Sleep and Other Purrs Needed (long)

Old January 9th 05, 03:45 PM
jmcquown

Default Sleep and Other Purrs Needed (long)

Please allow me a little venting and a few more purr requests.

I am having one heck of a time sleeping. I've always had occasional bouts
of insomnia and usually when I sense something like this coming on I'll take
a valerian root capsule about 30 minutes before bedtime. It works
(usually). My doctor had prescribed Ambien and that worked well without
making me feel like a zombie. But since I an still unemployed and without
insurance I can't afford the prescription. (I told him about the valerian
and he saw no problem with it combined with my other medications, which he
gives me samples of whenever he has them.)

Unfortunately, lately valerian isn't working. I can't get my mind to 'turn
off' and I can't get comfortable. Last night I took two capsules but
literally only dozed, very briefly, and even when dozing was pretty much
aware of everything going on (e.g., cars driving by, the fan in my room - I
can't sleep without 'white noise'). I tossed and turned to the point of
Persia moving well away from me because I was disturbing her sleep! No
matter what position I was in, my arms ached. (I haven't been formally
diagnosed but at my age I know I've got arthritis - aspirin once in the
morning and once before bed helps with that, but I ran out of aspirin.)

I'm under a great deal of stress. My unemployment insurance ceased in
November. I've had no luck finding a job even though I've been on
interviews and have 2 headhunters searching for positions for me as well as
going out and applying myself.

My savings are exhausted. As of right now I have no idea how I'll pay my
rent for February. I had to sign another lease in December; the manager
agreed not to raise my rent due to my situation but if I hadn't signed a
lease, I'd be subject to possible monthly increases mandated by her bosses
(out of her control). Then of course there's the utility bill which will be
due at the end of this month, my phone bill... you get the gyst.

The *fun* part of being me and flat broke is I don't qualify for any sort of
government aid such as Medicaid, food stamps or welfare. Why? (Grrrrrr)
Because I'm single and have no dependents AND because I have an IRA. Never
mind that I can't touch my IRA without incurring severe early withdrawal
penalties - why would I want to mess with it? If I use up that money what
happens when I do have to retire?! Ticks me off.

I'm still waiting for a determination on my SSD claim (which I'm pretty sure
they will deny, at least on the first go-round).

I'm also still worried about John's health after his relapses following his
surgery in December, although he says he's recovering nicely now.

So, I could use some sleep purrs. Purrs that John recovers completely.
More job purrs/financial purrs. And dirty litterbox offerings to the people
who designed "government" benefits which are not available to a person such
as myself who worked hard for 27 years but isn't entitled to squat
because... well, just because.

Jill

Old January 9th 05, 03:54 PM
Christina Websell

Oh, Jill, you have my sympathy. I know exactly what you mean. I think it'd
be best if I private mailed you if that's okay.

Tweed

.. .

Old January 9th 05, 04:00 PM
jmcquown

Christina Websell wrote:
Oh, Jill, you have my sympathy. I know exactly what you mean. I
think it'd be best if I private mailed you if that's okay.

Tweed

That would be fine with me. My email is not munged.

Jill

.. .

Old January 9th 05, 04:09 PM
Pat

Take those valerian caps with a cup of camomile tea, and don't be afraid to
take 2-3 caps at a time. If you add hops to the equation (the tea tastes
awful so use the caps also) it will work even better.

Cheapest supplements are at www.swansonvitamins.com I have used them for
years. They have a hops-valerian combo 100 caps for $4.49.

Old January 9th 05, 04:15 PM
Victor Martinez

jmcquown wrote:
Unfortunately, lately valerian isn't working. I can't get my mind to 'turn
off' and I can't get comfortable. Last night I took two capsules but

Have you tried melatonin? My mom suffered from insomnia for years, until
she discovered it. Now she has no problem sleeping.

So, I could use some sleep purrs. Purrs that John recovers completely.
More job purrs/financial purrs. And dirty litterbox offerings to the people
who designed "government" benefits which are not available to a person such
as myself who worked hard for 27 years but isn't entitled to squat
because... well, just because.

Lots and lots of purrs going your way.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 9th 05, 04:15 PM
O J

Jill wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
So, I could use some sleep purrs. Purrs that John recovers completely.
More job purrs/financial purrs. And dirty litterbox offerings to the people
who designed "government" benefits which are not available to a person such
as myself who worked hard for 27 years but isn't entitled to squat
because... well, just because.

No wonder you have trouble getting a good night's sleep. Purrs that
your life will have a big turnaround and that you can get that
peaceful repose you deserve.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old January 9th 05, 04:20 PM
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
Unfortunately, lately valerian isn't working. I can't get my mind
to 'turn off' and I can't get comfortable. Last night I took two
capsules but

Have you tried melatonin? My mom suffered from insomnia for years,
until
she discovered it. Now she has no problem sleeping.

Yep, Victor. I tried it and it made me so completely groggy all the next
day, even with only half a capsule, I threw them out.

Old January 9th 05, 04:21 PM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Jill, you might want to ask your doctor about Fibromyalgia (but be warned, a
lot of doctors don't even acknowledge that it exists - you might have to
find out who does if you think you might have it). Here's a link to a
diagram that shows Fibromyalgia "trigger points". You can do a quick
self-test to see if you might have it. Go to
http://hon.nucleusinc.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=4794 and then "poke"
yourself (not hard) on the points shown in the diagram. If you feel more
pain here than when you poke yourself somewhere else on your body, it's a
sign that you may have Fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia causes / is caused by insomnia. There are no tests that will
diagnose it (which is why a lot of doctors don't believe it exists) - you
can score perfect on every physical test there is and still have it. The
best diagnosis is the above trigger point test, but other than that it is
diagnosed by its symptoms: general pain (which you may mistake for
arthritis) which is greater in the morning, insomnia or disturbed sleep
(waking every half hour or so all night), fatigue, irratible bowel syndrome,
chronic headaches, temperomandibular joint disfunction syndrome, "Fibrofog"
(cognitive or memory impairment), multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome,
myofascial pain syndrome, dysmenorrhea, urinary and pelvic problems,
dizziness, cold symptoms, chest symptoms, skin complaints, and lots of other
symptoms that doctors have been dismissing in women for years as "nerves".

Fibromyalgia has been acknowledged by the SSA as an eligible disability, so
if you get a diagnosis of this, you may qualify easier for disability.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 9th 05, 04:28 PM
Dan M

jmcquown wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

Oh, Jill, you have my sympathy. I know exactly what you mean. I
think it'd be best if I private mailed you if that's okay.

Tweed

That would be fine with me. My email is not munged.

Jill

I just sent you an e-mail as well.

Dan
Old January 9th 05, 04:32 PM
LMarks

"Pat" wrote in message
Take those valerian caps with a cup of camomile tea, and don't be afraid
take 2-3 caps at a time. If you add hops to the equation (the tea tastes
awful so use the caps also) it will work even better.

Cheapest supplements are at www.swansonvitamins.com I have used them for
years. They have a hops-valerian combo 100 caps for $4.49.

Jill - During my father's last illness and for some months after, my mother
drank camomile tea every night and swore by it. Like Pat, I think it tastes
pretty bad but I'm not a good judge as I need sugar and milk in plain
tea......Lorna