specific problem

Old November 23rd 03, 11:46 AM

Default specific problem

Hello, we have a house cat for 14 yrs. now (along with
2 other house cats) and all of a sudden about 2 months
ago this one 14 yr. old cat starting having this strange
new and terrible problem of pooping and peeing on the
carpet (or where ever he happens to be ) instead of using
the litter box like he has for 14yrs. We immediately took
him to the Vet since our house enviroment was deteriorating
rapidly what with the smell and all. We cleaned the carpet
twice (since once did not get rid of the smell ). The Vet did
find that he had a kidney infection and prescribed antibiotics.
After about a week or so the antibiotics were completed and
we took him back for a follow up and the Vet said the kidney
infection was cured. However we "still" are having new poop
piles and the situation is getting serious. We can't even have
people over because our house is starting to smell like a
litter box. Has anyone ever had a similar problem and is there
anything we can do to fix this problem other than putting the
cat to rest.

Old November 23rd 03, 01:26 PM
Linda Hartley

Dont go to that extreme.....
first is there anything new in the house? He may be feeling stressed at
something so check that out first
Is he drinking more? Is he lsoing any weight?
If so then this could also be a possible thyroid condition...get the vet to
check for that
Is his stools normal colour? If not perhaps there is something more....check
for IBD, or thickening of the bwel walls, get his counts done for
cancer...check out his bowels for Alimenttray
lyphosarcoma/adenocarcinoma...I am not wishing to frighten you or anything
just that I lost my Yogi yesterday and a few years back he started this and
we had tests done...he had thryoid and bowel wall thickening...
Have you changed his diet at all? That could have an affect.
Use vinegar solution tog et rid of smells it really does help and work. Do
not use anything with ammonia in it as this just encourages them to come
back to the same spot. Alos perhaps bring a litter tray to the place where
he does this most ...perhaps he is caught short...
Hope this helps
LInda

Old November 24th 03, 07:53 PM
-L.

"D" NoMail@NoSpam wrote in message ...
Hello, we have a house cat for 14 yrs. now (along with
2 other house cats) and all of a sudden about 2 months
ago this one 14 yr. old cat starting having this strange
new and terrible problem of pooping and peeing on the
carpet (or where ever he happens to be ) instead of using
the litter box like he has for 14yrs.

snip

When is the last time you bought a new litter box? Plastics retain
odors and if the litter box is old, it needs to be replaced. I
recommend buying a new box every year just for this reason. Once the
cat got used to using the carpet, the litter box will appear less
attractive, so you need to make it more attractive. Dr. Elsey's Cat
Attract litter can help as well: http://www.preciouscat.com I have
recommended it to cats with elimination problems with great success.

Also, you have to completely kill the odor in the carpet for it to not
be as attractive - there is a product called ODORKILL which is
available in pet sotres that should do the trick. Forget Nature's
Miracle and the like - IMO, they don't work as well as ODORKILL.

Also, be sure the kidney infection is gone. You cannot be sure unless
you have the cat check again. Inflamation and pain will keep a cat
from using a box. If pain is the source of the problem, no amount of
behavior modification will help.

best of luck,
-L.