Purrs needed for a friend

Old March 17th 05, 10:19 PM
KellyH

Default Purrs needed for a friend

I don't normally ask for purrs here, and I rarely post my purrs, although I
do read the requests and keep them in my thoughts. I have a friend in need
of some purrs.

My friend "J" works tirelessly TNR'ing ferals, persuading people to
spay/neuter their pets, and rescuing cats. She even goes to people's houses
and transports their cats to and from the vet, sometimes pays the s/n fee
herself if they can't pay.
This past week has been really hard on her, and she is so burned out. She
has been working with a family that had 4 cats, 3 females, one male, and a
German Shepherd. She somehow persuaded them to give up the male and one
female cat and she got them into the shelter where we both volunteer. The
other female was spayed, and the last just had kittens and she was trying to
convince them to surrender the kittens and spay the momma when they are old
enough. The couple was planning on breeding the dog and selling the
puppies. Oh, they also wanted to sell the kittens and thought they could
get a lot of money for them since they are white. All the females have had
at least 3 litters in their short lives
Anyway, after working on them for some time, they finally agreed to neuter
the dog. The dog ended up dying after the neuter from a complication. The
woman called her up and was very verbally abusive. J feels awful, like this
was all her fault. Adding to this, her foster cat that no one would take
was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and is hanging on by a thread. She had
to take her to the emergency in the middle of the night.
J deals with some scum of the earth people in her spay/neuter ventures. I
don't know how she does it. The animals need her, and I would hate for her
to quit. I told her take some time off and clear your head. I hope she
takes it.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 17th 05, 11:06 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-17, KellyH penned:
Anyway, after working on them for some time, they finally agreed to neuter
the dog. The dog ended up dying after the neuter from a complication. The
woman called her up and was very verbally abusive. J feels awful, like this
was all her fault. Adding to this, her foster cat that no one would take
was diagnosed with intestinal cancer and is hanging on by a thread. She had
to take her to the emergency in the middle of the night.
J deals with some scum of the earth people in her spay/neuter ventures. I
don't know how she does it. The animals need her, and I would hate for her
to quit. I told her take some time off and clear your head. I hope she
takes it.

Poor J. We're sending purrs.

I strongly believe that in order to help others, you have to first take care
of yourself. Otherwise the house of cards will fall. If J needs time off,
she should take it.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 17th 05, 11:18 PM
polonca12000

Poor J! Please let her know we are thinking of her, sending her best wishes
and purrs - she is a great lady. Thank her so much for taking care of the
poor animals. And it was absolutely *not* her fault!
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old March 18th 05, 12:15 AM
Christina Websell

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

Your friend does a good job in persuading people who might not otherwise do
it, to spay and neuter their cats.
OTOH, I cannot help but have some sympathy for the family whose dog is now
dead because she encouraged them to have her spayed and she died. Even
people described as "scum of the earth" whatever that means can love their
animals, so perhaps a bit of verbal abuse over the death is understandable.
After all, the dog would still be alive if she hadn't been spayed.

Both my cats are spayed/neutered. They are "moggies" mongrels if you would
like to call it that. It isn't necessary for them to reproduce as there are
plenty of moggies in all the shelters waiting for homes.

*However* my dogs were pedigree, of a high show standard and I occasionally
bred from them. Not for money, but to spread their genes.
If someone like your friend had come along and asked to me to spay and
neuter all my dogs, I would have been quite, well, peeved, shall we say. I
will be the one to decide if and when it's necessary. If I had taken notice
of her, had a bitch spayed when I wouldn't have done and she died because of
it, to be quite honest I might have reacted in the same way.

She should carry on her crusade, but realise that as a result of her advice,
if their animal dies people are going to be angry and rightly so. She will
have to learn to deal with it, because for sure it will happen again.

Tweed

Old March 18th 05, 12:38 AM
Katz

KellyH wrote:

Wow! That's a tough situation. I feel so sorry for J and for the doggie
& her family. And I'm afraid that will put them off spaying forever.

Katz

Old March 18th 05, 12:41 AM
KellyH

Your friend does a good job in persuading people who might not otherwise
do it, to spay and neuter their cats.
OTOH, I cannot help but have some sympathy for the family whose dog is now
dead because she encouraged them to have her spayed and she died. Even
people described as "scum of the earth" whatever that means can love
their animals, so perhaps a bit of verbal abuse over the death is
understandable. After all, the dog would still be alive if she hadn't been
spayed.

That's exactly what she feels bad about, that the dog died because she
intervened. However, this dog was probably not pedigree, if they did breed
him, they would be backyard breeders and I'm sure would not
spay/neuter/vaccinate the puppies before selling them. They are living in a
motel room with a couple children, the dog, and four cats when she met them.
They are still the motel room, waiting for a bogus disability claim to come
in. The woman flat-out told her it's fake. I wasn't putting down the
people in any way for being upset that their dog died, I was just voicing
concern for my friend.

Update on that situation: J called them with the autopsy report, and the
woman initially sounded upset, but then was like "oh well", and said her
husband never liked the dog anyway She's still going to surrender the
kittens.

Some of the "scum of the earth" people she deals with are situations like:
Yelling at her for showing up "so early" (8 am) to pick up and
spay/neuter/vaccinate *their* cat for free, people who tell her things like
"I don't want to spay my cat. I'm going to sell her kittens on the
Internet.", getting kittens from a house because the boyfriend shot the
mother cat, going to the same farm to TNR and rescue cats for years because
people keep dumping cats there, calling to schedule free spay/neuter
appointments that *she* is paying for and being told "not then, we'll be in
Disney World" but the people can't pay for the s/n? Just some examples.

Old March 18th 05, 03:13 AM
Margaret Fine

KellyH wrote:

[...]

Please tell J that there are people that are very appreciative of what
she does and admire her for it. Purrs that she is feeling better about
everything soon.

--
Margaret Fine

Old March 18th 05, 03:32 AM
Helen Wheels

Good thoughts for your friend J! I don't know her, but I think I'd like to.

Old March 18th 05, 03:52 AM
KellyH

Thanks everyone for the purrs. I did pass along to her that there's a lot
of people sending her positive energy. J is in better spirits now, but
still feels awful about the dog. But, at least the people are still willing
to work with her and surrender the kittens and get the momma cat spayed.
Her foster cat is doing better. She's still at the vet's and being force
fed, but she should be able to go home tomorrow or the next day.

--

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
Good thoughts for your friend J! I don't know her, but I think I'd like
to.

Purrs for Stray Needed CatNipped Cat anecdotes 56 October 14th 04 02:46 PM
Purrs Needed Gizela Cat anecdotes 12 November 8th 03 03:51 PM
Job Purrs needed ann Cat anecdotes 17 November 3rd 03 07:03 PM
Double Purrs Needed Kate Cat anecdotes 16 October 19th 03 05:18 PM