gingivitis question

Old April 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default gingivitis question

I took my cat to the vet yesterday for his annual exam. Last year they
told me his teeth were good but that he had gingivitis. His gums
looked quite red. He had no other symptoms - ate his dry food without
a problem and didn't seem to have any discomfort. I started brushing
his teeth every few days.

This year the gingivitis is still the same and now they say he has
tartar on his teeth. They still don't think it's an emergency issue
but told me to try a dental food (Science Diet Prescription TD) and to
brush daily. If that doesn't help to consider cleaning and/or
extractions.

I am leaning towards extractions and wanted some advice. He is 6 years
old. If the gum problems didn't improve since last year when he had no
tartar problems I don't see that a cleaning is going to cure the
gingivitis now.

I'm told a cat can do just fine without teeth. Is that true? Can I
still feed him dry food? He loves Science Diet Nature's Best and as
far as I can tell he does not chew it.

This is a REALLY dumb question and won't affect my decision, but will
he look different after his teeth are out? I just want to be
prepared.

About how long does it take them to recover? It breaks my heart when
he doesn't feel well.

So, I'm thinking of trying the food and brushing for a few months. If
that doesn't help, and I doubt that it will, I plan to have them
extract his teeth.

What do you think?

Old April 13th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My 4 year old bombay had a mild case of gingivitis last year. (wouldn't
and still won't let me near him with a toothbrush or fingerbrush) The
vet suggested I have his teeth cleaned professionally. They put the cat
out so it feels nothing and can't squirm around. Seemed to work out
great. Teeth very clean after the procedure. Cost about $200 with the
blood scan (to make sure the anesthetic is correctly adjusted). I now
feed him Science Diet Oral Care nuggets and add some plaque fighter to
his water once a month. So far, so good :-)

Good luck!

Old April 13th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
[...]

I'm not a vet, but most likely you will have to have the vet
professionally clean his teeth. Once there is tartar buildup, regular
brushing won't remove it (the same is true for people). If you take
care of this sooner rather than later, it will minimize the need for
extractions (if any are needed). Yes, cats can do fine without teeth.
My parents' late kitty had several removed and ate the same as she
always did. No, he won't look different, unless the remove a canine
tooth, which is more noticable when they open their mouths.

I'm not a fan of prescription food, and personally don't think it would
have much of an effect. (One of my parents' dogs has a tartar problem
and eats this food, but still has to get his teeth cleaned about every
two years.) It's most important to feed a high quality diet and brush
regularly.

My Tucker has had his teeth cleaned twice and recovered quickly. You
might have to give him a round of antibiotics to prevent any
infections, but they can come home the same day.

Rene

Old April 13th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rene S. wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Anitbiotics?? For what??? The gums arent infected. We dont give
antibiotics for teeth cleaning and ALL our cats stay the night after
any SX (teeth cleaning is still considered SX)

Old April 13th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Sherri" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anitbiotics?? For what???
The gums arent infected.

Gum tissues have an extensive blood supply- and all the bacteria contained
in the calculi can easily enter the blood stream and cause infections in
other organ systems. Bacteria-laden calculi also serves as a direct
reservoir for bacterial contamination of the lungs. One of the reasons why
vets wear masks while cleaning a cat's teeth is so they don't inhale
bacteria. Conscientious vets will never schedule surgeries in the same room
on the same day after dental cleanings because the entire room is
contaminated with bacteria.

We dont give
antibiotics for teeth cleaning

That's scary!

Old April 13th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

writes:
I am leaning towards extractions and wanted some advice.

------
If your dentist said you had tartar on your teeth, would you have them
removed?

[...] If the gum problems didn't improve since last year
when he had no tartar problems I don't see that a cleaning
is going to cure the gingivitis now.

-------
If your dentist said you had gingivitis despite brushing every day,
wouldn't you get your teeth professionally cleaned?

If the cat has healthy teeth underneath the tartar, have the TARTAR
professionally removed. This should cure the gingivitis while leaving
the teeth in tact.

Old April 13th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...

I am leaning towards extractions and wanted some advice. He is 6 years
old. If the gum problems didn't improve since last year when he had no
tartar problems I don't see that a cleaning is going to cure the
gingivitis now.

My cat had the same thing, but I put off the professional cleaning because
he had other issues that had to be dealt with first. Well, eventually it
got bad enough that when he did go in for the cleaning, they had to do three
extractions. He's pulled through it fine. He was on wet food for the first
time in his life for a few weeks, and when he started turning up his nose at
it, I knew he was fine. So now it's back to eating dry food only.

The BEST thing about having his teeth cleaned? No more stinky breath!
Honestly, he used to yawn, and I could smell it across the room. I thought
it was normal, but now? Sweet!

Actually, the best thing about having his teeth cleaned is no more nasty
bacteria going into his bloodstream and putting strain on his mildly CRF
kidneys.

So go for the cleaning, and listen to Phil, and go with the antibiotics. A
cat is like a car...you have to invest in preventive maintenance to prolong
your enjoyment!

Good luck.

Toni from T.O.

Old April 13th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think you should have your cat's teeth cleaned and forget about
extractions unless your cat actually has stomatitis or a bad tooth.

Gingivitis is reversible. If your vet recommended a full mouth extraction-
you need to find a new vet.

Old April 14th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

This year the gingivitis is still the same and now they say he has
tartar on his teeth. They still don't think it's an emergency issue
but told me to try a dental food (Science Diet Prescription TD) and to
brush daily. If that doesn't help to consider cleaning and/or
extractions.

Why would they want to wait until it is am emergency issue? You should get
the cleaning now since there is tarter and gingivitis.

I am leaning towards extractions and wanted some advice. He is 6 years
old. If the gum problems didn't improve since last year when he had no
tartar problems I don't see that a cleaning is going to cure the
gingivitis now.

Does he have FORL's (cavities)? If not, why would you get extractions?

I'm told a cat can do just fine without teeth. Is that true? Can I
still feed him dry food? He loves Science Diet Nature's Best and as
far as I can tell he does not chew it.

First of all, I don't think a vet would pull all of a cat's teeth out.
Second, your cat would be in a whole lot of pain if someone did.

So, I'm thinking of trying the food and brushing for a few months. If
that doesn't help, and I doubt that it will, I plan to have them
extract his teeth.

The food isn't going to get rid of the tarter. The food is usually given to
patients AFTER they have a cleaning to try and prevent the build-up of tarter
from happening again. Brushing can help with tarter and you should
definitely start doing it after the cleaning. But it doesn't help with
FORL's so he may still develop some in his lifetime even with brushing. I've
brushed my cat's teeth her whole life and she has much less tarter than a cat
with unbrushed teeth but she recently developed two cavities. FORL's are not
caused by food sitting on teeth like human's cavities are. In fact, they're
not sure why some cat's get them.