Feces or vomit?

Old April 9th 04, 03:22 PM
Dennis Carr

Default Feces or vomit?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:36:30 -0400, Leanne wrote:

I just woke up only to find that my 4 year old cat, Cherub, left something
on my bed while I was asleep. It's shaped kind-of like feces, although
flatter, smells like cat food, and has hair in it (coughing up a hair-ball
maybe?) and is light/medium brown.

Yep, that's a hairball. No biggie there. Recommend feeding your cat a
hairball control formula, particularly Iams or Science Diet. One of the
premium brands that you find at groomer shops (eg, natural life) works
good if you can afford it. (Don't mind me, I'm put off by Purina when I
looked at the indoor cat formula and found the first ingredient to be
'cellulose', which is something they use to make particle board and such.

Also, the liner could be throwing your cat off - cats tend not to like the
noise they make. Makes it more inconvient in the long run, but at least
kitty isn't using everything else as a litterbox, no? =^^=

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old April 9th 04, 03:23 PM
Kitkat

If it smells like cat food and there is hair in it...its a hairball.

peace,
pam

"Enjoy every second of your life...it may end at any time and you may come back
as some loser with bad taste." -my friend JoeyJojo

***notice spam blocker***

Old April 9th 04, 04:09 PM
Sherry

Right now, I feed him Purina Happy Cat.
His litter box is cleaned out pretty much everyday (I live in a small
apartment, so I don't want him to stink it up. lol)

Just a suggestion, but have you ever thought of switching food? I'm asking
because I used to feed Happy Cat (or Meow Mix) years ago...one day I realized
that when the cats would throw up, it would leave a red-orange stain that
*nothing* would get out of the carpet. Looking at the food, it's so brightly
colored it's unreal. I figured all that dye couldn't be good for them. I
switched back then to Nutro and couldn't *believe* the difference in the
litterbox...much less volume and less stinky! (there are lots of premium brands
besides Nutro, too),If you have to stick to grocery-store brands, Purina One
is better than Happy Cat. Just a suggestion, but I still remember how amazed I
was at the difference. (that was pre-internet days, I've since learned a lot
:-)

Sherry

Old April 9th 04, 06:55 PM
Jim Vecchiola

From your description, it's probably a "hairball" - not really a ball,
but more tubular in shape. Also, you mentioned that it smells like cat
food, has hairs - a perfect hairball! I don't think your kitty has a
problem with going outside the litterbox - she just had to barf up the
hair/food blockage, and your bed was handy. Keep an eye on her, brush
frequently, and keep us posted.

Jim

Leanne wrote:

Hi all,

I just woke up only to find that my 4 year old cat, Cherub, left something
on my bed while I was asleep. It's shaped kind-of like feces, although
flatter, smells like cat food, and has hair in it (coughing up a hair-ball
maybe?) and is light/medium brown. Right now, I feed him Purina Happy Cat.
His litter box is cleaned out pretty much everyday (I live in a small
apartment, so I don't want him to stink it up. lol) so it's clean, not full
at all. I did put a liner in his litter-box, and since then he scratches
around looking for a spot in his litter-box, and jumps out and scratches
everywhere else after having not done his business in the box. I'm confused.
We moved one week ago and since the move, he seems to be already completely
adjusted and comfortable, or so I think. lol
If it were feces it would probably smell like it right? the shape is what's
really throwing me off. Perhaps it only looks solid because it sat there for
a few hours? lol sorry for all the questions.. just trying to understand
what my kitty did. This is unlike him, although, 3 years ago, twice, he
urinated on my brand-new bed, and hasn't done anything like that since.
hmm..

All replies would help and be greatly appreciated=)

Thanks,

Lee-Anna

Old April 9th 04, 11:15 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:36:30 -0400, "Leanne"
wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

Sounds like a typical hairball. Try giving him some Femalt, Petromalt
or similar hairball remedy. Iams has dry food with hairbsll remedy
which works well. Do you brush or comb him regularly? It helps
prevent such big hairballs. Do you have Vet checks regularly?