Crazy and odd pet laws

Old February 8th 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Crazy and odd pet laws

Proper Attire

Berea, OH
Any animal that goes out after dark must wear a tail light.

Creskill, NY
All cats venturing outside must wear three bells to warn birds of their
approach.

French Lick Springs, IN
All black cats must wear bells on Friday the 13th.

Waterboro, ME
Dog leashes may not be over eight feet in length.

South Dakota
No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.

Drinking and Smoking

Chicago, IL
It is illegal to give a dog whiskey.

Zion, IL
It is illegal to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, or any other
domesticated animal.

Tuscaloosa, AL
If you're in a public park you may not give any animal any alcoholic
beverage or tobacco.

Noise

North Brook, IL
It's against the law for a dog to bark more than 15 minutes.

Little Rock, AR
Dogs may not bark after 6 PM.

Collingswood, NJ
Dogs are not allowed to bark or howl between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Columbus, GA
Cats are not allowed to howl after 9 p.m.

Berkley, CA
It is unlawful to whistle for your escaped pet bird before 7 a.m.

Memphis, TN
If a frog's croaking keeps you awake at night, you can have that frog
arrested.

Traffic

Utah
Birds have the right of way on public highways.

Arkansas
It is illegal to blindfold cows on public highways.

McDonald, OH
You may not march your goose down the main street.

Out on the Town

Chicago, IL
You may not take a French Poodle to the opera (no matter how well quaffed!).

Baltimore, MD
It's illegal to take a lion to the movies.

Juneau, Alaska
Animals are not allowed to enter barbershops for the practice of
hairdressing.

Hartford, CT
It is illegal to educate dogs.

Wallace, ID
No person is allowed to sleep in a dog kennel.

Civility

Oklahoma
People who make "ugly faces" at dogs may be fined and/or jailed.

International Falls, MN
Cats are forbidden from chasing dogs up telephone poles.

Reggio Emilia
If your pets share a meal, they must be given equal portions, or the owner
will be fined up to ?324 ($424).

Foxport, WI
Dogs are prohibited from acting as though they are "vicious animals." This
includes excessive barking, growling or making menacing gestures.

Madison, WI
Dogs are not allowed to "worry" squirrels in the public park next to the
capitol.

Miami, FL
It is forbidden to imitate an animal.

Honolulu, HI
Within the limits of any public park, it is unlawful to annoy the birds.

Norfolk, VA
Spitting on a seagull is not tolerated.

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Virginia
Dogcatchers are prohibited from bothering cats while looking for wayward
dogs.

Alabama
It's against the law to teach a bear to wrestle.

Leahy, WA
You may not blow your nose outdoors, as it may scare a horse and cause it to
panic.

Ft. Thomas, KY
Dogs may not molest cars.

Belvedere, CA
City Council order: "No dog shall be in a public place without its master on
a leash."

Connecticut
Any dogs bearing tattoos must be reported to police.

Turin
Dog owners can be fined ?500 ($652) if they don't walk their dog at least
three times a day.

Get a Room

Ventura County, CA
Cats and dogs are not allowed to mate without a permit.

California
Animals must not be allowed to mate publicly within 500 yards of a tavern,
school, or place of worship.

New Castle, DE
Couples are not allowed to make out, or even hold hands, while walking a dog
on a leash.

Law Enforcement

Palding, OH
A police officer may bite a dog to quiet him.

Denver, CO
The dogcatcher must notify dogs of impounding by posting, for three
consecutive days, a notice on a tree in the city park and along a public
road running through said park.

Houston, TX
You must submit to psychoanalysis before being considered for the job of
dogcatcher.

Sources: The Book of Strange and Curious Legal Oddities by Nathan Belofsky;
You May Not Tie Your Alligator to a Fire Hydrant by Jeff Koon and Andy
Powell; Whacky Laws, Weird Decisions & Strange Statues by Sheryl
Lindsell-Roberts, K.R. Hobbi, Ted LeVallian & Marcel Theroux; Loony Laws
That You Never Knew You Were Breaking by Robert Wayne Pelton; dumblaws.com;
squidoo.com; dogsinthenews.com; humantimes.com; and strangefacts.com

Old February 8th 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Proper Attire

(snippage)

McDonald, OH
You may not march your goose down the main street.

My parents grew up in McDonald, OH. I remember the law as "It is illegal to
walk a duck down the street without a leash".

Very funny list, thanks Matthew!

