Question on collars

Old April 9th 04, 11:37 AM
Jeannie

equalizer wrote in message
I've got 4 indoor only cats. All 4 are micro chipped, and wear
break-away collars 24/7 with ID's, rabies tags, microchip info. It just
occurred to me thought that they've been wearing these collars non-stop
for about 4 months now since they've been off. I decided to take them
off of them for a few hours. They don't react to the collars at all, but
what are people's feeling about the length of time to leave a collar on?
Is it a good idea to give them a "break" now and then, or is it
un-necessary? I frequently check the area under the collar while I'm
brushing them and doing general exams of them.

If they're indoor only cats why do they need to have the collars on at all?

Jeannie

Old April 9th 04, 12:54 PM
equalizer

In article , Jeannie says...

equalizer wrote in message
.. .
I've got 4 indoor only cats. All 4 are micro chipped, and wear
break-away collars 24/7 with ID's, rabies tags, microchip info. It just
occurred to me thought that they've been wearing these collars non-stop
for about 4 months now since they've been off. I decided to take them
off of them for a few hours. They don't react to the collars at all, but
what are people's feeling about the length of time to leave a collar on?
Is it a good idea to give them a "break" now and then, or is it
un-necessary? I frequently check the area under the collar while I'm
brushing them and doing general exams of them.

If they're indoor only cats why do they need to have the collars on at all?

Jeannie

Safety --I want the collars on as a first defense should something happen and
they get out while nobody's around, be it disaster, burglary, whatever. They're
alone in the house at least 10 hours a day on the weekdays. Not everyone they
might run into outside knows about microchips.

Old April 9th 04, 04:28 PM
blkcatgal

I agree. You just never know what may happen when you are away from home.

Sue

"equalizer" wrote in message
In article , Jeannie says...

.. .

Old April 9th 04, 04:28 PM
blkcatgal

I agree. You just never know what may happen when you are away from home.

Sue

"equalizer" wrote in message
In article , Jeannie says...

.. .

Old April 9th 04, 06:06 PM
Tracy

Because if they ever do slip outdoors and get scared or disoriented
(which is likely with an indoor only cat) - then whoever eventually
finds them - animal control, a shelter, a vetinarian, a neighbor -
will know that your cat is owned.
That's why.

Old April 9th 04, 07:28 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:37:37 +0100, "Jeannie"
wrote:

equalizer wrote in message
.. .
I've got 4 indoor only cats. All 4 are micro chipped, and wear
break-away collars 24/7 with ID's, rabies tags, microchip info. It just
occurred to me thought that they've been wearing these collars non-stop
for about 4 months now since they've been off. I decided to take them
off of them for a few hours. They don't react to the collars at all, but
what are people's feeling about the length of time to leave a collar on?
Is it a good idea to give them a "break" now and then, or is it
un-necessary? I frequently check the area under the collar while I'm
brushing them and doing general exams of them.

If they're indoor only cats why do they need to have the collars on at all?

Jeannie

Do you ever read the news? Stuff happens all the time and animals
suffer.