drinking problem

Old April 9th 04, 09:58 PM
Lotte

Default drinking problem

OK, I thought I'd run this by the fine minds in RPCH+B (this newsgroup):

I have a 14 year-old female, indoor only, neutered, whom I've had since
about 4 weeks of age. She has multiple health issues (hypertropic
cardiomyopathy, food allergy). On Feb 2nd I took her in for a blood panel
because she was drinking / peeing a lot and of course I wanted to rule out
diabetes and/or kidney problems. The vet said all her tests (urinalysis,
bloodwork) came back normal. No diabetes, no renal failure, good hydration,
normal everything.

She's still drinking and peeing a lot -- should I be worried about this,
given her normal tests? The other day I noticed that she's got a little
bald spot on the inside of her back leg. It's not sore or anything, just
looks like the fur has rubbed off. No idea if this is related to the
drinking. She could just be getting old and going bald, I guess... I really
can't spend another $400 just now for another test, and, frankly, I don't
know if it's warranted.

Anyone else notice their older cats drinking & peeing more? Any other
health concerns I might look out for?

Thanks -- Lotte

Old April 10th 04, 06:02 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:58:54 -0500, Lotte wrote:

OK, I thought I'd run this by the fine minds in RPCH+B (this newsgroup):

I have a 14 year-old female, indoor only, neutered, whom I've had since
about 4 weeks of age. She has multiple health issues (hypertropic
cardiomyopathy, food allergy). On Feb 2nd I took her in for a blood panel
because she was drinking / peeing a lot and of course I wanted to rule out
diabetes and/or kidney problems. The vet said all her tests (urinalysis,
bloodwork) came back normal. No diabetes, no renal failure, good hydration,
normal everything.

Well, that she's peeing much is a side effect of that she's drinking a
lot. Unto itself, that's perfectly normal. You try drinking about a
gallon of water in one sitting and wait for about an hour at most. =^^=

But never mind then that she's peeing much, why is she now a "waterholic"?
If I were me, I'd find out if the vet still has those blood screens and
perhaps revisit them for something - or go back for a rescreening. Is
there something in the mouth/throat/whatever that's being soothed by
driniing copious amounts of water? Perhaps ear mites or other aural
trouble coming down the eustacian canals (assuming cats have them) that
can be best soothed via a good solid drink?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old April 10th 04, 12:00 PM
Penny Foryourthoughts

I, too, have an older female cat (age 12) who recently exhibited
excessive drinking and urinatiing over about a 3-wk period.
And like your cat, lab tests came back generally normal.

However, according to the vet she was running a high fever, which could
be expected to produce dehydration with resulting increased thirst and
water intake. He made a logical assumption that there was some
underlying infection, treated her with a broad-spectrum
anti-biotic, and all symptoms cleared up.
This all occurred several months ago and my precious kitty has remained
well since.
Penny

Old April 11th 04, 01:39 AM
Lotte

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Fri, 9 Apr 2004 15:58:54 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Lotte ) said,

[...]

What were the specifics of the test results? USG/BUN/Creatinine?

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

USG = not sure (don't see it on the test result -- could it be called
something else?)
Creatinine = 2.2
BUN = 27