litter box issues

Old March 22nd 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default litter box issues

I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her
'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but every so often
i would find one uncovered. I finally found the culprit yesterday; Cougar!!
She doesn't even sniff, just gets up and leaves. Any ideas??? It's rather
unpleasant....

Old March 22nd 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

meee wrote:
I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her

wasasf0u8549wehjtrpfvhfw0yu8sd8hrha waaaahsaaha dofiwqeufoiasd
fjoi5u340qt8gp fkjg4q3
sfsdf naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa naaa

na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na nan
n an an an ana n ana

nanananananananaa
nd leaves. Any ideas??? It's rather
unpleasant....

you got a lot of problems
wow!

now I remember why i read these posts
i feel soooo much better about my own problems

deep down! you know you like the smell of cat****!

Old March 22nd 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote in message
I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her
'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but every so
often i would find one uncovered. I finally found the culprit yesterday;
Cougar!! She doesn't even sniff, just gets up and leaves. Any ideas??? It's
rather unpleasant....

Most cats cover, but some cats don't. As far as I know, there is no way to
train a cat to cover her "deposits." Just keep a litter scoop by the box
and quickly scoop some litter over it (or remove it) when you notice.
Fortunately, the smell usually will dissipate quickly even if it doesn't get
covered (as the feces dries).

MaryL

Old March 22nd 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote in message
I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her
'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but every so
often i would find one uncovered. I finally found the culprit yesterday;
Cougar!! She doesn't even sniff, just gets up and leaves. Any ideas???
It's rather unpleasant....

Most cats cover, but some cats don't. As far as I know, there is no way
to train a cat to cover her "deposits." Just keep a litter scoop by the
box and quickly scoop some litter over it (or remove it) when you notice.
Fortunately, the smell usually will dissipate quickly even if it doesn't
get covered (as the feces dries).

MaryL

Ok!! Thanks for that. I will just have to live with it!!

Old March 23rd 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote

Ok!! Thanks for that. I will just have to live with it!!

When my (not very bright) cat would not cover, I would
stop every time I saw a poo in there, pick her up lovingly
and talk sweetly to her, scratch her flat little wedge-shaped
head, take her to the box, sit her in there, very gently take
her little paws and cover the poo, praising her the whole
time. It only took a few times and she began covering it.
She had a few relapses over the years (she lived to be 20)
but the same thing worked every time.

Old March 23rd 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote:

I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover
her 'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but
every so often i would find one uncovered. I finally found the
culprit yesterday; Cougar!! She doesn't even sniff, just gets up
and leaves. Any ideas??? It's rather unpleasant....

Just a word of caution in case you don't already know. You can cause
serious behavioral and even physical problems trying to
correct/train a cat around the litter box. The litter box area must
be a happy place. The reason for that is probably related to the
fact that your cat is stuck inside with you and has no place else to
go. There are lots worse problems than not covering litter. Keep it
clean and relaxed.

I'm not owned by my cats, that's just fact.

Is Cougar aging? My aging female, Kiki has been doing some of that.
I might try another litter box. Part of the problem could be nerves
to begin with. Maybe she is too worried about being bothered by my
other cat to stay around long enough to cover her feces. Or maybe
she is just losing some of her usual awareness.

Good luck.

Old March 23rd 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

meee wrote:
I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her
'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but every so often
i would find one uncovered. I finally found the culprit yesterday; Cougar!!
She doesn't even sniff, just gets up and leaves. Any ideas??? It's rather
unpleasant....

IME, some cats are coverers & some just aren't. Then there are some
who scratch away in there forever, when a few seconds would do the
cover-up job just fine, whereas others just hop out.

Cathy

Old March 24th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" wrote in message

"meee" wrote

Ok!! Thanks for that. I will just have to live with it!!

When my (not very bright) cat would not cover, I would
stop every time I saw a poo in there, pick her up lovingly
and talk sweetly to her, scratch her flat little wedge-shaped
head, take her to the box, sit her in there, very gently take
her little paws and cover the poo, praising her the whole
time. It only took a few times and she began covering it.
She had a few relapses over the years (she lived to be 20)
but the same thing worked every time.

Thanks, I'll give it a go!! (there is hope...)

Old March 24th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...

meee wrote:
I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her
'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but every so
often
i would find one uncovered. I finally found the culprit yesterday;
Cougar!!
She doesn't even sniff, just gets up and leaves. Any ideas??? It's rather
unpleasant....

IME, some cats are coverers & some just aren't. Then there are some
who scratch away in there forever, when a few seconds would do the
cover-up job just fine, whereas others just hop out.

Cathy

yup. the other 5 are scratchers, she is a hopper.

Old March 24th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I was just wondering if there is any way to train a cat to cover her
'deposits'? Most of my cats have great litterbox manners, but every so often
i would find one uncovered. I finally found the culprit yesterday; Cougar!!
She doesn't even sniff, just gets up and leaves. Any ideas??? It's rather
unpleasant....

Sometimes they do this as a "warning" to the other cats, kind of a
territorial thing. If you have 5 others, that might be why. Not much you
can do about it, just scoop it right away if you can. The other kitties
probably don't appreciate it just sitting there on top either.