[OT] Florida Purrs

Old September 12th 04, 03:09 AM
John F. Eldredge

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:55:07 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Seanette Blaylock wrote:
"Jo Firey" had some very interesting things
to say about [OT] Florida Purrs:

I've been through both earthquakes and hurricanes. Would have to
go with hurricanes if I had to choose. There is just something
about the ground under your feet moving....

My current temp assignment involves calling suppliers for a good
deal of my day [for the most part, I don't mind. I do object to
the ones I have to call half a dozen times just to find out if the
order went out!], and one gent in Florida commented that he
thought hurricanes were easier to cope with, because you get
advance notice of those. Earthquakes are a surprise package.

Many people would be surprised to hear we sometimes get earthquakes
in west Tennessee. The New Madrid fault runs from Illinois down to
Marked Tree, Arkansas. The last major quake formed Reelfoot Lake
around the turn of the 20th century. I hear tell the Mississippi
ran backwards (I take that with a grain of salt). But in 1976 I
remember being literally thrown off my feet when the last one
measuring anything worth noting hit here. Quite an experience. At
least with a hurricane you get some warning. I was just walking
down the hall and got thrown into the doorway. Went wait a
minute... why is my lamp swaying? Why am *I* swaying? Oh
Geeeeeeze, it's an earthquake!

I was born in California and lived there twice. Had to move to
Tennessee to experience an earthquake - go figure.

Ask me why I don't have anything hanging over my bed or my sofa. G

Purrs for all who need them.

Actually, Reelfoot Lake was formed by the series of major quakes
along the New Madrid Fault in late 1811 and early 1812, not in the
early 20th century. That series of tremors is estimated to have been
the most powerful earthquake in US history (there may well have been
stronger quakes in the past, before Europeans arrived). I have read
that the earthquake caused damage as far away as Boston,
Massachusetts.

Geologists estimate that there is a greater than 50% chance of a
major quake occurring by the mid-21st century, since the many small
quakes since 1812 haven't been enough to relieve all of the stored-up
stress along the fault. I live in Nashville, 180 miles or so east of
the fault, in a brick-veneer house (brick outside, wood-frame
inside), and chose shortly after I bought my house to take out an
earthquake rider on my homeowner's policy. Whenever the big one
finally comes, I don't expect my house to be destroyed, but I do
expect it to need repairs.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from