Evacuation: Mission Accomplished

Old September 12th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

Default Evacuation: Mission Accomplished

Bottom line: we are in San Antonio.

First, I want to send serious purrs and prayers for the safety of
those in Ike's path. It appears that our home is south enough to no
longer be in the target zone, but we did not know that until we got
here.

We are fortunate to have been able to get ourselves out of harm's way
and will keep those who are not so fortunate in our thoughts and
prayers. Also, we remember those medical providers, police, fire
fighters, military, and others who stay behind to help as needed.

As for us, the doctor released Jim yesterday so that we could travel
together. I had most of the stuff packed, but we still had a little
more to do. He is not supposed to lift anything, which was hard for
him. I had to remind him a few times. It was so good to have him
there.

This morning, I got up about 5 a.m. Jim was getting a good sleep, and
he needed the rest. I fed the cats so that they would have time to
settle the tummies and use the litter box before we set out. They had
been remarkably calm during the packing phase and continued to be calm
while I packed some last items.

All went well until we were ready to load them. We got Cinder crated
first, but Rosie, alerted by Cinder's howl, disappeared under the
bed. We had to push her out with a broom, and I caught her and put
her in her crate.

We pulled out of the driveway about 7:30 a.m. Traffic was light and
the weather was good. The cats were quiet. I brought the newspaper,
which I read until I discovered that the section with the comics and
Jim's crossword puzzles was missing. He denied taking the crosswords
out, and I looked around, but didn't see any more sections of the
newspaper.

About that time we smelled something unpleasant. Rosie was huddled in
the back of her crate, trying unsuccessfully to stay out of the big
puddle of vomit that covered the liner on the bottom.

We couldn't pull over because the shoulder was designated as a
hurricane escape lane, and someone might just plow into us. So, poor
Rosie had to endure for more than an hour until we could turn into a
rest area.

After we stopped, I pulled the liner out from under Rosie, and
discovered she was sopping wet and covered with vomit on her stomach,
hips, hind legs and tail. I wiped her off the best I could with paper
towels and grabbed the newspaper off the front passenger seat and put
it under her to help sop up some of the wetness that remained on her
fur.

Jim and I took turns taking care of our own needs, then got back in
the car to continue. Then, I noticed the newspaper on the floor at my
feet. And it dawned on me that I had been sitting on the section with
the crosswords and that was what I had slipped underneath Rosie. So
much for Jim's crosswords.

The traffic was so light that we got to the motel at a little after 10
a.m. The last time we evacuated, the hurricane was Bret, and it took
us 8 hours to get to San Antonio without any rest stops.

Although we were way too early, the motel had a room ready and checked
us in. Rosie felt better after I washed her off in the sink. This
was her first bath ever, so she was a little confused at first, but
she was a good sport.

After we were settled, Jim and I had lunch and took a little walk. We
are across the street from the Alamo and near the Riverwalk. After our
walk, we were exhausted, especially Jim, who insisted on driving. We
crashed and slept for almost three hours.

This place is filling up with people from Houston and Galveston and
other places along the coast. It is pet friendly, and it's fun to
watch people walking their dogs and dogs walking their people.

We have reserved this room until Monday morning.

We so appreciate all the purrs, prayers, and good vibrations.

Annie, Jim, Rosie and Cinder
Old September 12th 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

So glad you made it safely.
Purrs and prayers for all those involved with horrid storm.
This is scary.
Love
Kyla

"Annie Wxill"

Old September 12th 08, 07:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:14:42 -0700 (PDT), Annie Wxill
wrote:

Bottom line: we are in San Antonio.

Massive snippage of unpleasant journey

I'm very happy to read that you and your cats are well out of harm's
way, and that your trip was not nearly as bad as I imagined: Long slow
drive in massive bumper to bumper traffic. Plus Jim being in very bad
shape/pain from his very recent surgery.

And I am still somewhat amazed at the idea of a 'pet friendly' motel.

But, after all those people lost their pets to Katrina, I'll bet the
demand for 'pet friendly' lodgings forced hotels and motels to accept
pets, if they wanted to rent out their rooms.

