high places

Old January 22nd 05, 03:39 AM
William Hamblen

Default high places

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:55:21 +0000, jmc
wrote:

ken wrote:
Why do kittens want to jump up to the highest places in a room..Mine
does this and in doing it, she knocks off phots, books, cd's, -
anything in her way.

Ken

Hunter instinct, I would guess. Easier to see the prey (you,probably)
from higher up. Not just kittens, they'll always do this.

I'm a bit more lucky, Meep doesn't like to knock things over, so she
won't go onto high places that have stuff on them.

It is a shock when you are sitting quietly and suddenly a cat flies
past your face as she jumps off the top of the refrigerator or
cupboard.

Old January 22nd 05, 06:36 AM
Tanada

wrote:

ken wrote:

Why do kittens want to jump up to the highest places in a room..Mine
does this and in doing it, she knocks off phots, books, cd's, -
anything in her way.

Ken

Hunter instinct, I would guess. Easier to see the prey (you,probably)

from higher up. Not just kittens, they'll always do this.

I'm a bit more lucky, Meep doesn't like to knock things over, so she
won't go onto high places that have stuff on them.

It is a shock when you are sitting quietly and suddenly a cat flies
past your face as she jumps off the top of the refrigerator or
cupboard.

Worse, when you're walking past the refrigerator or cupboard and a cat
comes zooming onto your head on the way down.

Pam S. who's had that happen a few times
Old January 22nd 05, 11:19 AM
jmcquown

ken wrote:
Why do kittens want to jump up to the highest places in a room..Mine
does this and in doing it, she knocks off phots, books, cd's, -
anything in her way.

Ken

[much cross-posting snipped]

Persia must be one of the few cats who doesn't like heights. She will get
on the back of the sofa, and on the toilet seat and bathroom counters.
That's it. No jumping on my desk, no jumping on the dresser, definitely no
jumping on the kitchen counters or my coffee table or end tables. I don't
think she's ever *thought* of trying to get up on the refrigerator.

I don't know how I wound up with such a well mannered lady. The only thing
I can figure is my dog Sampson (RB November 3, 1999) communicated the basic
rules before she yelled at my door 01/06/2001.

Jill

Old January 22nd 05, 09:19 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:39:15 -0500, Howard Berkowitz
yodeled:

In article , "Kim Walters"
wrote:

Rocket started this:

He starts in the living room, runs down the hallway, run into the
computer
room, leaps up the cat tree, jumps to the bookcase, and them to the next
bookcase. One day he is going to sling shot around and come flying back
into the hallway.

Clifford (RB) definitely had the slingshot approach, sometimes likened
to a circular nuclear accelerator. He was known to dash around the house
once or twice, building speed, and then leap for the ceiling. We had paw
marks on it.

OH YEAH!! I wish Stinky would do that instead of bouncing off of
*me*.

Theresa