food...

Old November 28th 03, 01:33 AM
PawsForThought

From: Joe Canuck

And if you haven't figured it out already, Science Diet does the same

thing.
So what's your point?

Not quite, at least not in my own experience.

I've dealt with Nutro, Science Diet and Iams/Eukanuba reps. They were
all pleasant people to talk with and all seemed genuinely enthusiastic
about their products. Not once did I hear any of them bash another
companies product, instead they each promoted their own.

It makes more sense to promote and talk about their own products that it
does to spend the time bashing other companies products.

I didn't say anything about bashing another company. I replied to a post where
the person said Nutro reps will tell you anything to get you to buy their food.
I said Science Diet does the same thing, which IME they do. I didn't say they
bash another company. I said they will tell you anything to sell their product
that they think you want to hear to buy their food.
________
Old November 28th 03, 03:45 AM
Joe Canuck

From: Joe Canuck

[...]

But, "...tell you anything..." can include bad-mouthing other companies
products if that is what it takes to sell the food.

With two exceptions, no representative of any pet food company has ever
tried to hard sell me their products or "...tell me anything..." to get
me to purchase their products.

If I heard something from a rep that I thought wasn't quite right, I
would be the first one to follow up with the company for clarification.

The companies public reputation is at stake in these situations since
the rep is essentially acting as a spokesperson for the company. Just as
a companies reputation is at stake based on what is said at its website.

BTW, one exception was an overly exuberant store owner who wanted to
sell me one of every food item in her store. Fortunately I escaped with
my wallet intact and only 1 bag of California Natural that I was feeding
my cat at the time.

The other exception was a clerk in a store wanting to sell me a bag of
Science Diet that was past the expiry date, insisting that it was still
good. I had two problems with this... the first being the bag was not
very fresh and the other being that the bag, which was looking very long
on the tooth, was sitting on the floor by the door when I entered the
store. Perhaps it had been used as a door stop. I suggested they keep
using it as a door stop. :-)

I think I have said this before but we all need to pick products,
including food, that suits our own needs and that we are comfortable
with. I'm willing to discuss the merits or downside of foods anytime in
a civil manner. My cat who is 3 years old has been on no less that 8
different food brands. If nothing else she will have had a variety and
hopefully won't be a fussy eater.

She is now on Science Diet and doing rather well on it. One indication
is the stool volume has decreased dramatically which means most of the
food is being digested.

Now I know you feed raw. I've asked this question before and no one has
stepped up to the plate to provide an answer so I will ask you directly:

How do you ensure your cats get all the nutrients in the minimum amounts
as suggested by the AAFCO standards? How do you ensure a delicate and
important issue like the Calcium:Phosphorus ratio is correct or at least
somewhat in the appropriate area for each batch you prepare?

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old November 28th 03, 03:45 AM
Joe Canuck

Old November 28th 03, 01:36 PM
PawsForThought

From: Joe Canuck

From: Joe Canuck

[...]

Yes, I suppose that's true.

With two exceptions, no representative of any pet food company has ever
tried to hard sell me their products or "...tell me anything..." to get
me to purchase their products.

If I heard something from a rep that I thought wasn't quite right, I
would be the first one to follow up with the company for clarification.

The companies public reputation is at stake in these situations since
the rep is essentially acting as a spokesperson for the company. Just as
a companies reputation is at stake based on what is said at its website.

I've been in a store, I think it was a Petco, but can't remember for sure.
Anyway, there was a rep from a petfood company who really was trying to sell me
their food was the best. When I would bring up certain points, he told me
things I knew weren't true.

BTW, one exception was an overly exuberant store owner who wanted to
sell me one of every food item in her store. Fortunately I escaped with
my wallet intact and only 1 bag of California Natural that I was feeding
my cat at the time.

LOL, good for you

The other exception was a clerk in a store wanting to sell me a bag of
Science Diet that was past the expiry date, insisting that it was still
good. I had two problems with this... the first being the bag was not
very fresh and the other being that the bag, which was looking very long
on the tooth, was sitting on the floor by the door when I entered the
store. Perhaps it had been used as a door stop. I suggested they keep
using it as a door stop. :-)

I hope they didn't sell it to anyone else. Food past its date can surely make
a cat sick.

I think I have said this before but we all need to pick products,
including food, that suits our own needs and that we are comfortable
with. I'm willing to discuss the merits or downside of foods anytime in
a civil manner. My cat who is 3 years old has been on no less that 8
different food brands. If nothing else she will have had a variety and
hopefully won't be a fussy eater.

She is now on Science Diet and doing rather well on it. One indication
is the stool volume has decreased dramatically which means most of the
food is being digested.

I'm glad you found a food that works for your cat. I know it's not always easy
to do. I think it is a good idea to feed a variety of food, especially in case
the food or flavor stops being available. Unfortunately my experience with SD
was a lot different.

Now I know you feed raw. I've asked this question before and no one has
stepped up to the plate to provide an answer so I will ask you directly:

How do you ensure your cats get all the nutrients in the minimum amounts
as suggested by the AAFCO standards? How do you ensure a delicate and
important issue like the Calcium:Phosphorus ratio is correct or at least
somewhat in the appropriate area for each batch you prepare?

I originally got the diet I feed my cats from my vet, who did have the diet
analyzed. I also feed another variation of the diet which has been fed to cats
for almost 30 years, with wonderful effects. Since feeding a raw diet, I have
had my cats' checked out every 6 months with a full blood panel. I'd never fed
a homemade diet before and wanted to make sure all was well. Their blood test
results have always come back with all numbers well within range. I always
tell people who are interested in a homemade raw diet to do their research
well. It's more involved than just throwing down a piece of meat. But it's
not rocket science either.

Lauren
--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old November 28th 03, 01:36 PM
PawsForThought

From: Joe Canuck

Old November 28th 03, 02:13 PM
Joe Canuck

From: Joe Canuck

From: Joe Canuck

[...]

Unfortunately SD is the best of what I have been able to find in my area
so far... short of mail ordering. There is Walthams, but I have little
experience with that food. From there the selection here slides downhill
to basically the grocery store type brands.

Mail ordering just doesn't make sense here considering it costs $15.00
to ship a $20.00 bag of food. Yikes!

I was quite concerned for a while about the situation, particulary given
my cats reaction to the SD Adult Turkey wet which just didn't go down
well at the time.

She is on the SD dry formula now and all is well. I may try the wet
again, but I am very apprehensive about that given the results the last
time. I really don't want to see her go through that grief again. I just
knew something uncomfortable was going on inside her... I had that
confirmed when she ran to the litter box and basically "exploded" a few
times. Argh!

She has been on kibble since weaning off mother's milk, so perhaps she
may just be one of those kibble only cats. She loves the canned and I
know over the long run it is likely better, but both she and I hate what
happens as a result of it.

[...]

Okay, thank you for that. I suppose that is the one best way to ensure
everything is going well, check the end results.

Old November 28th 03, 02:13 PM
Joe Canuck

From: Joe Canuck