Another Meowing Post

Old May 23rd 05, 12:40 PM

Default Another Meowing Post

Hi all,

I know this is a common question - but I haven't really seen an answer
that I think will work. My kitty is 11 months old (we have had him for
3 months) he has adapted really well to us. Recently he has started
meowing as soon as the sun comes up. He has full rein of the house and
just walks from room to room meowing. I got up this morning with him
at about 4:30 am - hoping he just wanted attention and would like my
husband at least get some sleep. But this did not seem to change
anything. My husband and I talked about sending him to the basement
when he gets like this, but he won't even walk down the stairs and he
since he was an abused kitten I don't want to put him somewhere that
will make him afraid. He has lots of toys, although the balls tend to
end up under the furniture and he has water all night. I also play
with him at night with his wand toy until he loses interest. This
meowing continues even after I feed him in the morning. He doesn't
stop until we are both up and then he goes into his little hiding spot
to sleep. We are at our wits end - I don't want to give him away, but I
don't know what else to do.

Danielle

Old May 23rd 05, 12:58 PM
Niel Humphreys

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Would letting him sleep on the bed or in a cat bed in the bedroom with you
be out of the question?
--

Niel H
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Snowdon-Computers

Old May 23rd 05, 01:27 PM
bigbadbarry

We are at our wits end - I don't want to give him away, but I
don't know what else to do.

Danielle

Is there a way to conceal the fact that the sun has come up? Covering a
window?

This is very cute what he is doing...haha, get up get up get up get up...the
sun is up people we're burning daylight, headem up movem out! get up get up
get up. Your kitten must have a little rooster in him.

Old May 23rd 05, 02:34 PM

Niel Humphreys wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Would letting him sleep on the bed or in a cat bed in the bedroom

with you
be out of the question?
--

Niel H
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Snowdon-Computers

Hi Niel,

He actually already sleeps next to me in the bed. Only until daylight
though - then the "fun" begins.

Old May 23rd 05, 02:35 PM

The window in our room is really dark - I think he looks into the
hallway and sees the light. There is really no way to block out the
whole house. As far as cute -I think you can only say that looking
from the outside..lol :O)

Old May 23rd 05, 03:43 PM
kaeli

In article . com,
enlightened us with...
Hi all,

I know this is a common question - but I haven't really seen an answer
that I think will work. My kitty is 11 months old (we have had him for
3 months) he has adapted really well to us. Recently

Key word -- recently.
Has anything changed since he started this? And remember, by "anything", it
could be something really small you aren't thinking of. He's a cat. He
notices things you won't, for example, a new school bus route down the road
or some such. A new smell, such as a change in fabric softener. A change in
routine, such as you sleeping in when you didn't used to. New neighborhood
noises, such as lawn mowers. Little things that may mean nothing to you.

Is he neutered? I'd assume so, but you know what assume does...

he has started
meowing as soon as the sun comes up. He has full rein of the house and
just walks from room to room meowing. I got up this morning with him

Don't do that. You're rewarding him. He meowed. You got up. Mission
accomplished.

Does he have access to the bedroom?
If not, try that. He may just want to be by you.
If he has access, when he cries, shut the door (with him on the other side of
it) and let him meow all he likes while you sleep. He will learn that crying
doesn't get you up and gets him locked out. That's no fun.

at about 4:30 am - hoping he just wanted attention and would like my
husband at least get some sleep. But this did not seem to change
anything. My husband and I talked about sending him to the basement
when he gets like this, but he won't even walk down the stairs and he
since he was an abused kitten I don't want to put him somewhere that
will make him afraid.

Is he afraid of the basement?

Does he have a kitty companion to play with? Would he like one? Can you
support another cat?
I'm a big fan of having at least two cats in the home. They entertain each
other.

~kaeli~
She was engaged to a boyfriend with a wooden leg but broke
it off.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old May 23rd 05, 04:18 PM
bigbadbarry

The window in our room is really dark - I think he looks into the
hallway and sees the light. There is really no way to block out the
whole house. As far as cute -I think you can only say that looking
from the outside..lol :O)

What are you doing sleeping at 4:30 in the morning, the world is passing you
by.
Just kidding.

Noooo, my cat did the same for a long time, now he is awake before me, but
setting at the foot of the bed waiting for me to get up. He sneaks around
when I'm asleep.

Well, all these nice books and web-sites and kind kind people, we say one
thing, but Im goin tell you the truth...what broke Ruprecht, I do not
reccommend this..

---to borrow a few line here---
FOR the most wild, yet most homely narrative which I am about to pen, I
neither expect nor solicit belief. Mad indeed would I be to expect it, in a
case where my very senses reject their own evidence. Yet, mad am I not --and
very surely do I not dream. ...Poe...

in spite of my many many many pleadings and negotiatings with my cat...to
stop waking me up at 3 and 4 in the morning (this is the best sleep) I had
gone for weeks with little to no real sleep to speak of...In places where
camels are still used to transport things...this is true...they will load
that camel until they see a tear come to his eye, then they know that is
enough. This is the practice. I tell you the truth, it had come to tears for
lack of sleep. I was a sight, my nerves and my senses were jangled.

He woke me up one morning...I come out the bed like I was posessed and I
went through the whole house screaming and yelling like a mad man...popping
holes in my walls with a golf club.cussing and swearing every breath, I was
saying things you wouldn't hear in a cat fight..It was like a chemical
thing, I didn't plan it, but it happened. I went slam off, I never saw the
cat, I don't know where he had hid himself...but I was a stark
lunatic...FURIOUS ANGER...That morning was the straw that broke the camels
back, I had no more patience for him, NONE. I didn't care, and I tell
ya...it was better for me to have to patch a few holes rather than touch my
Ruprecht.

He never did it again.

Barry

.... Women and cats are both black at night. - Bosnia ...

Old May 23rd 05, 05:03 PM
Mary

wrote in message
[...]

Maybe he needs a companion! Another cat about his age, maybe a
female? Speaking as someone who has had one, then two cats,
it is not much more trouble to have two, and they are great together
when you are out or occupied and cannot play with them. The other
thing I thought of is, has he had a thorough vet check with emphasis
on "doctor he howls a lot, what might be wrong?" He might be
trying to tell you something.

Old May 23rd 05, 05:04 PM
Mary

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
wrote in message
[...]

Of course! I missed this. He just wants to be with his people!