Another Meowing Post

Old May 23rd 05, 05:40 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
SNIP
He woke me up one morning...I come out the bed like I was posessed
and I went through the whole house screaming and yelling like a mad
man...popping holes in my walls with a golf club.cussing and swearing
every breath, I was saying things you wouldn't hear in a cat
fight!! It was like a chemical thing, I didn't plan it, but it happened.
I went slam off, I never saw the cat, I don't know where he
had hid himself...but I was a stark lunatic...FURIOUS ANGER...That
morning was the straw that broke the camels back, I had no more
patience for him, NONE. I didn't care, and I tell ya...it was better
for me to have to patch a few holes rather than touch my Ruprecht.

He never did it again.

Barry

And there you have it, ladies. This is an exemplary example of why foster
fathers have MUCH less behavior problems with foster children than do foster
mothers.

Old May 23rd 05, 06:00 PM

HI Kaeli,

Yes he has access to the bedroom - he actually sleeps with us and
normally at around 4:00 am tries to get me up to play but will just go
play on his own when I ignore him until about 6:00 am when the alarm
clock goes off. I might try the door thing, but my husband hates
sleeping with the door shut. I think we might need to give that a try.
He is neutered which is one of the confusing things because my
husbands family cats stopped the crazy meowing for nothing once that
was taken care of. I guess to each cat thier own. The crazy thing is
that he had no interest in playing or attention or food (although he
did eat) at 4:00 am...he just wandered around meowing. I think he is
afraid of the basement - it has been closed off to him so far (it took
about three weeks for him to just feel comfortable enough to leave his
room so it doesn't surprise me). I am afraid to get another cat - not
sure I could handle it.

Old May 23rd 05, 06:02 PM

Barry - my husband was pretty close to that this morning. ;O)

Old May 23rd 05, 06:04 PM

Of course! I missed this. He just wants to be with his people!

But I was up and he had no interested in being with me. He doesn't
even let my husband near him so I would be surprised if he was wanting
to play with Mike.

Old May 23rd 05, 06:08 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
Of course! I missed this. He just wants to be with his people!

But I was up and he had no interested in being with me. He doesn't
even let my husband near him so I would be surprised if he was wanting
to play with Mike.

Well this is a tough one. Siamese are very mouthy, I wonder if he has some
of that in him. I really hope there is a way to work this out, as I can tell
you don't want to return him to the shelter.

Old May 23rd 05, 08:17 PM
kaeli

In article .com,
enlightened us with...
Yes he has access to the bedroom - he actually sleeps with us and
normally at around 4:00 am tries to get me up to play but will just go
play on his own when I ignore him until about 6:00 am when the alarm
clock goes off. I might try the door thing, but my husband hates
sleeping with the door shut. I think we might need to give that a try.

Well, the door closed thing is simply an aversive. He meows, something
undesirable happens -- he gets locked out!
You know your cat better than we do. You know what bugs him. Maybe he has a
distaste of the old squirt bottle. Maybe a loud NO would suffice. Anything
that is considered "not nice" as opposed to "nice" -- as long as the two
aren't paired! If he's like one of my cats, the NO itself is a reward because
it is attention! That cat gets time-out instead. Complete removal of
attention, since that was what she wanted. The other two listen to NO just
fine most of the time.

He is neutered which is one of the confusing things because my
husbands family cats stopped the crazy meowing for nothing once that
was taken care of. I guess to each cat thier own.

Jeffrey likes to walk around and yell. Just walks around and gives a few good
meows every night (well, every night I'm up to hear it anyway) at about 10-
11pm. Sometimes I hear him just as I'm drifting off. Sometimes I'm at the
computer still or watching the idiot box or something. I think he's just
telling the girls that it's time to play and doing an "olly olly oxen
FREE!!!". *heh*
I sleep like the dead, so unless I was already up, doesn't bother *me* any. I
sleep through thunderstorms and people mowing the lawn outside my window. A
little meowing doesn't budge me.

I am afraid to get another cat - not
sure I could handle it.

YMMV, but in my experience, two is easier than one. A bit more expenses, such
as the vet costs, but since they entertain each other, I don't feel guilty
for working all day and they aren't nuts for attention when I get home. I'm
not sure which part you don't think you could handle: money or time. It does
cost more (though not that much more, really). However, it takes LESS of your
time, since you don't need to play with the cat ALL the time -- he has a
playmate.
Just something to think about.

~kaeli~
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old May 23rd 05, 09:43 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

bigbadbarry wrote:

We are at our wits end - I don't want to give him away, but I
don't know what else to do.

Danielle

Is there a way to conceal the fact that the sun has come up? Covering a
window?

This is very cute what he is doing...haha, get up get up get up get up...the
sun is up people we're burning daylight, headem up movem out! get up get up
get up. Your kitten must have a little rooster in him.

My Sinbad (of well-beloved memory) did this when I dropped him off for a
visit with my parents in Vermont. This was about 25 years ago. Sinbad
had been a stray who lived in the back alleys of Beacon Hill in Boston.
I adopted him after he moved in through my bedroom window (cue the
Beatles song), but when I went for a long trip around New Brunswick, I
needed somewhere safe to leave him, so he went to visit Grandma and
Grandpa in the country. ;-)

He'd never been outside the small section of Beacon Hill before, never
seen fields or hills, never seen as much wildlife as there was on the
little back road in rural VT where my parents lived. During the day,
he'd lurk inside the house, but at night he wanted to be OUT and ABOUT!
I theorized that there was too much open green for him during the day,
but he felt safer at night, more like he was still in the alleys between
buildings. So for the evenings before I actually left for Canada, I'd
let him out (the family cat I'd grown up with had roamed free there for
decades and lived to a ripe old age) at dusk, and then I'd call him in
before I went to sleep.

But (getting back to the point) when the sun came up, Sinbad was in my
room on my windowsill serenading the first rays, talking to the birds,
teasing the chipmunks. A-rooooh! A-roohah! It was enough to drive you
batty. He wasn't lacking for anything, he was just excited, turned on,
glorying in nature. I think my mother said he calmed down some after a
few days, and when we came back, picked him up, and returned to Boston,
he was the same old self he'd been before the trip.

Now, as to your specifics, Danielle, I wonder about a change in his
environment. The sun does come up fairly early this time of year
(assuming you're in the northern hemisphere). What was his old
environment like, where he was before you adopted him? He may get used
to whatever the change is and grow out of it. Or, as someone else
suggested, he may need a sibling to share the early morning time with.

In the meantime, perhaps earplugs and/or a white noise machine? I got
one of the latter when I lived in an apartment next to the freshmen dorm
of Berklee School of Music. My bedroom windows opened on an air shaft
that was surrounded on two sides by dorm windows. Those boys could be
rude, crude, and LOUD! So I can testify that white noise machines can
work wonders.

Priscilla