"Making Arrangements" for Cats

Old September 29th 04, 09:29 PM
CatNipped

Default "Making Arrangements" for Cats

I'm wondering at what the older members of this group (or any of you, for
that matter) may have done as far as making arragements for their cats to be
taken care of if they should pass away before their cats do.

This subject was brought up on another group and it got me wondering. My DH
and I haven't made out our wills yet (really, really need to - it just
hasn't seemed urgent since our kids are grown and, aside from our house, we
really don't have a pot to p*ss in ;).

However, thinking about what might happen to my fur-babies should something
happen to both of us has made it seem more urgent.

Giving them to my son is out of the question because his wife will not
tolerate a cat in the house (the cat my son has had since before his
marriage has managed just fine since she was born and raised outside, and
they live on a dead-end, very quiet street). Their current kitten will
probably join his other cat outside as soon as he's old enough in my DIL's
eyes.

My cats, however, have never been outside and would not know how to cope.

Neither would I want my daughter and SIL to take them - they have two d*gs
and are not really "cat people".

So, I have no idea what would happen to my babies, and have now gotten
myself all worried about it. I can only hope that they do not outlive me
and from now on only adopt older cats. Thankfully, my family is very
long-lived (my grandmother was still walking 5 miles a day when she died at
age 105, and my mother, 78, goes dancing or bowling every day of the week),
so I'm hoping this problem will never arise.

Anyway, what have others here done?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 29th 04, 09:49 PM
Victor Martinez

We haven't done it, but it's in our "to do" list. What we plan to do is
have a trust set up so that if we both die at the same time, there is
money to take care of the cats. We're still unsure on how to do the
"take care of the cats" part. There are organizations that you can pay
money to and they will take over your cats when you die (can't find a
link right now) or you could also have a designated person who would get
the money in exchange of taking care of the cats.
Any other ideas would be most appreciated!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 29th 04, 10:28 PM
Margaret Fine

Victor Martinez wrote:
We haven't done it, but it's in our "to do" list. What we plan to do is
have a trust set up so that if we both die at the same time, there is
money to take care of the cats. We're still unsure on how to do the
"take care of the cats" part. There are organizations that you can pay
money to and they will take over your cats when you die (can't find a
link right now) or you could also have a designated person who would get
the money in exchange of taking care of the cats.
Any other ideas would be most appreciated!

Two places I can think of off the top of my head:

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/depts/develop...et/program.htm
and
http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?...G_Pet_Survivor

Both offer someone the opportunity to leave money to each organization
and the animal will receive care for life. the top link is the Kansas
State University Vet school where they will find a loving home for your
pet and monitor it for the rest of the pet's life. Your money is used to
insure the medical costs for your pet will always be covered. The cost
is $25,000.

The last link is the Texas SPCA. They have two options. 1) leave the
SPCA 10,000 and they'll find a loving home and monitor the pet for the
rest of the pet's life. 2) For $25,000 they have a life care cottage
where your pet will spend their remaining days in a home like setting
being cared for by the SPCA.

Both of these can be funded thru a small life insurance policy and
they'll work with you to make sure the money and pet arrangements are
legally set up.

I also know there are other places out there.

As for me...For the dog I have made an arrangement with my in laws.
I'll take their Newfie if need be and they'll take my boy. They have
also offered to take Oliver but I wonder if it would be the best
situation since my M-I-L is an avid gardener and has hundreds of house
plants just waiting to be knocked over and chewed on. If my in laws go
before me (and don't take this the wrong way but I hope they do.
They're 30 years older than me!) I have a sibling who I would trust for
the dog. For the cat I have two candidates among the siblings. Both
animals come with a some money for their care so as to not burden
anyone. I need to see if an animal trust is legal in MD when we do our
wills in the next year.
--
Margaret Fine

Old September 29th 04, 10:42 PM
Victor Martinez

Margaret Fine wrote:
rest of the pet's life. 2) For $25,000 they have a life care cottage
where your pet will spend their remaining days in a home like setting
being cared for by the SPCA.

How many pets (including horses!?!?!) can you fit in one 2,500 square
feet home?
http://www.spca.org/site/PageServer?...e=AP_Life_Care

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old September 29th 04, 11:08 PM
Nan

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:29:18 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

I have 4 kids who are animal lovers. The oldest is the one with the
DH who isn't allowed to go to TED anymore because he brings home
kittens. The youngest has d*gs, cats, and kids. The other 2 have
d*gs.
--

Nan and the furkids

A wise man talks because he has something to say;
a fool talks because he has to say something.

Old September 29th 04, 11:12 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:29:18 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

snip
Anyway, what have others here done?

hmmm, sorry to say, but like and Victor so far I haven't done
anything. Making a will just isn't something a healthy person thinks
much about, although everyone probably should. I THINK my last will
was done when I retired in '93, but the only one I positively remember
was while deploying to the first Gulf war. Anyway, thanks for the
reminder, now to get off my a## and do something about it.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: