POLL - Is it OK to breed your cat?

Old February 4th 05, 07:32 PM
KellyH

"Ashley" wrote in message
As long as you are committed to keeping and caring for the kittens should
you not be able to find suitable homes for them, then, yes, I would say it
is OK. I'd have serious, serious doubts about someone who allowed their
cat to have more than one litter this way, however. And I don't think it's
OK if you're not prepared to provide a caring home for the kittens if you
can't find others who will adopt them.

Just curious, but why should a female cat have to suffer through heat and
carrying a litter just because someone wants kittens? If someone wants
kittens that bad, there are plenty already out there.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 4th 05, 07:34 PM
Mary

wrote in message
ups.com...
It can be tempting, when your pet is so great. But it IS wrong to
bring more cats into this world. Even if you find them all happy
homes, they may end up having one or two litters...before you know it
you a responsible for the beginning of lots of cats.

On the other hand, a litter of kittens is such a joy! Ask your friend
to call a few rescue groups, they always need foster homes for pregnant
kitties. She can make herself available to foster, thus enjoying the
babies while being responsible.

P.S. Nice to meet you all, I'm new here!-Becky

Welcome, Becky!

Old February 4th 05, 07:45 PM
Ashley

"KellyH" wrote in message

Just curious, but why should a female cat have to suffer through heat and
carrying a litter just because someone wants kittens?

Life is full of people making such decisions.

If someone wants
kittens that bad, there are plenty already out there.

Yes, there are. But the question was about if someone wanted *their* cat to
have kittens, was it OK? That they want *their* cat to have kittens is a
given in the question asked. I have responded to that question.

Old February 4th 05, 08:11 PM
Steve G

KellyH wrote:
I have been labeled an extremist and a lunatic because I do not think

it is
OK for someone to breed their cat. I'm wondering who else feels this

way.
BTW - this is not a breeder, it's just someone with a regular old

moggy who
wants kittens that are just as sweet and special as their cat.

I do not think breeding a regular mog' is OK. (I don't have a problem
with purebred cat breeding though, albeit with various caveats relating
to conformation, genetic health and such).

Steve.

Old February 4th 05, 08:17 PM
BarB

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:57:13 -0500, "KellyH"
wrote:

I have been labeled an extremist and a lunatic because I do not think it is
OK for someone to breed their cat. I'm wondering who else feels this way.
BTW - this is not a breeder, it's just someone with a regular old moggy who
wants kittens that are just as sweet and special as their cat.

No, it is not OK to breed just any cat. The chances of the kittens
inheriting the traits of the mother are close to zero. Even breeders,
breeding known lines, can not control traits in all offspring.

If a person wants the joy of raising kittens, please send them to
me. I can find them a pregnant female in no time. Animal Control is
euthanizing beautiful pregnant females constantly.

BarB

Old February 4th 05, 08:45 PM
KellyH

wrote in message
ups.com...
On the other hand, a litter of kittens is such a joy! Ask your friend
to call a few rescue groups, they always need foster homes for pregnant
kitties. She can make herself available to foster, thus enjoying the
babies while being responsible.

P.S. Nice to meet you all, I'm new here!-Becky

The person I was referring to is another poster on this ng, with whom I have
been having a spat.

I can attest to the joys and heartaches of foster mommas and kittens. I 've
had a few, and it is a neat experience.

Old February 4th 05, 08:47 PM
KellyH

"Karen" wrote in message
I think it is completely unnecessary, at least in the U.S. Way too many
pets need homes.

Amen. I guess there will be a lot of people joining Mary and I in the loony
bin

Old February 4th 05, 09:11 PM
Cheryl

On Fri 04 Feb 2005 11:57:13a, KellyH wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

I have been labeled an extremist and a lunatic because I do not
think it is OK for someone to breed their cat. I'm wondering
who else feels this way. BTW - this is not a breeder, it's just
someone with a regular old moggy who wants kittens that are just
as sweet and special as their cat.

Kelly, you're neither extreme in your passion of this, nor are you a
lunatic. No, it isn't ok to intentionally breed a pet cat. I have
issues about breeding pedigrees, too, but that's just me. Even if
*everyone* stopped breeding their pet cats, there would be no
shortage of kittens to become pets.

I can't imagine you're going to get many replies here saying that
it's ok.

--
Cheryl
Old February 4th 05, 10:42 PM
Slimpickins

"KellyH" wrote in message
I have been labeled an extremist and a lunatic because I do not think it

is
OK for someone to breed their cat. I'm wondering who else feels this way.
BTW - this is not a breeder, it's just someone with a regular old moggy

who
wants kittens that are just as sweet and special as their cat.

--
-Kelly

***My answer is, "of course!". This assumes that the owner(s) are loving,
and very responsible and will be completely responsible for the kittens
needs, care, and placement. Isn't this America after all?

ML