Please help with first vet visit...

Old December 7th 04, 01:26 AM
Me

Default Please help with first vet visit...

... took our 5 year old Siamese in today becuase of excessive sleep and
drooling.. Vet found a 'lump' on the inner gum - bottom side.... well
with a 3 year old girl crying in the background I said "do what you
have to do"... he said to come back in a couple hours. He sedated
him and cut out the growth and said he'd check for cancer. Being new
to vets I was surprised the bill was $320. Does this sound normal?
We love our cat but after google searching 'mouth growths' it seems
this cat's in trouble regardless of money spent to help him... thanks
a lot!

Kevin

Old December 7th 04, 01:48 AM
Mary

"Me" wrote in message

.. took our 5 year old Siamese in today becuase of excessive sleep and
drooling.. Vet found a 'lump' on the inner gum - bottom side.... well
with a 3 year old girl crying in the background I said "do what you
have to do"... he said to come back in a couple hours. He sedated
him and cut out the growth and said he'd check for cancer. Being new
to vets I was surprised the bill was $320. Does this sound normal?
We love our cat but after google searching 'mouth growths' it seems
this cat's in trouble regardless of money spent to help him... thanks
a lot!

Kevin, I added the group alt.med.veterinary to see if they could help you.
When do you get the results of the lab work?

Old December 7th 04, 03:46 AM
Me

that's the thing... the vet really didn't say much... seemed like a
very nice man but didn't speak much.. the receptionist told me we'd
get the results in about a week. After googling it seems a cancer
detection is a death sentence for the most part... my daughter is
going to be crushed

Kevin

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:48:36 GMT, "Mary"
wrote:

.. .

Old December 7th 04, 04:00 AM
Mary

"Me" wrote in message

that's the thing... the vet really didn't say much... seemed like a
very nice man but didn't speak much.. the receptionist told me we'd
get the results in about a week. After googling it seems a cancer
detection is a death sentence for the most part... my daughter is
going to be crushed

Kevin

Kevin, I would call him tomorrow bright and early and ask a lot
of questions. You just paid to have him perform surgery on your
cat. While it may take a while for the lab results to come back,
he ought to know something. What was the growth? A tumor,
a cyst, what? Did it look benign or malignant?
What does he know about such things? How often
has he seen this and what are the possible outcomes? You pay for
more than just procedures when you pay these guys, you pay
for information. Get on the phone tomorrow and get your due.

Old December 7th 04, 04:00 AM
Cathy Friedmann

I virtually always bring a list of questions w/ me to the vet's (or
doctor's), to save me from getting home & realizing that I forgot to broach
this or that issue, or ask this or that question. You could make a list of
what you're wondering for your phone call. Btw - the receptionist may take
a message, initially - your name/number, that you were just in with what pet
for "x", w/ the vet calling you back later. Sometimes they call in-between
exams/procedures, & other times they have a time set aside for calling back
clients.

Cathy

"Me" wrote in message

you're right, thank you...

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:00:02 GMT, "Mary"
wrote:

.. .

Old December 7th 04, 04:18 AM
Karen Chuplis

and as with *any* growth, you really cannot know if it is cancer until the
lab stuff comes back. I know mouth growths are scary, but you just cannot
know without the results so don't give up yet.

Old December 7th 04, 05:27 AM
Mary

"Me" wrote in message

you're right, thank you...

Let us know what happens and keep your chin up.
You're setting a great example for your little girl, who
now knows that when you love someone you take care
of them even if the care is costly. Other fathers might have
thrown this kitty away. Bless you.

Bunters visit JP Hobbs Cat anecdotes 4 December 15th 03 03:53 AM
Bonnie's first "real" vet visit Cheryl Cat health & behaviour 48 November 11th 03 11:10 PM