were living the good life after seeing your
apt. pics.

I think I'll stay in Phoenix. I never see that. Occasionally, you'll see some
redneck cowboy spit but that's kinda rare.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old April 11th 04, 12:21 AM
Sherry

The first time I saw a man close one of his nostrils with his finger
and then blow snot out of the other onto the sidewalk, I nearly
puked.

Oh, that's nasty. NASTY! Ewww yuk gross. About as nasty as people who spit
tobacco on the sidewalk.

Sherry

Old April 11th 04, 12:21 AM
RobZip

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
The first time I saw a man close one of his nostrils with his finger
and then blow snot out of the other onto the sidewalk, I nearly
puked.

I saw a bum do that trick in Jacksonville one time. The nose blubber
stretched out to about a foot long and dangled from his scnozz as he swayed
from side to side trying to get it to drop. Unfortunately (for him) he
turned sideways to the wind and the breeze lofted the dangling end up and
stuck it to the side of his head.

Old April 11th 04, 12:51 AM
MacCandace

I saw a bum do that trick in Jacksonville one time. The nose blubber
stretched out to about a foot long and dangled from his scnozz as he swayed
from side to side trying to get it to drop. Unfortunately (for him) he
turned sideways to the wind and the breeze lofted the dangling end up and
stuck it to the side of his head.

Thanks for the visual.

Old April 11th 04, 07:41 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
s.com...

A friend of mine who recently got into the Dept. of State Foreign
Service (I almost made it) is posted in China. She said the place just
grosses her out. The air is not only polluted, but people spit like no
tomorrow and honk loogies (sp?) out their noses on the sidewalk. She
wants to quit, but they'd send her a bill for her relocation, so she
needs to stick it out for another year. I told her to just keep an eye
out for a nice welath Chinese businessman. She said it wouldn't so bad
because the upper classes and much different, but she'd still be
dodging loogies her entire married life.

My plan is to marry a Japanese man who works for a large multi-national
corporation so we can be transferred all over the world. A friend's husband
works for Honda. They've been stationed in Canada for the last 6 years and
will probably go to the US or Europe after that. That's the life *I* want
to lead--travel, cultural immersion, plus excellent benefits and perks--what
more could I want :-).

I think I might have implied that spitting, etc. was a cultural thing, but
that was not my intention. It is the taking off of shoes when entering a
home that is cultural. I remember my first experience visiting someone's
home in Japan--I took off my shoes, stepped onto the floor of the entrance,
and then stepped into my friend's home. My friend's son, who was maybe 3 or
4 at the time, pointed to my feet and said something in Japanese to his
father and his father quickly covered his (the son's) mouth sort of
embarrassedly. I immediately knew I had done something wrong and suspected
it was stepping onto the floor. I later asked another friend and found that
the floor of the entrance is similar to outside in that you've tracked
whatever dirt from outside onto that floor. Usually, you enter the home,
slip your feet a little out of your shoes, and then step up into the home
from your shoes (the entrance is lower than the rest of the home). Oops. I
never made that mistake again!

It's interesting how different cultures have different concepts of
cleanliness. In some ways, blowing snot out of your nose directly onto the
ground is actually cleaner since your hands don't touch the snot. I've seen
so many people blow quite heavily into tissues, and then proceed to touch
anything and everything around them without washing their hands. I think
that's just as gross as seeing a ball of snot fly out of someone's nose.
Well, maybe not *as* gross, but it's right up there.

rona

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."