Cat Napper?

Old March 16th 05, 11:21 PM
Jean B.

---MIKE--- wrote:

Hi Jean,

Yes, Cat Napper is the one you described. I have two but I didn't
trust the velcro so I screwed them to the window sill. It's also a good
idea to attach the legs as far out as possible and find a way to make
them reach the wall. I had one where the legs were not attached way out
and the plastic broke from the force of Tiger jumping up to the seat. I
used some pieces of plumbing tubing to extend the legs.

How is Mingy doing?

---MIKE---

First, Mingy is doing well so far. Eating more wet food (and
hence less kibbles), which is good. It seemed to take a long time
for him to produce what I considered to be normal-looking pees
(big ones, and more the shape that I was used to seeing solified
in his litter). Also, he isn't licking as obviously as he was. I
figured that was due to irritation from the catheter and from the
blockage/plug in the first place.

Back to the cat napper. I don't want to use screws, so it looks
like the best thing would be to get a structure for that area.
Maybe I will first try a cat napper where there would just be a
1-foor fall it is came loose.

--
Jean B.
Old March 16th 05, 11:29 PM
Jean B.

Rona Y. wrote:

How's is Mingy doing? He seems to be pretty much okay, physically.

Any reoccurances?
Not yet, but I am always thinking about the possibility. Praying
every day I see him in the potty for a reasonable amount of time
and what he produces seems normal (for him). Last night he scared
me, because he was in the potty, left and then came back shortly
thereafter. I think, though, that he peed and then came back to poop.

Is he more comfortable now, or
still a little jumpy?

He is better in that regard. One interesting thing happened
though. My daughter's dad was here, and Mingy hissed at him
FIFTEEN times but would not move! He doesn't hiss (except at the
vet's), and he is usually more likely to run and hide. (It took
him about three years to be out when her dad is here--and even
then, it is only a sometimes thing.)

BTW, I don't know if I told you, but I signed on for a third year, so I'll
be here till 2007 if you're still thinking of bringing your daughter to
Japan! Still have lots of room!

Thanks! That gives us some time. Leah is starting Mandarin next
year. She wants to take Japanese, but the high school doesn't
offer that. It should help with the kanji and the understanding,
if not the pronunciation though.

We shall see if we ever get anywhere. It is appropriate for me to
turn this back to the topic of cats.... One of my biggest worries
about traveling is Ming. Yes, I could get someone to change his
food and water and clean his litter box, but Mingy would be
cringing in fear. He would have no loving if I was not here.
That really bothers me.................... I think he would be
VERY unhappy.

--
Jean B.
Old March 19th 05, 12:39 AM
Jean B.

Karen wrote:

Do you have a Petco nearby? They have a lot of nice green duck furniture
which is what most of my cat furniture is. Some nice window level perches.

Yes, I do. And a Pet Smart. I'll look around tomorrow. I need
something that's 2-plus feet tall, and such things are easy enough
to find.

--
Jean B.
Old March 19th 05, 12:40 AM
Jean B.

Karen wrote:

Well, it really sticks so it isn't that easy to remove. I just dusted it off
really well first.

I think if I do this, I'll try it at a window where there would
only be a very slight fall if it lets loose. I sure don't want
anything to topple down with a cat on it!

--
Jean B.
Old March 21st 05, 12:40 PM
Rona Y.

Jean B. wrote:

We shall see if we ever get anywhere. It is appropriate for me to
turn this back to the topic of cats.... One of my biggest worries
about traveling is Ming. Yes, I could get someone to change his
food and water and clean his litter box, but Mingy would be
cringing in fear. He would have no loving if I was not here.
That really bothers me.................... I think he would be
VERY unhappy.

I must admit, were Kitty not so relaxed about going to the sitters, or
living with my mother, I do not think I could have made the trip back to
Japan. I had hoped to bring her with me, but my landlords do not allow pets
at all (not even a hamster!).

Do you remember Trillium? I remember one of the reasons she never made long
overseas trips was because of her cat (elderly, diabetic). She made a trip
to Thailand recently, though, and that had me a little worried about her
cat. I haven't had the heart to ask about her, though... :-(.

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Old March 24th 05, 12:44 AM
Jean B.

Rona Y. wrote:

Jean B. wrote:

[...]

What is the story on bringing a cat to Japan, Rona. Would it have
to be quarantined? (Mingy also could never go through that!)

Yes, I do remember Trillium--or her name, anyway....

--
Jean B.
Old March 24th 05, 06:41 AM
Rona Y.

Jean B. wrote:

What is the story on bringing a cat to Japan, Rona. Would it have
to be quarantined? (Mingy also could never go through that!)

At the time I came, cats required a rabies vaccination (within a certain
period of time before arrival) and a minimum two week quarantine. They also
had to be shipped cargo--you could not bring them on the plane.

The regulations are changing (have changed?), though, and if you have met
certain conditions, then the quarantine can be completed in less than 12
hours. That would be so much better! I'm not sure if you can bring cats on
a plane, though, or if they still have to be kept in cargo.

If you're interested, I have still have the link to the Animal Quarantine
Service website (in English!) so you can read all about it. It's pretty
thorough and should answer any questions you might have (except maybe the
bringing the cats on a plane, thing).

Newsweek, November 22, 2004