One of the few 'good' things to happen after Katrina.

I hope your stay is uneventful, and your home is OK when you return to
it.

Purrs are on their way to help ensure this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old September 12th 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Glad to hear you are all safe, even if Jim's crossword puzzle isn't"t! Pet
friendly motels can be fun, seeing the dogs that have never been on leashes
taking their people for walks.

Old September 12th 08, 10:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Annie Wxill wrote:
Bottom line: we are in San Antonio.

snip

I'm so glad you're all safe. Poor Rosie, I home she doesn't have any problem
on the return journey.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 12th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Glad to hear y'all were able to travel together.
Tell Jim we are still purring and praying for
him to start feeling better quickly. Give extra
skritches to the furbabies from us, and God
bless you. You are an extremely patient and
loving woman.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

Old September 12th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Bottom line: we are in San Antonio.

Massive snippage of unpleasant journey

I'm very happy to read that you and your cats are well out of harm's
way, and that your trip was not nearly as bad as I imagined: Long slow
drive in massive bumper to bumper traffic. Plus Jim being in very bad
shape/pain from his very recent surgery.

And I am still somewhat amazed at the idea of a 'pet friendly' motel.

They're all over the place. It may be more prevalent since Katrina but I
really don't think the two are related. Lots of those evacuees left pets
because the officials wouldn't allow them to bring pets along to evacuation
shelters. If they'd been able to leave early and gone to motels instead I'm
sure they'd have taken their pets! Those who had to rely on evacuation
busses going to shelters weren't given the option. And remember the
backlash!!

There are lots of web sites devoted to finding pet friendly lodgings. Some
even have mapquest-like features so you can find out what's available on
your planned travel route. The chain motels and hotels *do* tack on an
extra nightly charge to compensate for possible damage.

Back in the 1980's my brother and I drove together with my dog to visit our
parents here in SC. On our drive back home we had major car trouble and got
stuck in Florence, Alabama while waiting for a part for his car to be sent
to the dealership. The motel we checked into was family owned and not only
didn't they mind my dog, they didn't charge extra for him to stay there

Jill

Old September 12th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

hopitus wrote:
wrote:

[...]

LONGe
I'd venture the "pet-friendly" status might depend a lot on
circumstances of the
moment. I had sent the two girlcats on ahead when I was waiting a week
to close
on sale of my FL house; they traveled by air freight (pet section of
plane belly, way
ahead reserved) having given lavish tips to all personnel where I left
their carriers I
was gratified to learn my relatives retrieved them in MileHigh finding
their carriers
clean (no litterbox offerings inside), water in small containers for
them, and dry food
actually spilling out of carrier.

(snippage)
Not to rain on your parade but what newsreader are you using to post? Did
you recently change newsreaders? Your posts come across even on Windows
Mail (formerly OE with Quotefix) as disjointed and very difficult for me to
read. It's been that way for quite a while now. I didn't used to have that
problem reading your posts, hopitus.

Jill

Old September 13th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

Also, it never hurts to ask. Plenty of places advertise no pets so
they will have an out when someone show up with an absolute monster.

Jo

Old September 13th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"hopitus" wrote in message
news:974ebd9a-4e24-473d-ab92-. I had sent the two girlcats on ahead
when I was waiting a week
to close
on sale of my FL house; they traveled by air freight (pet section of
plane belly, way
ahead reserved) having given lavish tips to all personnel where I
left
their carriers I
was gratified to learn my relatives retrieved them in MileHigh
finding
their carriers
clean (no litterbox offerings inside), water in small containers for
them, and dry food
actually spilling out of carrier. Lavish tips changed hands again
and
I felt well worth
it as they were obviously treated like pet royalty by the baggage
people of Delta.

My BIL worked for years as a baggage handler for Western Airlines. He
considered it his mission in life to make sure any traveling animals
that he had any contact with got they very best of care and
protection.

It was a good thing when he lived and worked in Portland OR, and I
imagine it was lifesaver more than once when he was transferred to Las
Vegas.

Jo