Wierd black dots near mouth

Old September 29th 04, 06:20 AM
Angela St.Aubin

Default Wierd black dots near mouth

I just noticed something strange on one of my cats.
Along the top ridge of her mouth, on the outside, in the fur, but right next
to her "lips" there are dozens of tiny black specs.. they look almost like
blackheads.
Any ideas of what they are, or if anything needs to be done?

Old September 29th 04, 03:32 PM
Mary

"Peggy Currid" wrote:

Sounds like cat acne. Are you using plastic dishes for her food and

water?

One of my cats had that problem when she was a couple of years ago. The

first thing we did was switch to ceramic dishes but the problem persisted,
even with the use of antibiotics and topical ointments.

It turned out she had a food allergy, and the problem cleared up when we

changed food from Iam's regular to lamb and rice.

This is good to know, Peggy. I suspect my cat Cheeky has food allergies.
Everything was going fine until I changed her food, and now both her asthma
and eosinophilic complex (linear granuloma) is acting up. I changed her back
to the low-quality food that, nevertheless, kept her Depo Medrol, congestion
and bump free for eight months.

Old September 29th 04, 06:57 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

Angela St.Aubin quoth:

I just noticed something strange on one of my cats.
Along the top ridge of her mouth, on the outside, in the fur, but right next
to her "lips" there are dozens of tiny black specs.. they look almost like
blackheads.
Any ideas of what they are, or if anything needs to be done?

Kitty acne. I'll bet she's eating out of plastic dishes. If so, switch
to china or metal.

Priscilla

Old October 1st 04, 09:14 AM
Camilla Cracchiolo

I dunno: I'm going to be conservative and say have a vet look
at it.

I once had a white kitten who developed black "stuff" near his
mouth...it looked like he had been digging in dirt. He died and then
all the other cats in the house got it. My mom (this was when I was a
kid) took the other cats to the vet and he said it was very serious,
gave them something and they were fine. Since I was little I don't
know what it was, but knowing what I do now as a nurse, I think maybe
the black stuff was blood: in ulcers, if the person vomits it's
described as looking like coffee grounds and this stuff did look like
that.

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:20:10 -0400, "Angela St.Aubin"
wrote:

I just noticed something strange on one of my cats.
Along the top ridge of her mouth, on the outside, in the fur, but right next
to her "lips" there are dozens of tiny black specs.. they look almost like
blackheads.
Any ideas of what they are, or if anything needs to be done?

Camilla Cracchiolo
Registered Nurse
Los Angeles, California

webpage temporarily down

Old October 2nd 04, 04:00 PM
Angela St.Aubin

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Its definitely not fleas, but it may be an allergy to the food/water dishes
(although the other 2 cats don't have it) or acne. It looks just like a
human blackhead, and i bet if i squeezed them, goo would come out, but i am
afraid to hurt her. they don't seem to cause any pain or discomfort of any
sort.
are they dangerous to her health, or do you think they are hurting her?

Old October 2nd 04, 04:22 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"Angela St.Aubin" wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Its definitely not fleas, but it may be an allergy to the food/water dishes
(although the other 2 cats don't have it) or acne. It looks just like a
human blackhead, and i bet if i squeezed them, goo would come out, but i am
afraid to hurt her. they don't seem to cause any pain or discomfort of any
sort.
are they dangerous to her health, or do you think they are hurting her?

The other possibility is what happened with a friend's cat. We thought
he had feline acne, but it turns out it was folliculitis or some such.
He gets infected hair follicles a lot. When it got worse my friend
thought her second cat was biting the first cat on the neck but it was
more folliculitis, just much worse. I think the vet gave her cream and
pills for him, but I don't remember all the specifics.

Priscilla