Is there a better alternative to litter boxes?

Old February 9th 05, 11:19 PM
Mary

"jamie" wrote in message
Mary wrote:

wrote:
Ours have to be the 2 piece box where the bottom and top portions latch
on together. Without the cover, I always discover pee outside the box.

I was thinking of getting one that is deep enough so her pee ends in
the box even when she does her thing standing up.

Ahhh, I see. There have been great discussions here about litter boxes,
and I believe others with this problem have used large storage
containers bought from Walmart or Lowes or one of those stores.

LeMieux likes to back up to the end or corner, and being very
long-legged, tended to pee over the edge of a litterbox. Gideon has
mild hip dysplasia, couldn't squat very easily and occasionally pooped
over the edge. For many years, I kept the litterbox inside a plastic
storage box to catch his urine, but it was always difficult to clean up
the urine, which would run under the litterbox inside the storage box.

Using a storage box alone is sort of okay, but they are not
heavy plastic like litterboxes, and tend to start cracking
and need to be replaced after a while.

I switched to a mortar-mixing tray from Home Depot last year, when
Gideon (17) seemed to be finding it a little difficult climbing
over the edge of the storage box.

The mortar-mixing tray is is 26" x 19" and 6" deep, and very sturdy
plastic like a litterbox. I think it cost about five dollars. My two
cats usually go at opposite ends of it. Although it's not very tall,
the sides slope outward enough that they can back their feet up to
the end or corner, and still have urine and feces land inside the box.

--

Well do you love your kitties or what?! Excellent ideas, thanks.

Litter Boxes JBHajos Cat anecdotes 36 July 13th 04 02:09 PM
New litter box or new toy?(long) jemifur Cat anecdotes 9 June 23rd 04 04:37 AM
Litter boxes that you don't have to manually Scoop? Mr B Cat health & behaviour 15 September 15th 03 04:09 PM
Placement/Movement of the Litter Boxes PattyC Cat health & behaviour 6 September 11th 03 01:41 AM
Automatic litter boxes Joe Canuck Cat health & behaviour 3 July 5th 03 03:09 AM