Custer learns a valuable lesson

Old October 7th 11, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

Default Custer learns a valuable lesson

Don't mess with wasps or bees. He came in last night with his face all
puffed up and big sting on the top of his nose. It was too late to do
anything, and he didn't seem in any discomfort so I decided to assess in
the morning. Anyway, all's well that ends well, he's fine this morning,
no swelling and the sting has faded.
--
Nik Simpson
Old October 7th 11, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"nik Simpson" wrote in message
Don't mess with wasps or bees. He came in last night with his face all
puffed up and big sting on the top of his nose. It was too late to do
anything, and he didn't seem in any discomfort so I decided to assess in
the morning. Anyway, all's well that ends well, he's fine this morning, no
swelling and the sting has faded.
--
Nik Simpson

Thankful purrs!

Something similar happened to my dog, Sampson (RB) back in 1982. He was
just a puppy and I had let him out in the back yard to do his business. I
heard him yelp, then he ran inside and hid under the bed. His muzzle
swelled up to twice its normal (tiny) size. He'd been stung by something, a
wasp or a bee, I don't know. I couldn't get him out from under the bed. My
car wouldn't start and my good for nothing husband wasn't anywhere around.
I couldn't take him to the emergency vet. I called them; they told me to
give him an antihistamine. Oh, like I keep those in the house. (I was
lucky to have food back then.) I was so relieved when the swelling went
down and he got over it all by himself. It's horrible to feel helpless when
an animal is counting on you to take care of them.

Jill

Old October 7th 11, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 10/7/2011 1:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:

It's horrible to feel helpless when an animal is counting on you to take
care of them.

It seemed to be bothering me much more than him, so long as I didn't try
to investigate and start poking around, he was quite happy to sleep ;-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old October 7th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"nik Simpson" wrote in message
Don't mess with wasps or bees. He came in last night with his face all
puffed up and big sting on the top of his nose. It was too late to do
anything, and he didn't seem in any discomfort so I decided to assess in
the morning. Anyway, all's well that ends well, he's fine this morning, no
swelling and the sting has faded.
--
Nik Simpson

Poor baby! I'm glad he didn't have an allergic reaction.

Joy

Old October 8th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 10/07/2011 08:01 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
Don't mess with wasps or bees. He came in last night with his face all
puffed up and big sting on the top of his nose. It was too late to do
anything, and he didn't seem in any discomfort so I decided to assess in
the morning. Anyway, all's well that ends well, he's fine this morning,
no swelling and the sting has faded.

A number of years ago, my niece was watching her Siamese play in her
back yard. It caught a bee in its mouth and was instantly in trouble.
She grabbed her car keys, caught the cat and rushed it to the Vet two
blocks away. The cat was dead by the time she got there. MLB
Old October 8th 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"MLB" wrote in message
On 10/07/2011 08:01 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
Don't mess with wasps or bees. He came in last night with his face all
puffed up and big sting on the top of his nose. It was too late to do
anything, and he didn't seem in any discomfort so I decided to assess in
the morning. Anyway, all's well that ends well, he's fine this morning,
no swelling and the sting has faded.

A number of years ago, my niece was watching her Siamese play in her back
yard. It caught a bee in its mouth and was instantly in trouble. She
grabbed her car keys, caught the cat and rushed it to the Vet two blocks
away. The cat was dead by the time she got there. MLB

Yikes. That's a horrible tale. Anaphalactic shock, no doubt. But at least
she rushed the cat to the vet rather than asking on a newsgroup "what should
I do?"

Jill

Old October 8th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Richard Casady

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 15:48:10 -0500, nik Simpson
wrote:

On 10/7/2011 1:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:

It's horrible to feel helpless when an animal is counting on you to take
care of them.

It seemed to be bothering me much more than him, so long as I didn't try
to investigate and start poking around, he was quite happy to sleep ;-)

The times I have been stung by bees and, more often, hornets, it has
hurt for five to ten minutes.

Casady
Old October 9th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Booker

My cat Binkley was coughing and coughing. Finally took him to the vet.
They couldn't see anything, so they did an x-ray and saw the stinger
caught in his throat. Took it out and taped it to his chart. They'd
never seen anything like it. He was never in danger, could still
breathe, but I bet that felt really weird.

Old October 9th 11, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2011-10-08, jmcquown wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
On 10/07/2011 08:01 AM, nik Simpson wrote:
Don't mess with wasps or bees. He came in last night with his face all
puffed up and big sting on the top of his nose. It was too late to do
anything, and he didn't seem in any discomfort so I decided to assess in
the morning. Anyway, all's well that ends well, he's fine this morning,
no swelling and the sting has faded.

A number of years ago, my niece was watching her Siamese play in her back
yard. It caught a bee in its mouth and was instantly in trouble. She
grabbed her car keys, caught the cat and rushed it to the Vet two blocks
away. The cat was dead by the time she got there. MLB

Yikes. That's a horrible tale. Anaphalactic shock, no doubt. But at least
she rushed the cat to the vet rather than asking on a newsgroup "what should
I do?"

Jill

A sting in the mouth can cause the airway to swell closed. I had a
kitten get stung on its nose once. The animal was uncomfortable for
about a day, but wasn't in danger.

Bud

Bud