Thoughtless people are everywhere

Old December 15th 13, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Thoughtless people are everywhere

jmcquown wrote:

But why do people just leave cats behind? How can they simply discard
them? Leave them in a house to be found? If they're too old to care for
them, I would think they'd call someone. Say hey, we can't do this
anymore. It puzzles me.

Jill

Of course, in today's economy, sometimes it's a matter of foreclosure,
and having nowhere to move, but I have to agree with you. Your
four-footed companions are just as much members of the family as your
kids (although some people abandon those, too). I have a friend who has
a small farm in a resort area of Northern Minnesota. Every autumn she
falls heir to abandoned pets in her woods for whom she must find homes.
Some of the summer people get kittens and puppies for their kids to
play with during the summer, then leave them to fend for themselves when
it's time to return to the city, again. It's probably harder for the
dogs, since cats have not been domesticated for nearly as long, but
however enthusiastically cats may chase prey, unless they have been
TAUGHT to hunt, they seldom have the skills to catch their own dinner.

~~~~~~~
We have the same problem here, but here the problem comes when university
students leave (sometimes only for a short time, such as spring break) and
abandon their pets. I did inspection for the Humane Society years ago, and
one of the worst cases I remember was when two college students left for the
summer and left their cats locked up in the rental house. No food, water or
litter. The place was a mess, and the poor cats were traumatized.
Fortunately, the neighbors reported the situation, and the sheriff let us
into the house. The cats were adopted, so that part of the story had a good
ending. I never did hear whether the two students were charged, although I
do know that I was not contacted for a witness report.

As you said, I consider my cats to be family...my furbabies. Years ago,
when I was still renting, I had difficulty finding the type of apartment I
wanted because many landlords would not permit cats. Well, there was *no
way* that I would ever give up my cat (only one cat at that time) just
because I would have liked a certain type of apartment.

MaryL