Dead Mouse in the cat food bin (question).

Old October 24th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

Default Dead Mouse in the cat food bin (question).

I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the cat
food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl today, there
was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is FULL. I scooped the
mouse (of course) and all the food around it about 2 inches in diameter and
underneath the mouse. Good enough?? Or do I throw out the whole bin of
food? (Which is about $40 worth of expensive kibble)!!

Tia!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old October 24th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in
:

I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the
cat food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl
today, there was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is
FULL. I scooped the mouse (of course) and all the food around it
about 2 inches in diameter and underneath the mouse. Good enough??
Or do I throw out the whole bin of food? (Which is about $40 worth of
expensive kibble)!!

Tia!

Were there maggots on the mouse? Can you tell (by smell) if he's been dead
for a few hours or days. If dead for days & maggots, I wouldn't take a
chance, but that's just me.

Bobble
Old October 24th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the cat
food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl today, there
was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is FULL. I scooped the
mouse (of course) and all the food around it about 2 inches in diameter
and underneath the mouse. Good enough?? Or do I throw out the whole bin
of food? (Which is about $40 worth of expensive kibble)!!

Tia!

I'm just thinking about the scene if you'd poured out that dead mouse in
front of your cats. Wow, there's a prize inside! Or as the LOLcats would
put it, "Derez a fud in mai fud."

--
Theresa and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Stinky Forever: http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old October 24th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the
cat food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl today,
there was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is FULL. I
scooped the mouse (of course) and all the food around it about 2 inches
in diameter and underneath the mouse. Good enough?? Or do I throw out
the whole bin of food? (Which is about $40 worth of expensive kibble)!!

Tia!

I'm just thinking about the scene if you'd poured out that dead mouse in
front of your cats. Wow, there's a prize inside! Or as the LOLcats would
put it, "Derez a fud in mai fud."

LOL! If the mouse seemed freshly dead I'd go along with scooping the first
two inches out, but it depends what feels comfortable i.e. how high your
hygiene threshold is. It would be a bit obsessive to throw out the whole
lot, IMHO of course. After all cats all over the world eat mice all the
time.

Tweed

Old October 24th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message

I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the cat
food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl today, there
was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is FULL. I scooped the
mouse (of course) and all the food around it about 2 inches in diameter
and underneath the mouse. Good enough?? Or do I throw out the whole bin
of food? (Which is about $40 worth of expensive kibble)!!

I'm just thinking about the scene if you'd poured out that dead mouse in
front of your cats. Wow, there's a prize inside! Or as the LOLcats would
put it, "Derez a fud in mai fud."

LOL, my thought exactly!! I also wondered how the mouse knew where it
belonged (ie, with the other cat food)?

Cats eat mice, so unless it's fairly decomposed (and therefore full of
bacteria), I don't see why it would do anything bad to the food. How long
were you away?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old October 25th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the
cat food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl today,
there was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is FULL. I
scooped the mouse (of course) and all the food around it about 2 inches
in diameter and underneath the mouse. Good enough?? Or do I throw out
the whole bin of food? (Which is about $40 worth of expensive kibble)!!

Tia!

I'm just thinking about the scene if you'd poured out that dead mouse in
front of your cats. Wow, there's a prize inside! Or as the LOLcats would
put it, "Derez a fud in mai fud."

OMG, this made me do a liquid out the nose laugh!! (Diet orange soda burns
that way)!!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old October 25th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

[...]

I was away a little over 2 weeks. We also are having quite cold weather, so
the mouse was rigid and frigid!! And no maggots. If there were, I would
have definitely pitched the entire bin. After I removed the critter, I
sniffed/smelled and practically nibbled on the kibble to make sure it was
okay. Everyone is eating from the bowl, so all is well!! Thanks to all!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

Old October 25th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:
I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the
cat food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl today,
there was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is FULL. I
scooped the mouse (of course) and all the food around it about 2 inches
in diameter and underneath the mouse. Good enough?? Or do I throw out
the whole bin of food? (Which is about $40 worth of expensive kibble)!!

Huh? You lost me! Why not just scoop the mouse out with the kibble,
and drop it into whoever's bowl is first inline? (Whichever cat is the
lucky recipient will probably thank you!)

Tia!

Old October 25th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

bobblespin wrote:
"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in
:

I've been on vacation and I have a new pet sitter. He didn't seal the
cat food bin in the garage, and when I went to fill the cat bowl
today, there was a dead mouse in it laying on the top. The bin is
FULL. I scooped the mouse (of course) and all the food around it
about 2 inches in diameter and underneath the mouse. Good enough??
Or do I throw out the whole bin of food? (Which is about $40 worth of
expensive kibble)!!

Tia!

Were there maggots on the mouse? Can you tell (by smell) if he's been dead
for a few hours or days. If dead for days & maggots, I wouldn't take a
chance, but that's just me.

I was assuming a freshly dead mouse in my first response. If it's
maggoty, I'd just remove the mouse and any visible maggots, and proceed
as normal with the rest of the kibble. The cats aren't likely to care,
and so what of they ingest a maggot or two? (They eat insects all the
time!)
Old October 25th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ wrote:

I was away a little over 2 weeks. We also are having quite cold weather, so
the mouse was rigid and frigid!! And no maggots. If there were, I would
have definitely pitched the entire bin. After I removed the critter, I
sniffed/smelled and practically nibbled on the kibble to make sure it was
okay. Everyone is eating from the bowl, so all is well!! Thanks to all!

I think the cold weather saved you. Or rather, saved the food bin.
Probably the main reason the mouse didn't decompose sooner.

--
Joyce ^..^