We have 8 owners again

Old November 12th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

Default We have 8 owners again

Today, Jim (daughter Amanda's boyfriend) got a phone call over here from his
mom. His cat, Honor, scratched his six year old nephew. She was either
going to get Honor declawed or send her to a shelter. After hearing Rob and
I on the subject of de-claw, there was no way Jim was going to let his mom
mutilate her, and he loves his little tuxedo girl and was not going to let
her go to a shelter. So Honor is now living here.

When Jim first got Honor, she lived with us until his mom decided that she
liked the cat and asked for her to live at Jim's apartment. While his mom
has threatened to de-claw her on a regular basis for the three years that
she lived with them, I really don't think that she would have done it if it
weren't for Jim's sister, who won't have a clawed cat in her house.

May I ask you all to join us in welcoming Honor back to her home and in
sending dirty litter offerings to Jim's mom and sister for even thinking of
mutilating that poor little girl's feet?

Pam S.

Old November 12th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Heck, most six years old I've know deserve the occasional scratch. But I'm
thinking Honor will be happier with your crew anyway.

Jo

ink.net...

Old November 13th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:47:50 +0000, tanada wrote:

[...]

Yeah! I'll even save a bunch to send. Purrs for wellbeing of all
concerned. MLB

Old November 13th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

When I was six I remember getting scratched frequently by the family
cats, and my parents thought nothing of it. Not to imply that my
parents were negligent, as they definitely weren't. De-clawing or
dumping a cat at the pound seems an extreme response to cat scratching,
it would be better to teach the 6 yo how to not annoy the cat!

However Honor will have a great life with you. Litter box offerings to
that daft woman who has taught that 6yo boy that its okay to ditch your
animals when they become annoying.

Dewi.

Old November 13th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Dewi wrote:

When I was six I remember getting scratched frequently by the family
cats, and my parents thought nothing of it. Not to imply that my
parents were negligent, as they definitely weren't. De-clawing or
dumping a cat at the pound seems an extreme response to cat scratching,
it would be better to teach the 6 yo how to not annoy the cat!

Same here. My parents wouldn't have considered declawing a cat. I do
remember my father occasionally yelling at us if we got up in a dog
or cat's face a little too much, especially if our own faces were
vulnerable. They didn't want us to be scratched in the eyes or bitten
on the nose. But they didn't get bent out of shape if we got scratched
on the hands or legs, etc. It's a good lesson for kids about their pet's
limits of tolerance for having their tail pulled and so on.

I think when parents flip out and dump an animal because little Junior
got scratched on the arm, they teach the kid not only that animals are
disposable, but also that the child is overly fragile. That'll warp a
kid, too.

Joyce
Old November 13th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

Dewi wrote:
When I was six I remember getting scratched frequently by the family
cats, and my parents thought nothing of it. Not to imply that my
parents were negligent, as they definitely weren't. De-clawing or
dumping a cat at the pound seems an extreme response to cat scratching,
it would be better to teach the 6 yo how to not annoy the cat!

However Honor will have a great life with you. Litter box offerings to
that daft woman who has taught that 6yo boy that its okay to ditch your
animals when they become annoying.

Dewi.

Well said! Shoot, I don't tease my girls, but I still get an odd,
accidental scratch here and there. But I'd never consider declawing
either of them. If our family cat ever scratched me when I was growing
up, I had it coming, as I probably earned it through teasing dear old
Luna. My mother certainly wouldn't have had her declawed on that basis.
Even Midnight, the feline terrorist who belonged to my aunt was never
threatened with declawing at any time, and he not only scratched, he
bit! And she had five kids.

Dirty litter box offerings indeed! But Welcome back home to those who
truly love and value you, Honor.

Melissa

Old November 13th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

tanada wrote:
[...]

Wow! Honor's made it to Chez Shirk (aka Kitty Heaven). Congrats on the
new family member.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old November 13th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:47:50 GMT, "tanada"
wrote:

[...]

My grandma and mom used to tell us kids "you tease the dogs/cats and
get bit or scratched, don't come crying to me!" I had plenty of
scratches when I was growing up, and have quite a few right now,
courtesy of my crew. (Giving meds is NOT the favourite thing to do
around here.) I haven't died from them yet, and don't expect to
anytime in the future.

As for the sister as my lebanese english teacher said, may the fleas
of 100 camels infest her armpits, and may she have casts on both arms!

Mishi

Old November 13th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default fleas, camels, armpits

Mishi wrote:

As for the sister as my lebanese english teacher said, may the fleas
of 100 camels infest her armpits, and may she have casts on both arms!

LOL!! The Middle East appears to be a source of good curses. I've
heard a Jewish one that goes like this: "May all the teeth fall out
of your mouth except one, and that one have a toothache."

Joyce
Old November 13th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

tanada wrote:
[...]

Of course dirty litterbox offerings of the worst kind. It's really good
of you all to take her in. If you're like us, in a short while she'll
just blend in and you won't even notice an extra.
Can't believe they blamed the cat for scratching the kid. When I used
to come bawling to my mom because I got scratched/bitten, I never even
got sympathy. Her first response was always, "Well what did you do to
he/she/it?"

Sherry