Purrs for a parakeet

Old October 11th 03, 10:26 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil).

Taz
is only 5 years old.

snip

Old October 11th 03, 10:38 PM
Brenda

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil).

Taz
is only 5 years old.

She was fine yesterday and last night. Playing, chirping, etc. This
morning when I uncovered her I noticed she was coughing. Within 2 hours,
she was at the bottom of the cage with bloody diarrhea. I freaked!

I've raised (as pets, not bred, but raised from babies) parakeets since
1966. Never have I seen a 'keet go down that fast. I called a friend of

co-worker who is a manager at a nearby PetCo. This woman was planning to
become an avian vet but life circumstances prevented it. Anyway, she
immediately gave me instructions, half of which I already knew but I was

in
a panic so I wasn't thinking straight.

I moved Taz to a smaller cage and covered it halfway with a towel. I set

up
a goose-neck heat lamp with a low 40 watt bulb to shine on the covered

side
of the cage. Made sure there were plenty of soft tissues in the bottom

for
her flux. Then I drove like a bird startled by a cat (!) over to PetCo to
get some ornacycline (tetracycline for birds).

She reassured me, sometimes the heat alone helps, simply because they feel
chilled. By the time I came back, Taz was up on the perch next to the

heat.
I have dissolved a tablet of the antibiotic in her water (a larger dish, 8
oz.). The manager also gave me (*gave* me!) a tiny eye-dropper like the

one
she uses to treat birds in case I need to give Taz a little of the
ornacycline by beak. I am to continue the antibiotics for 5 full days

(just
like humans, don't stop taking them just because you seem better). She

said
if she eats in the next 2 days she should be fine; if not, take her to an
avian vet (she recommended one).

I feel better now. I don't want to lose this pretty little
white/yellow/blue bird. She's a little devil, but also a sweetie. She

was
a gift from my fiance, Ray, after my other 'keet, Lorien, died. Purrs

from
all would help. Thanks in advance.

Jill

purrs are on their way.
Brenda

Old October 12th 03, 12:51 AM
Sam Nash

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil).

Taz
is only 5 years old.

snipped
Purrs and good thoughts for Taz on the way.
Sam

Old October 12th 03, 05:07 AM
Karen

in article , jmcquown at
wrote on 10/11/03 12:15 PM:

Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil). Taz
is only 5 years old.

She was fine yesterday and last night. Playing, chirping, etc. This
morning when I uncovered her I noticed she was coughing. Within 2 hours,
she was at the bottom of the cage with bloody diarrhea. I freaked!

I've raised (as pets, not bred, but raised from babies) parakeets since
1966. Never have I seen a 'keet go down that fast. I called a friend of a
[...]

Purrs for a full recovery. What is the lifespan of a parakeet?

Karen

Old October 12th 03, 05:19 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Purrs for Taz to get well soon! Please keep us posted. My in-laws in Houston
are now feeding a p-pet (is that the right term?) that probably escaped from
his/her family and now lives on his/he own. Cute little thing...

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old October 12th 03, 07:04 AM
LOL

"jmcquown" wrote in message . ..
Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil). Taz
is only 5 years old.

She was fine yesterday and last night. Playing, chirping, etc. This
morning when I uncovered her I noticed she was coughing. Within 2 hours,
she was at the bottom of the cage with bloody diarrhea. I freaked!

(snipped for length)

Jill

We are sending many mega-purrs to your Taz; I hope she gets better
pronto. Please keep us posted.

------
Krista
Who won't tell Mike what these particular purrs are for
Old October 12th 03, 09:48 AM
Gizela

Purrs that Taz is OK....oh....and since she is a bird, Rufus, the cockatoo,
sends screeches (reserved only for birds!!!)

Purrs

Angela and Gizmo

Old October 12th 03, 02:16 PM
badwilson

Purrs for Taz!
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old October 12th 03, 05:17 PM
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
Karen wrote:
Purrs for a full recovery. What is the lifespan of a parakeet?

They generally live 9-12 years; I've had two who lived for 14-15 years.
They are really just small parrots. And parrots can live up to about 85
years!! That's one reason I never got a parrot. When Ray and I first
started dating we saw a gorgeous red Macaw; I sighed, oh, I'd love to have
one of those. He said "So get one". Uh, no; the bird would outlive me and
then what would happen to it?!

You would have 85 years to plan for successors. In that time, you can
easily have several children, raise them around parrots, send them to
parrot college, etc.