Use of Frontline for Dogs on a cat

Old March 14th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sideshow

Default Use of Frontline for Dogs on a cat

Has anyone here used this website?
http://www.nomorefleasplease.com/

To quote their website,
Is the formulation for Frontline Plus the same for dogs and cats?
The active ingredients are exactly the same. Both contain exactly the
same 9.8% fipronil by liquid volume. Fipronil is the ingredient that
kills fleas. There is one difference though. Frontline Plus for dogs
contains 8.8% (S)-methoprene and Frontline Plus for cats contains
11.8% (S)-methoprene. (S)-methoprene is the active ingredient that
sterilizes Fleas, ticks, and their larva and eggs. This 3% difference
will in no way affect the flea killing properties of the kit. We have
sold thousands of the Frontline Plus Kits for cats without incident so
never fear.

What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
our cats?
Old March 14th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

When it comes to safety why take the chance of some no name website telling
you it is ok

IMO ALWAYS use the version made for cats Chances are for Vegas and I am
not talking about the cat named Vegas either ;-)

Old March 14th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Poe

sideshow wrote:
Has anyone here used this website?
http://www.nomorefleasplease.com/

To quote their website,
Is the formulation for Frontline Plus the same for dogs and cats?
The active ingredients are exactly the same. Both contain exactly the
same 9.8% fipronil by liquid volume. Fipronil is the ingredient that
kills fleas. There is one difference though. Frontline Plus for dogs
contains 8.8% (S)-methoprene and Frontline Plus for cats contains
11.8% (S)-methoprene. (S)-methoprene is the active ingredient that
sterilizes Fleas, ticks, and their larva and eggs. This 3% difference
will in no way affect the flea killing properties of the kit. We have
sold thousands of the Frontline Plus Kits for cats without incident so
never fear.

What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
our cats?

I wouldn't bother. Just use the formula specifically created for cats.
What if you mess up, what'd ya save, a few bucks? Not worth it. Plus,
because cats groom themselves in a way dogs don't, perhaps there is
something in the cat formula that tastes bad to prevent them from
licking it off. Idk - I'd just use the correct formula for the target
animal.
Old March 14th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"sideshow" wrote
What's the scoop? Can we use the dog formula, in smaller dosages, on
our cats?

Here's the scoop: keep your cats in where they can't get fleas

Old March 14th 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sideshow

They ARE indoor cats. The groomer says it's common for people to bring
them in on pant legs after working in the garden or yard. There are
LOTS of squirrels, and a few ferals around the house, which is located
in a very wooded area.
Old March 14th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"sideshow" wrote in message
They ARE indoor cats. The groomer says it's common for people to bring
them in on pant legs after working in the garden or yard. There are
LOTS of squirrels, and a few ferals around the house, which is located
in a very wooded area.

I see. I recall that from when I lived in Florida, too. Don't take any
chances with the frontline. Call and ask your vet, maybe.

Old March 15th 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Cyber In Florida it is bad where I live
but everywhere that fleas are present they can become hitch hikers and go
along for a long ride

"sideshow" wrote