Poorly cat saved by hospital drug

Old May 2nd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Default Poorly cat saved by hospital drug

A cat who became seriously ill when it swallowed its owner's painkiller
tablet was saved when an NHS hospital in Dorset provided an antidote.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/...00/8022289.stm
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 2nd 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On May 2, 7:45*am, "Adrian" wrote:
A cat who became seriously ill when it swallowed its owner's painkiller
tablet was saved when an NHS hospital in Dorset provided an antidote.http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/...ewsid_8022200/...

A round of applause to the hospital concerned!

and a reminder to be careful with anything potentially toxic to cats-
I now use an elastic band on the handle of the one cupboard where I
keep my cleaning supplies and another on the cupboard where I keep my
sort of house first aid kit (I don't have an actual first aid kit but
it's where I store painkillers, sticking plasters, ibuprofen gel, cold
and flu remedies etc) after the morning when I went into the kitchen
and found someone had scattered my toilet cleaner, polish and all the
other stuff (thankfully it's mostly child proof containers- I still
can't open the sink unblocker myself!) over the kitchen floor.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old May 2nd 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

wrote in
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/...ewsid_8022200/...

A round of applause to the hospital concerned!

and a reminder to be careful with anything potentially toxic to cats-
I now use an elastic band on the handle of the one cupboard where I
keep my cleaning supplies and another on the cupboard where I keep my
sort of house first aid kit (I don't have an actual first aid kit but
it's where I store painkillers, sticking plasters, ibuprofen gel, cold
and flu remedies etc) after the morning when I went into the kitchen
and found someone had scattered my toilet cleaner, polish and all the
other stuff (thankfully it's mostly child proof containers- I still
can't open the sink unblocker myself!) over the kitchen floor.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I was bothered by this quote:

"In the year we have had her she has kept us on our toes, both with her
entertaining antics and relatively regular visits to the vet for one
thing or another, but the paracetamol poisoning exceeds anything we could
have imagined," she said.

Is swallowing a pill left accessible by the cat all _that_ hard to
imagine?

Old May 2nd 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

outsider wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

I think it's only hard to imagine if it's _meant_ for the cat.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old May 3rd 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

outsider wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Perhaps it depends upon the personalities of one's cats? In fifty-plus
years of cat companions, I have NEVER had a cat who showed any interest
in medications (human or otherwise), except for the entertainment value
of batting a pill container around on the floor.

Old May 3rd 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
:

outsider wrote:
wrote in
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/...ewsid_8022200/.
..

[...]

My guys do chew on some of the small things the find but I don't think
they would swallow a pill. Even so I _can_ imagine it happening and am
very carefull with pills. It only takes once.
Old May 3rd 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AlisonT

I think it's only hard to imagine if it's _meant_ for the cat.
--

LOL, A new method for pilling a cat. Pretend to be taking the pill
yourself, along with plenty of "no, you can't have this" directed to
Old May 4th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On May 3, 2:40*pm, AlisonT wrote:

LOL, A new method for pilling a cat. *Pretend to be taking the pill
yourself, along with plenty of "no, you can't have this" directed to
the cat. *Now pretend to accidentally drop it. *I think it would work
for Tank.

Many years ago we had Speedy Joe and a d thing called Motley. Both
needed to be wormed, Speedy Joe was proving rather hard to pill
(Read: Impossible- we once held his mouth shut and stroked his throat
for over 5 minutes- he had swallowed several times but as soon as we
let go, he spat the pill straight into Dave;s eye- we concluded he had
a special "pill retaining" pouch in his throat) so I turned my
attention to Motley who would eat anything and the box did say the
pills were "palatable" so I put it in his bowl as he was about to eat
it, Speedy Joe came in and from his point of view must have seen
Motley getting a treat while he wasn;t, he shot forward, snatched the
worming pill and ate it. A pill designed to worm a 65 pound dog
swallowed by a 10-12 pound cat. Amazingly he seemed to suffer no side
effects whatsoever

Old May 5th 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

wrote in message

Good point....the one exception hee is definite interest in the large,
megaDHA
fish oil capsules, which even I can smell, thinking if I was a
feline......and I
don't think the cats would care if they're from Norway or not.

*************************

I'm at four of those blasted things a day now and the cats hang around to
smell my breath after I take them at night. It is not a good thing when one
gets stuck in your throat. I burp fish smell for over an hour after that
happens.

Pam S.

Tiger has been poorly ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 15 August 1st 08 10:44 PM
Very poorly cat - advice needed please BLOGGZPOT Cat health & behaviour 10 February 23rd 08 11:15 AM
PB is poorly Shirley Cat anecdotes 28 May 6th 06 11:18 AM
Poorly cat..please help karenpar Cat health & behaviour 14 October 14th 05 12:10 PM
Poorly Polly & TED visit Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 24 August 20th 03 06:15 PM