cat is a bully

Old June 10th 05, 11:44 PM
bigbadbarry

Catnipped wrote:
"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
ups.com...

If he lays his ears back and wants to take you on...give em some
more...across that ass..don't bruise him, or maim him, but pop him one.
Dammit, I get mad people won't spank children or cats.

Barry, please don't even joke about this subject unless you *clearly* make
note that you are only joking (and don't be surprised when some of us refuse
to even joke about it).

There is *WAY* too much violence in this world, aimed at both children and
animals, already. There is *NEVER* a reason to hit someone except to take
out your anger on someone who is weaker than you. If you are doing it to
stop someone from bullying others then you are only reinforcing the bully
behavior.

Any sentient being - any creature with nerve endings - can be taught correct
behavior by systematic and *consistent* rewards for good behavior or the
withholding or rewards in response to bad behavior. The very first step in
controlling another's behavior is controlling your own. Teach by example
and don't example bad behavior or violence.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 10th 05, 11:46 PM
Steve G

Joe Canuck wrote:
(...)

Ragdolls don't fight.

Ha ha ha.

Here's the thing: No human-designed breed of cat is so far from the
moggy norm that said breed of cat has lost any fundamental moggy
behaviours. But, you are free to believe the Ragdoll hype, of course.

Laying on their backs is one of their characteristic behaviors.

Any cat can - often will - lie on its back, in a non-defensive move.
Both of my (non-Ragdoll) cats do this all the time. However, in the
context of a fight, the position is primarily defensive.

Steve.

Old June 10th 05, 11:52 PM
Orchid

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:56:11 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Zena rolling over onto her back is a submissive position. She is
very afraid and as the original poster explicitly stated, it does
nothing to deter Brak.

Rolling onto the back is a submissive position for *dogs*.
Cats are not small dogs. They have an entirely different body
language, and to mistake one for the other is a very poor idea.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid
Old June 10th 05, 11:58 PM
Catnipped

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1118419788.e2cb08dadc6f9a21c0dfd4338ec9e56f@t eranews...

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

KellyH wrote:

Getting aggressive with the dominant cat is only going
to inflame the situation, not diffuse it.

One cannot be aggressive with ones self. I am the dominant cat.

Im in charge. I call the shots.

I know you realize that you, with one cat and only the experience of
having this one cat alone in your house, are talking to someone (several
people, in fact) who have a lot of experience with more than one cat
in a house. So I know you are just theorizing here. I think it is really
important that anyone who is reading your advice understands this.

You're talking about breaking bad with Ruprecht when he breaks
bad with you. You are not talking about having used this "method"
with two cats that are fighting. Right?

I have never understood how someone could think they will stop violent
behavior by demonstrating violent behavior. I was never spanked in my life
and I certainly didn't grow up to be a serial killer or a "*******"! And
neither did my children who are now practicing this child-rearing method on
their own children (who are all on the honor roll, participating in sports,
and have never been in any kind of trouble).

"Discipline" does *NOT* mean violent behavior - it means providing a
structured, controlled and safe environment for those we love. You can't
provide discipline if your own behavior and emotions are undisciplined.

Being in charge does not mean being a bully! First and foremost it means
being in charge of your own behavior and emotions and exampling to the young
(either human or animal) how to control their behavior even in anger.

Violence is *NEVER* a solution to problems, but it's the first resort of the
unintelligent or those who don't have other resources to bring to bear in
solving a problem. Again, those we are trying to teach *always* learn by
example and *never* by the words coming out of our mouths (that are
contradicted by the actions we perform).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 11th 05, 12:14 AM
bigbadbarry

Catnipped wrote:
I have never understood how someone could think they will stop violent
behavior by demonstrating violent behavior. I was never spanked in my life
and I certainly didn't grow up to be a serial killer or a "*******"! And
neither did my children who are now practicing this child-rearing method on
their own children (who are all on the honor roll, participating in sports,
and have never been in any kind of trouble).

This is a commendable, and rare oddity. Sounds highly whitewashed, but
I have to take your word for it.

"Discipline" does *NOT* mean violent behavior - it means providing a
structured, controlled and safe environment for those we love. You can't
provide discipline if your own behavior and emotions are undisciplined.

Why do you think correction means malice? Real correction stems from
love.
I don't wanna get into all this, but a child who never mis-behaves
well, they should not be spanked. A child who does, and is not spanked?
That is an unhappy child.