Jill

Old February 8th 12, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Proper Attire

(snippage)

McDonald, OH
You may not march your goose down the main street.

My parents grew up in McDonald, OH. I remember the law as "It is illegal
to walk a duck down the street without a leash".

Very funny list, thanks Matthew!

Jill

aspca newsletter had it in this week I knew I had to repost it ;-)

Old February 8th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

Brilliant.

I must look up our laws in the UK.

I'll bet a lot of countries have weird laws like this. I don't think
all of the ones that were listed in Matthew's post were from the US.
Where's "Reggio Emilia"? Sounds like Italy. Plus there were a couple
that had different currencies, but I'm not sure what they were because
my email s/w doesn't support whatever encoding was used for the currency
symbol.

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old February 9th 12, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Waterboro, ME Dog leashes may not be over eight feet in length.

Nothing odd about that one. Who hasn't been tripped over by some
idiot with their dog on one of those fishing-reel leashes?

Old February 9th 12, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Matthew wrote:

International Falls, MN
Cats are forbidden from chasing dogs up telephone poles.

I LOVE this one! (I've known some cats who could do it, too - at least
they'd TRY!)

Norfolk, VA
Spitting on a seagull is not tolerated.

How often will you find a seagull who'd stay still long enough?
Old February 9th 12, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:55:52 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Cetainly you won't have a pet bird for long.

Although I do know someone with a cat and a bird. I think the bird has
gotten used to it but it probably took some time.
Old February 9th 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

dgk wrote:

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Cetainly you won't have a pet bird for long.

Although I do know someone with a cat and a bird. I think the bird has
gotten used to it but it probably took some time.

Depends. Cats can learn to regard an animal that is usually prey for them
as "family" instead. My sister had a cockatiel and 4 cats. The bird used
to walk on the floor, right past the 4 cats who were all staring at him as
he passed. When I saw this, I nearly chewed my nails off, but my sister
kept saying, "don't worry, it's fine." And it was.

Jill used to have a bird, along with Persia. I can't remember if she kept
them separated from each other, though.

I imagine the size of the bird would be a factor as well. If it were, say,
a large macaw, I might be more worried about the cat.

When I was a teenager, we had a budgie who lived in a cage in my sister's
room. She was very attached to it. One night, the family came from from
an evening out and found feathers all over the floor and stairs. The cage
was tipped over and the bird was missing. The cat looked quite satisfied
with himself. My poor sister - she was devastated. So, apparently that
cat didn't get the memo about the budgie being family and not food.

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old February 9th 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Reed City, MI
If you own a cat, you may not have a pet bird. There's a $25 fine for the
offense.

Cetainly you won't have a pet bird for long.

Although I do know someone with a cat and a bird. I think the bird has
gotten used to it but it probably took some time.

I had parakeets when Persia moved in with me. It took some patience but I
was able to get her over the instinctive urge to pounce at the cage. They
lived a good long time. After that I got a fischer lovebird (Peaches).
Persia loved that bird! I used to travel a lot so I'd board both of them at
the vet. They kept Peaches' cage in the grooming room because she liked the
sound of running water. One day they were cleaning out Persia's kennel and
the door was ajar. She could hear Peaches chirping so she went looking for
her! And yes, she found her

Jill

Old February 10th 12, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Brilliant.

I must look up our laws in the UK.

I don't know of any animals laws here like this - but when I once offered to
take my elderly neighbour out to see a gardening programme for the radio
that was being recorded nearby, she insisted on putting some coins in her
pocket. Vagrancy Act. Apparently (in theory) you can still be arrested
here if you have no money about your person, as a vagrant. I don't know if
it's true, but I told her "Don't worry, Dorothy, if the police come, I would
have vouched for you."

This puts the Queen in a peculiar position, as allegedly, when she is out
and about she never carries money.
Imagine HRH being arrested for vagrancy..

We Have New Laws To Protect Animals in UK/Animal Welfare Laws sheelagh Cat health & behaviour 4 April 11th 07 02:35 PM
Laws of cat physics Joy Cat anecdotes 1 September 23rd 06 11:20 PM
Laws of Physics Julie and Sam Cat anecdotes 4 September 21st 06 05:10 AM
OT Mother in laws look out Matthew Cat anecdotes 2 July 26th 06 06:47 AM
OT Unavoidable Laws Matthew Cat anecdotes 2 June 14th 06 07:59 PM