Flutd food problems

Old July 16th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jo

Default Flutd food problems

My 11 y/o cat is prone to calcium oxlates stones. He had been eating
Hill's x/d dry when he developed a food allergy. He was switched to
Hill's k/d dry but is allergic to that too (same main ingredients -
rice, corn, and chicken). The vet wants to put him on Hill's z/d dry
or (I think) on Hill's d/d Duck & Green pea dry. After he gets settled
with his food, then I can start trying to get him to eat canned food.
I realize now that he really needs to eat that instead of just dry.

Is the z/d and/or d/d ok for a cat prone to calcium oxalates? I
noticed that the target pH for these foods is 6.2 to 6.4, whereas the
x/d and k/d had a target pH of 6.6 to 6.8. It seems like the pH would
make a difference.

The Hill's x/d and k/d have a lot of corn, rice, and chicken. The z/d
has hydrolyzed chicken but no corn or rice. The d/d doesn't have any
corn, rice, or chicken. I think just about all the other food choices/
brands have corn, rice, and chicken or have reduced protein.

Does anyone have any advice or food recommendations?

The vet and I want to find a dry food that works before trying to get
the cat to eat canned food. We want to determine what is causing the
allergy and switching to canned right now will just complicate
matters.

Thanks,
Jo
Old July 17th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jo" wrote in message
My 11 y/o cat is prone to calcium oxlates stones. He had been eating
Hill's x/d dry when he developed a food allergy. He was switched to
Hill's k/d dry but is allergic to that too (same main ingredients -
rice, corn, and chicken).

How stupid is that? Stop buying cat food at your vet, and get your cat on
quality canned food, fed 12 hours apart.

Old July 17th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jo

On Jul 16, 10:51*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"Jo" wrote in message

My 11 y/o cat is prone to calcium oxlates stones. He had been eating
Hill's x/d dry when he developed a food allergy. He was switched to
Hill's k/d dry but is allergic to that too (same main ingredients -
rice, corn, and chicken).

How stupid is that? Stop buying cat food at your vet, and get your cat on
quality canned food, fed 12 hours apart.

You're right that he should eat canned food, but this silly cat
doesn't like canned food. He never did. Weaning him was a pain in the
rear. I can't force him to eat what he doesn't like and believe me
when I tell you he would rather starve than eat something he doesn't
like. The vet wants to transition him slowly anyway. I agree with the
decision. It's too complicated to explain it all here but it's the
right decision for this particular cat. However, he is getting sub-q
fluids at home for now.

I thought cats prone to stones and crystals were supposed to eat
several small meals throughout the day.
Old July 17th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S

You're right that he should eat canned food, but this silly cat
doesn't like canned food. He never did. Weaning him was a pain in the
rear.

I've had lots of experience with vets and prescription foods. I'm
sorry, but your vet isn't thinking in your cat's best interests. He
(she) is thinking of the profits from selling you dry food.

Yes, weaning a dry-food addict is a 'pain in the rear.' I've been
through it. However, the health benefits far outweigh the frustration
you'll have for a couple of weeks. What your cat needs is a diet with
LOTS of moisture. No dry food, even if you think he's drinking a lot,
can offer that. It will also be difficult to find a dry food without
grains.

Another option is a raw diet. Nature's Variety has a good grain free
diet (I feed this along with grain-free canned food), and there are
many other brands out now too.

FWIW, our oldest cat had cyrstal problems with he was 3 and needed
surgery (he was fed dry food). Since he's been on a wet diet, not one
recurrance of urinary problems/crystals, and he's now 11.
Old July 20th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jweeks

On Jul 16, 6:40*pm, Jo wrote:
[...]

Hi Jo...

honestly, I've found Hill's to be junk. Go to
GreatLife4Pets.com...There you will find quality food formulated by a
Master Herbalist. My cat and dogs have all been through allergies, etc
and this will take care of your kitty. There is a food that is Grain-
Free....note this will be about 20.00 or so plus shipping...you might
be able to find local pet stores that might carry it..But I've been
through it all and this food is HIGHLY recommended..You can also talk
to this Herbalist- Elliott Harvey specifically about your cat's
needs...He's fantastic. Perhaps your vet can start carrying the
food...