Cat Door in House-to-Garage door?

Old May 20th 05, 07:30 PM

Default Cat Door in House-to-Garage door?

I'm wondering whether it'd be ok to install a cat door in the door that
leads from the house to the garage? We keep our cats indoors, and a
trip to the garage is their one "adventure." But getting up in the
middle of the night so they can go out and play gets old quick.

I know there are certain specs about a door that leads to the garage,
such as it must close automatically, things that would help prevent
exhaust fumes from entering the home. I wonder if installing a cat
door would compromise a house/garage door. Anybody here have a cat
door installed in their house/garage door?

-Fleemo

Old May 20th 05, 07:35 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm wondering whether it'd be ok to install a cat door in the door that
leads from the house to the garage? We keep our cats indoors, and a
trip to the garage is their one "adventure." But getting up in the
middle of the night so they can go out and play gets old quick.

I know there are certain specs about a door that leads to the garage,
such as it must close automatically, things that would help prevent
exhaust fumes from entering the home. I wonder if installing a cat
door would compromise a house/garage door. Anybody here have a cat
door installed in their house/garage door?

-Fleemo

I do. Since the cat door stays shut unless it's in use, there isn't any
chance that fumes will get in any more than they would through the crack
under the door. I keep the litter boxes in the garage since I can just use
the leaf blower to blow out spilled litter and it's easy to lock the cat
door then open the garage door when it's time to clean the boxes with hose,
scrub brush and Lysol.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 20th 05, 10:44 PM
bigbadbarry

wrote in message
door would compromise a house/garage door. Anybody here have a cat
door installed in their house/garage door?

-Fleemo

I have same scenario. You cat is playing at night, and sleeping gooood
during the peak day hours...lol

I like your idea for a catdoor, As far as security, the interior
garage/house door, is second line of defense second to the garage door. It
think the odds are in your favor - against a bad person trying to exploit
the cat door, to spoil your home - They still gotta get into the garage. If
you install cat door into the door, maybe put it close to the hinges. Maybe
cutting through petitioning wall is an option.

Old May 21st 05, 02:17 AM
bigbadbarry

bigbadbarry wrote:
wrote in message
door would compromise a house/garage door. Anybody here have a cat
door installed in their house/garage door?

-Fleemo

I have same scenario. You cat is playing at night, and sleeping

gooood
during the peak day hours...lol

I like your idea for a catdoor, As far as security, the interior
garage/house door, is second line of defense second to the garage

door. It
think the odds are in your favor - against a bad person trying to

exploit
the cat door, to spoil your home - They still gotta get into the

garage. If
you install cat door into the door, maybe put it close to the hinges.

Maybe
cutting through petitioning wall is an option.

I don't know what's up with me lately, I read one thing, my mind
interprets on it's own, somehow fumes registered as security. oh well

Old May 21st 05, 07:00 PM

Catnipped, the thought of keeping the cat boxes out in the garage never
even occured to me. Eureka! That alone is worth the hassle of
installing one.

Barry, I've done the same thing many times, written up a long and
lengthy reply to someone's post only to realize I'd completely
misconstrued their question. Don't sweat it.

Thanks you guys.

-Fleemo

Old May 21st 05, 07:05 PM
bigbadbarry

Catnipped, the thought of keeping the cat boxes out in the garage

never
even occured to me. Eureka! That alone is worth the hassle of
installing one.

Barry, I've done the same thing many times, written up a long and
lengthy reply to someone's post only to realize I'd completely
misconstrued their question. Don't sweat it.

Thanks you guys.

-Fleemo

I installed one of these before, and the swinging door hangs close, but
not air tight.

I think I will install one today. we'll see.

Old May 21st 05, 07:21 PM
Catnipped

wrote in message
oups.com...
Catnipped, the thought of keeping the cat boxes out in the garage never
even occured to me. Eureka! That alone is worth the hassle of
installing one.

-Fleemo

Oh, that was a *major* convenience when we moved into our new (old) home.
No more cat litter to vacuum out of the carpet, no more cat litter crunching
underfoot on a tiled surface - just open the garage doors, whip out the leaf
blower and blow all the spilled litter out (and the litter that does spill
just helps absorb all the old oil spills from when garages where used as car
storage rather than junk rooms ;). Also keeps the smell well out of the
rest of the house if one of the cats makes a particularly stinky deposit.
Most cat doors have the ability to be latched closed, so you can keep the
cats out of the garage when the garage doors are open.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 22nd 05, 12:34 PM
Barb

This is interesting but what happens when you pull a car into the garage?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old May 22nd 05, 03:44 PM
Catnipped

"Barb" wrote in message
o.verio.net...
This is interesting but what happens when you pull a car into the garage?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

We don't. We have a large, inset, double driveway that we leave the cars
in. Besides, there's *way* too much junk in the garage (including the cats'
motel) to fit a car (pictures of the garage are towards the bottom of the
page: http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/House/

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 22nd 05, 11:10 PM

Barb wrote:
This is interesting but what happens when you pull a car into the

garage?

--
Barb

Right. Also, if someone just doesn't want the litterbox in the house,
you've got to remember that garages have to be cat-proofed just like
your house. Fishing equipment, wads of electrical cords they can chew
on, all are hazards, as are oil spills.
I *am* speaking from experience. Fish hooks are the worst. Poisons,
lawn fertilizers, all that stuff needs to be in cat-proof containers.
The litterbox in the house doesn't bother me at all. It's a 10-minute
job at most to scoop every day, and wash them once a week. That way the
cat doesn't have to go out in the sweltering heat, or frigid cold, to
eliminate, especially when they are either injured or don't feel well.

Sherry