Raw chicken?

Old January 17th 04, 04:53 AM
Dennis Carr

Default Raw chicken?

I have it on fairly good authority that I can feed my bengals raw ground
beef, and have done so to their delight with no ill effects - in fact,
I've heard it's encouraged in particular with bengals. (Orchid? A bit of
insight?)

But I got to thinking as I put some chicken in a plastic container tonight
- what of raw chicken? Is this a good thing or a bad thing to feed to cats?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old January 17th 04, 05:30 AM
Orchid

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:53:57 -0800, Dennis Carr
wrote:

I have it on fairly good authority that I can feed my bengals raw ground
beef, and have done so to their delight with no ill effects - in fact,
I've heard it's encouraged in particular with bengals. (Orchid? A bit of
insight?)

Yep. Though Bengals can live just fine on 'regular' cat
food, they really thrive and shine when given some raw as a supplement
(or, for the brave of heart, a homemade diet). Though I would suggest
switching over to raw solid beef, not ground. Pre-ground beef often
contains a *lot* of bacteria. If you give them the solid meat in
largish chunks, they'll have to chew them apart, which gives you the
bonus of a teeth cleaning too.

But I got to thinking as I put some chicken in a plastic container tonight
- what of raw chicken? Is this a good thing or a bad thing to feed to cats?

Human-grade, properly handled chicken is okay. My boys get
(and love) chicken and turkey necks. But you don't have to stop with
just chicken and beef. Cats (not just Bengals!) love different kinds
of meat. Mine have gotten lamb, rabbit, beef, chicken, turkey, bison,
sushi-grade raw tuna (only small amounts very occasionally), and
salmon.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old January 17th 04, 07:23 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:30:14 -0500, Orchid wrote:

...Though I would suggest
switching over to raw solid beef, not ground. Pre-ground beef often
contains a *lot* of bacteria. If you give them the solid meat in
largish chunks, they'll have to chew them apart, which gives you the
bonus of a teeth cleaning too.

The down side is the fact that solid beef is kinda pricey, but then they
have been known to steal^H^H^H^H^Henjoy bits of filet mignon from our
plates. Must keep this in mind. Sankyu. =^^=