Being in charge does not mean being a bully! First and foremost it means
being in charge of your own behavior and emotions and exampling to the young
(either human or animal) how to control their behavior even in anger.

This is a stretch and an assumption on your part; for I fully believe
what I'm talking about; and I'm not out of control.

Violence is *NEVER* a solution to problems, but it's the first resort of the
unintelligent or those who don't have other resources to bring to bear in
solving a problem.

Would this include the way Phil has been acting in humping all my
posts?

Again, those we are trying to teach *always* learn by
example and *never* by the words coming out of our mouths (that are
contradicted by the actions we perform).

I know, you didn't read my posts, truth is, it is over your head
anyway, you wouldn't understand it, it's a whole other field of
practice. You probably count to 3 before even taking a moderate action
towards correction.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I love ya babe, but this is bull****

bull****!

Old June 11th 05, 12:17 AM
bigbadbarry

Catnipped wrote:

I am willing to bet that the households you volunteered to mention are
predominately ran by women. Tell me Im wrong. This is not a bad thing,
but with women and children; it's a little different when a female is
calling the shots. Quite different.

Old June 11th 05, 12:52 AM
KellyH

"Mary" wrote
No it isn't, unless she is a dog. A submissive cat crouches low to the
ground and cries.

Correct. There is a difference for a cat between laying around the house on
your back and assuming the on-your-back defensive position. I think in the
OP's case, Zena is probably assuming the defensive position prematurely and
this entices Brak to come attack her. Rolling on the back for a cat does
not mean "I give up".

--
-Kelly

Old June 11th 05, 12:55 AM
KellyH

"bigbadbarry" wrote
Why do you think correction means malice? Real correction stems from
love.

Correction does not equal violence. There are plenty of ways to discipline
and correct a child or animal that do not involve hitting.

I don't wanna get into all this, but a child who never mis-behaves
well, they should not be spanked. A child who does, and is not spanked?
That is an unhappy child.

You know what? I was spanked, and it didn't teach me a damn thing except to
be afraid of my father. Sure, I wouldn't do whatever I was doing wrong
again, but not because "oh, now I know that's wrong" but because I didn't
want to get hit again. I am NOT going to do the same thing to my children.

I'm done with you Barry. You have really shown your true colors in this
thread.
Mary, do you really want to defend this POS?

--
-Kelly

Old June 11th 05, 01:05 AM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote
No it isn't, unless she is a dog. A submissive cat crouches low to the
ground and cries.

Correct. There is a difference for a cat between laying around the house

on
your back and assuming the on-your-back defensive position.

I can picture both clearly. My Buddha does what I call "roadkill cat"
every night after dinner on the kitchen rug. She lies on her back showing
her white bikini to the world, with her head upside down and her little
white paws--all four--akimbo. After a few minutes she may begin to
lick a front paw, then freeze--for another few minutes. Passing her later,
I may see her doing a variation on this that involves her head and front
paws pointing left or right, like "he went thataway."

I think in the
OP's case, Zena is probably assuming the defensive position prematurely

and
this entices Brak to come attack her. Rolling on the back for a cat does
not mean "I give up".

I give up is what Cheeks does when John chases her up on the bed every
night. It is a game they play, but it is pure submission on her part. Even
as
she runs down the hall and across the bedroom, she is running in a "low-to
-the-ground" position, and she kind of squirts up on the bed, still
crouching
low, crying the whole time like "Pleeeeeease don't killllll me!" Once on the
bed she gets petted and rolls all around and does elevator butt.

The chase sounds terrible, but she actually loves it. For example, now
she is usually in a different part of the house when he comes up to bed.
So she hears him go to the bedroom door, and comes running from
wherever she might be, cringing and crying *into* the bedroom. LOL!
She looks forward to this little ritual love fest every night. I can tell
because if he doesn't do it, she keeps looking for him.

Old June 11th 05, 01:06 AM
bigbadbarry

KellyH wrote:
I'm done with you Barry. You have really shown your true colors in this
thread.
Mary, do you really want to defend this POS?

--
-Kelly

No-one suggested you did; excuse me for challenging your belief system.

You may have had an abusive father.

You have not heard me suggest one ounce of abuse, but it's easier for
your little mind to just throw it all, rather than consider any of it.

Later

Cat bully Teddy Cat health & behaviour 6 January 25th 04 09:36 PM
What To Do With My Cat? Luvskats00 Cat rescue 7 January 1st 04 06:40 PM
neighbour's cat is a bully annalee Cat health & behaviour 18 September 18th 03 05:58 PM