He's blocked!

Old July 7th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Default He's blocked!

So the vet called and said that the xray showed that he's completely
blocked (struvite crystals) and his bladder is very enlarged. I
couldn't feel worse. I guess I should have noticed sooner but then
again it was so weird how it all co-incided with the bite on his back,
etc...
He seemed absolutely fine until he took the antibiotics and then started
puking. I guess it's just a case of 2 different things happening at the
same time.
Anyway, they put a catheter in him and drained his bladder and they are
giving him fluids and acidifying meds for his urine.
I picked up Dennis in Bussleton and we drove straight to the vet to
visit Vino. She showed us his xray and I almost passed out again :-(
Poor Vino has to stay at the vet's until Monday afternoon or maybe even
Tuesday. Dennis is going in to visit him tomorrow while I'm at work.
They are going to make sure he's ok before he comes home and then he'll
be on this special s/d diet for a while and then on c/d or something.
She said it was kind of weird that he came down with this at age 8,
normally if they are going to have crystals, they come down with the
first case by age 2 or 3. We are thinking that maybe the stress of the
move and the month in quarantine might have had something to do with it.
Who knows.
Anyway, it was a pretty subdued homecoming for Dennis. Both of us just
don't feel right about not having our little buddy at home with us. I
think I feel that he will be ok but it was a close call if I had waited
any longer. But he seriously didn't seem bad to me until Thursday
night! I got him to the vet as soon as possible! I figured he wasn't
using the litterbox because he was feeling sick and not eating and
drinking. Makes sense to me. I guess I was just thinking along the
lines of him only having 1 thing wrong and not 2 seperate things.
Anyway, purrs for the poor bugger would be greatly appreciated. I have
to work tomorrow but Dennis is going in around noon to see him and speak
to the vet about his progress. I will update ASAP.
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old July 7th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

badwilson wrote:
[...]

Got *all* 12 of the kitties purring here, both for Vino and for you & Dennis
to get through the weekend without your precious Vino!

Old July 7th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

badwilson wrote:
Anyway, purrs for the poor bugger would be greatly appreciated. I have
to work tomorrow but Dennis is going in around noon to see him and speak
to the vet about his progress. I will update ASAP.

Lots of purrs from Xoxo who also suffered from struvite crystals a while
back. FWIW, it was a one time issue with Xoxo and he recovered
beautifully once we switched him from kibble to a mostly canned food
diet. No Rx diet either, just canned food as a primary source of food.
Hopefully Vino will also recover swiftly!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 7th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

badwilson wrote:
[...]

Poor Vino! What an awful coincidence for him. It sounds like you have a
good vet. Purrs that he's good as new very soon.

Sherry

Old July 7th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

badwilson wrote:
So the vet called and said that the xray showed that he's completely
blocked (struvite crystals) and his bladder is very enlarged

Poor poor Vino!!! The Fabulous Furballs will purr all the harder for
him

Lesley

Old July 7th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Karen wrote:
Oh my!! I hope he go there in time. Probably. Grant had his first
blockage around 6 or 7. I've know cats to get blocked at 12. Probably
extenuating circumstances. One thing that really helped Grant when he
got back was to be on just a smidge of ametriptyline for a couple of
days. Yes, it calms them but also, it has antiinflamatory properties
that helps the swelling of those delicate tissues from the catheter.
It really did help Grant. Purrs for Vino that he is just fine. (Put
LOTS of water around too.)

Yes, well Vino has water everywhere and he does drink a lot. I always
notice that he drinks from his various bowls several times a day. Plus
he really doesn't like dry food, he gets canned twice a day and only
snacks on dry for emergency rations. It's all very weird.
They are going to give him all sorts of meds to take once he comes home.
I've lost track. I'm sure he'll be well covered. I just feel so bad
for the poor little buddy. He so hates being away from home and my
heart just breaks thinking of him so sick and alone at the vets
overnight :-(

Old July 7th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

ah, yes. We know exactly how you feel. We will purr and pray that poor Vino
will start feeling better. Once the blockage is gone he will be better.
I've heard that gooshy food is better for cats who get blocked than the s/d
type stuff kibble.

Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old July 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie Wxill

"badwilson" wrote in message
So the vet called and said that the xray showed that he's completely
blocked (struvite crystals) and his bladder is very enlarged. I couldn't
feel worse. I guess I should have noticed sooner but then again it was so
weird how it all co-incided with the bite on his back, etc...
He seemed absolutely fine until he took the antibiotics and then started
puking. I guess it's just a case of 2 different things happening at the
same time.

.... We are thinking that maybe the stress of the
move and the month in quarantine might have had something to do with it.

.... Britta

Britta,

Don't second guess yourself. You did fine. Sometimes it takes a while to
put the pieces together. When you thought something was wrong, you took him
in to the vet. There's no way you could have expected two conditions at the
same time.

Now, the problem has been identified and Vino is getting the care he needs.

Like you, I suspect that the stress of the move and the quarantine and
dealing with a strange cat had a lot to do with it. But whatever the cause,
he should be on the mend now.

We are wishing him a rapid and complete recovery without further
complications. Hugs to you and Dennis, too.

Annie

Old July 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

"badwilson" wrote in message
Karen wrote:
[...]

Then most likely the main element was the stress of the move and the
quarantine. THey are so funny as they do not outwardly show stress, but may
be all the same. You will get him back on kilter. Glad to hear he eats wet
food.