San Diego Cats

Old October 8th 05, 01:09 PM

Default San Diego Cats

I was a few months ago in a pet store in San Diego and we saw a
very pretty cat which we wished to adopt... except as we lived in
Winchester... too far away... so we were refused... and then we
were also asked where the cat would sleep... are these people
idiots... the cat chooses where to sleep sometimes on the bed,
sometimes underneath the bed, sometimes on the sofa, sometimes
in the sink, sometimes just anywhere.

Axel

Old October 8th 05, 05:58 PM
Mme. Anaïs ^..^

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:09:29 GMT, 's
little, agile paws typed:

I was a few months ago in a pet store in San Diego and we saw a
very pretty cat which we wished to adopt... except as we lived in
Winchester... too far away... so we were refused... and then we
were also asked where the cat would sleep... are these people
idiots... the cat chooses where to sleep sometimes on the bed,
sometimes underneath the bed, sometimes on the sofa, sometimes
in the sink, sometimes just anywhere.

Axel

I don't know if "shelter folks" are simply out of the sanity loop or
don't have real lives beyond their "hobby".

When I went looking for my cat I too thought it would be wonderful to
adopt a homeless kitty, and emailed or telephoned 5 shelters. In ten
days I heard nothing, so I tried another 5; then another two. After
three weeks I had not one response; I telephoned the nearest one, and
some belligerent a**hole (returning my call days later) lectured me
about how they were dedicated volunteers with little time, blah blah
and how dare I annoy them with my petty concerns; she *never* got back
to me! The other three (out of 12) that contacted me all sent me long,
intrusive applications (weeks later) asking inane questions, making
obtrusive demands as if I were obtaining FBI clearance (attach copies
of your last three paychecks, credit card statements, provide three
references, arrange an inspection of your home and a personal
interview, ad infinitum) before even letting me see their cats.

Inasmuch as I had been attending cat shows while waiting, I simply
said "f*ck this" to the shelters (not that they know, since *not one*
ever followed up), since I began to realize that I had been dealing
with folks that were not quite all there. I began to speak with
exhibitor/breeders at the cat shows, almost all of whom were friendly,
open and invited me to their homes to see and handle their cats. In
three weeks, I chose a wonderful breeder, from whom I finally bought
Anaïs. That breeder has given me huge chunks of her time to show me
(hands on) everything from daily grooming, nail clipping, bathing &
blow-drying her and the like, and for the past two years, has *always*
been there to answer any and all of my questions. In addition, Anaïs
is happy, healthy and in two years has *never* given me a problem -
not even hurked a hairball!

Further - since she willingly gave me their names - I was able to
meet others who had bought her cats and ask questions about them being
healthy, well-adjusted and happy cats (they were).Many were at cat
shows being shown, and I could see and hold them.

You'll have this cat for 15 years; so my suggestion is to go to CFA
cat shows (they have a web-site) and meet the breeders and look at the
cats. Sure they're more costly than shelter cats, but at least you
will be treated with respect, and know that you are buying a strong,
healthy cat without behavior problems - as your companion.

--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs
10/8/2005 12:30:47 PM
anais+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old October 9th 05, 04:47 PM
Miss Violette

I have never actually adopted a cat as they always just come but the shelter
here, APL is a wonderful clean place with decent workers, as a matter of
fact if you ask baby kitty's Mom she can tell you, soft
.. .

Old October 9th 05, 08:42 PM
Mme. Anaïs ^..^

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:47:54 -0500, Miss Violette's little, agile paws
typed:

I have never actually adopted a cat as they always just come but the shelter
here, APL is a wonderful clean place with decent workers, as a matter of
fact if you ask baby kitty's Mom she can tell you, soft

I don't doubt your word, Lee, but that was not my point - or the
original poster's.

While everyone acknowledges that throwaway and abandoned cats are a
problem, and that shelters are overcrowded, no one in the cat
community seems to be willing to address the greatest obstacle to
placing these poor kitties in loving homes: obsessive and
self-righteous shelter workers.

I don't go to cat shows often, but when I do invariably I will meet
yet another person choosing a kitty from a breeder because they have
been treated like crap by local shelters. It's a commonly heard
complaint among cat newbies, yet never acknowledged (at least to me)
by experienced cat owners...

Let's face it - even on this small newsgroup of perhaps 12 regular
posters are two individuals who state clearly that they *wanted* to
adopt a homeless cat, but were stymied by the shelter - and for no
rational reason at all - just a shelter worker's need to be a
controlling pain-in-the-ass. That's a rather high percentage...

And what did the shelter worker accomplish? Two more homeless cats
are still in a shelter, and two more people will never visit a shelter
again. Multiply this by those in the real world whose complaints you
haven't heard, and you can see the extent of the problem.

People in the community need to address this - and shelters need to
ask successful breeders teach their workers how to conduct a proper
interview, and weed out those shelter workers who simply do not have
interpersonal skills. After all, the goal is to find a loving home for
a homeless cat, not fulfill the needs of a shelter worker.

Y'know, I'd like to see a potential adopter ask to examine a
shelter's books and tax returns, the licenses and permits to run the
shelter and for their most recent health inspection results. Then take
random stool samples and swab areas of the shelter and send them to a
lab to be checked for pathogens. Then ask the shelter to provide a
random list of past adopter's phone numbers so that the potential
adopter can ask about that person's satisfaction. Being treated in the
same manner as they treat potential adopters might wake a few of them
up....
--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs
10/9/2005 3:16:25 PM
anais+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old October 10th 05, 01:43 AM
Miss Violette

I understand your frustration and what you say is all too common, I was
pointing out there are a few that actually do it right, so there is hope,
asking the breeders to train is an excellent idea, soft

Old October 13th 05, 04:25 AM
Sylvia M.

Meowmee gotted me frum un Aminal Rezku groop.
Day wuz nize.
Awlzo sum breeders have kitys da ar 'retiring'.
Doze ar effurr giffen , ur kozt less.

Pitoonya

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 04:17 AM