OT - How Old is Old?

Old July 3rd 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

Default OT - How Old is Old?

On Jul 3, 10:38*am, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
hopitus wrote:
On Jul 3, 9:21 am, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Joy wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
Just curious. *At what age do you consider someone as old? *Personally I
feel like I passed old 10 years ago at 49. *I'm going to be 60 this coming
October and I feel ancient. *However my mom, who is in *MUCH* better shape
than me doesn't seem all that old at 85.
--
Hugs,
CatNipped

Impossible to tell by your nick but not to worry if you're a male. If
not, some action of
some kind is called for.

Male. My name is real(alas). My sisters name is Sjoukje.
My grandfather and grandmother on mothers side
were Sjouke and Sjoukje.

I just thought it was something clever you thought up; I understand
totally....if my maternal
family kin had won when naming me, instead of the paternal kin winning
out, I might have
a name like Celine Dion or Avril Lavigne.
If you really don't like being addressed "Sir" start small...change in
attire maybe? Nothing
wrong with your name; it sounds foreign and that is so trendy hot now.
No one calls hotties
"Sir". Lori had one bullseye with you're as old as you think of
yourself as, eh?
Old July 3rd 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phoenix[_2_]

Sherry wrote:
I think I tend to judge "old" by what's in
your head, how trendy you are, if you're current on news, etc.,
sense of humor (big one!), not the number-age.

Ah well, then....at 59, I am but an egg!

Deborah
Old July 3rd 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
hopitus[_2_]

On Jul 3, 1:13*pm, Phoenix wrote:
Sherry wrote:
I think I tend to judge "old" by what's in
your head, how trendy you are, if you're current on news, etc.,
sense of humor (big one!), not the number-age.

Ah well, then....at 59, I am but an egg!
Deborah

Definitely not old, with the sig line you dug up, which I have
always envied.
Old July 3rd 11, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Richard Casady

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 21:47:18 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

Just curious. At what age do you consider someone as old? Personally I
feel like I passed old 10 years ago at 49. I'm going to be 60 this coming
October and I feel ancient. However my mom, who is in *MUCH* better shape
than me doesn't seem all that old at 85.

Old is a third rate nursing home, in restraints and diapers.

Casady
Old July 3rd 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Age is just a number. I'm old enough that some of my contemporaries are
taking early retirement, young enough to feel embarassed as to how
tired her schedule makes me feel after chatting with someone who must be
in her late 70s or early 80s who has to rush off to drive some 'old'
people who don't get around so well these days to their activities.

I've got very definite ideas on how I want to live my later years, but
as one old friend said 'You know, Cheryl, all that sweetness and light
stuff is really hard!' so I may end up as a bad-tempered old lady
moaning to the caregivers about my bad legs instead of keeping as kind,
helpful, active and interested in life as my body will allow.

And then there are the increasingly frequent days when I'm just thankful
I still have some time to indulge my curiosity and enjoy myself, because
I've heard of yet another friend or acquaintance my age or younger
headed for the Bridge too early. I never used to understand why my
mother and her friends talked about illness and death so much.

Of course, when I was really young, pre-teen, maybe even teen-aged, I
thought anyone past 30 or even 25 was practically tottering on the edge
of the grave already, and couldn't possibly have any interest in or get
any enjoyment out of life.

--
Cheryl
Old July 3rd 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 12:00 am, "Joy" wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

Recalling SNL your post reminded me of The Church Lady of that tv
show, "We
like ourselves, don't we?" which applies to your socially inept
conversationalist
quoted. *I* decided that I don't wish to know whether or not you still
talk to her
at church. I have been called many things.....but never "little old
lady".

***

Actually, I do still talk to her. I was pretty shocked when she said it,
but I didn't say anything. However, I have the opposite of a poker face, so
I suspect she knows my reaction. Now I just think it's funny.

Joy

Old July 4th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

Old isn't an age, it's a state of mind.

When I was in my mid thirties, I thought I was old. I was ready to
curl up in a chair with a good book for the rest of my life. Then I
got dragged to a music festival for the first time in my life. Then I
went to a gig and fell in love with a band. In the last nine years or
so I've been to several music festivals, I've queued all night on the
pavement for gig tickets with people half ... nay ... a third my age.
I've made new friends twenty years younger than me and others twenty
years older. I've started to write fiction and had it published. I've
spent a week away from home on a road trip following a band round the
country.

Last time the band toured, I decided that at 46, I was too old and
knackered to be on the barrier. I lasted two gigs at the back before I
realised that I was going to be tired and in pain by the end of the
gig wherever I stood, so I spent the rest of the tour at the barrier
again, and guess what, I had so much fun I forgot about the pain.

I'm getting older, but I'm not going to get old.

Old July 4th 11, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Sherry wrote:

Helen Mirren was on SNL last night. I couldn't help marveling at how
beautiful she is, in a natural way. And funny. No idea her age, but
I'd
never think of her as old. I think I tend to judge "old" by what's in
your head, how trendy you are, if you're current on news, etc.,
sense of humor (big one!), not the number-age.

Sherry

According to IMDb, Helen Mirren was born July 26, 1945
--
Adrian
Old July 4th 11, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 3, 4:30*pm, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Have you been offered the Senior Citizen Discount lately? That was
creepy
the first time. Now I just go with the flow and enjoy it if it's
offered. :-)

Sherry